J-Ranko's 15 Gallon Rimless Nano

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Very very nice tank you have here.... im very impress. Question about the mame design. Does your overflow does self start?

Beautiful tank

Thank you!

Very very nice tank you have here.... im very impress. Question about the mame design. Does your overflow does self start?

Thanks! No, the overflow does not self-start. It has to be manually primed. However, once it's primed it maintains its siphon even through a power outage. The actual MAME overflow has a venturi fitting on the return line that primes and maintains the siphon in the overflow line. The venturi is operational so long as the return pump is running. Hence, it is self-starting and self-maintaining.

I experimented with various venturi configurations on my return line to make it work like the MAME overflow, but I failed after several different designs. I haven't given up on it completely yet, but I might abandon it altogether once the actual MAME overflow becomes available next month (hopefully).

The thunderstorm that ripped through the area last night knocked out my power for 8.5 hours! I had the tank covered in blankets and used my car's battery to run a powerhead and a heater. My tank's temp still fell to 71 degrees by the time the power was restored.

I barely had any sleep, but everything seems OK. Except my derasa clam. It's still closed up. I hope it'll make it. :(

Thank you!

Thanks! No, the overflow does not self-start. It has to be manually primed. However, once it's primed it maintains its siphon even through a power outage. The actual MAME overflow has a venturi fitting on the return line that primes and maintains the siphon in the overflow line. The venturi is operational so long as the return pump is running. Hence, it is self-starting and self-maintaining.

I experimented with various venturi configurations on my return line to make it work like the MAME overflow, but I failed after several different designs. I haven't given up on it completely yet, but I might abandon it altogether once the actual MAME overflow becomes available next month (hopefully).

My understand was that the MAME was quoted as using a venturi but it wasnt actually a venturi. It was a constant flow of water that filled the pipe to do a restart. It works just like a toilet.

Don

Lame! I'm sure everything will pull through though... :) just will prolly take a day or two of being back to normal. For the future, you may want to pick up one of those exteral battery power supplies to run a heater and small powerhead in such emergencies... Like these: Backup Power Generator, Emergency Power Supply | Duracell They work great for keeping a nano going during short power outages...

Lame! I'm sure everything will pull through though... :) just will prolly take a day or two of being back to normal. For the future, you may want to pick up one of those exteral battery power supplies to run a heater and small powerhead in such emergencies... Like these: Backup Power Generator, Emergency Power Supply | Duracell They work great for keeping a nano going during short power outages...

It took a few hours. :p Everything, including the clam, is back to normal. :D

Thanks for the back-up power suggestions--didn't know Duracell made those.

Looks like my orange plate coral ate a stomatella snail!

platecoralsnail.jpg

Just saw it this morning. I think it's a stomatella based on two things:

1. The outline, size and shape of it.
2. Two days ago I saw the plate coral nearly catch a stomatella snail out at night. The snail barely escaped.

It seems a little too big for its mouth, though.

Finally got some new FTS since I installed the vortech mp10!

FTS_01V.jpg

FTS_02V.jpg

FTS_03V.jpg

As you can see, I had to move the gorgonian behind the right island, since it was too close to the vortech. Not sure if I'll keep it there, though.

New video! Click on the image below to watch the video (viewable in 720p):

In the video, my Vortech mp10es is on short-pulse wave-making mode. I don't normally run it in this mode because of the noise and splashing. Most of the time, I have it on reefcrest mode at 75%.

so is that the only pump in there? no other pump? amaizing... i like it.

Yup. It's the only one, but it can push as much as 1800 gph and has a very wide flow and strong undertow. The Vortech mp10 is definitely sufficient by itself--even for sps--when it comes to nano tanks. I don't even have it at full power in the video--just around 75%.

Impressive!!! I am a flow junkie! Once had just over 100x turnover rate in a 38 gal cube LOL!!! That vortech is really working!! :)

100X krish... I only have 30X planned for my nano. Do I need to increase that a bit?

Its not about quantity it quality that counts. Turn over rate doesnt really matter if the flow is not doing its job. One thing with pumps like the vortecs is they dont brake the surface as seen in the video. Great flow and the corals have great movement but the oxygen exchange is not there. For some tanks this wont matter especially shallow ones but bigger tanks its a real problem.

Don

Its not about quantity it quality that counts. Turn over rate doesnt really matter if the flow is not doing its job. One thing with pumps like the vortecs is they dont brake the surface as seen in the video. Great flow and the corals have great movement but the oxygen exchange is not there. For some tanks this wont matter especially shallow ones but bigger tanks its a real problem.

Don

The wave-making mode may not have as much surface agitation but the vortech can definitely provide a lot of surface agitation for gas exchange. I run in on ReefCrest mode most of the time and that definitely breaks the surface, especially when it ramps up to maximum speed. The wave-making mode in the video was only for showing-off. ;) It's just one of its many capabilities.

Here's another video showing the Vortech "breaking" the surface throughout:

When you have a large tank, you would employ multiple Vortech's at different depths, with one close to the surface to create agitation like in the video above. These pumps have to ability to sync with each other via their controllers.

Back