January 19th PSAS Meeting: Fish Food Making

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jnarowe

Beer-a-holic
I have been toying around with the idea of having a Fish Food Making Party at my place since so many people are interested in how I do this...anyone want to do it? I figure I will run out in about a week, and it would be fun to combine reef people, smelly fish parts, and alcohol...who's in???

This sounds like fun and a good learning experience too :exclaim:

Will this be before or after the PSAS Holiday party?
(After, I hope)

Got a pool table? :D

Vicki

I would also be interested. This is something I have been wanting to do for a while, but haven't had the motivation to get started with.

hey guys and gals...glad to see some interest. Why don't we poll for a date. If the 22nd is good for the majority, that would be fine for me too. We can do it later or after the first if people are too busy with the Holidays. Then we have to figure out a time. My tank lights come on 1 - 2pm, go off 4 - 5pm and then on until 9 pm. I usually feed around 7:30 pm. But, that does not mean we have to do it during any specific time.

After the Holidays would actually work best for me, but I'd try to make it on any date that is set.

Hey.....wonder what the club has planned for the January meeting???
Anyone on the BOD know what's happening?

Vicki

My schedule is pretty varied starting on Wed. So I am in depending on the date! I have been looking at doing this for quite awhile. So... Date, Time, Where, What to bring. Thanks

Good question. I had planned to just make up a batch like I always do and slide each person a small baggy to try. Maybe like a dime bag or even two fingers. It's not easy to get all the ingredients together so I figure this would be more of a get-together with some educational value. I already have enough ingredients to cover it.

What I would like, is for everyone to bring something that they currently feed, like flakes, pellets etc. I would like to do some testing as a group so everyone can get an understanding of what prepared foods are doing to their water quality.

No reason to get formal about it, and my house is a long haul to make it an official PSAS event, but I don't mind if the club wants to do that. My place is about 10 min. from the Shark Reef. I just figured I need to make food and several people have asked me about how I do it, so why not get together and have some fun? :)

nah. That's part of the whole point. When you make your own, it's pretty cheap. When I do a batch, it will last about 3 months+ and I have about 35 fish. When I send people home with a little bag to try out, it will be worth less than $1.

I also forgot to mention that part of the deal is to do a feeding so everyone can get an idea of my method and why I do it the way I do. Sherman and I have been contemplating a feeding vid, but we just haven't gotten around to it.

Sherman and I just got done doing a run of food and working on the presentation. It turned out very well, we made some refinements to the process and got the results for some testing done on food in various states.

I think we were both happy with the thought process and the results, and believe that this will be a good learning experience for any level reef keeper.

So is this happening tomorrow? I'd be interested if it's later in the day (have to dive in the mid-morning here in Seattle). I also can't do January until after the 12th as I'll be in Florida :\ (well, yay for Florida but this sounds like an awesome time :)

Back