January 19th PSAS Meeting: Fish Food Making

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Getting things squared away. Tried to get my son to clean the octo but it didn't turn out well. I think I am going to soak it in a Rubbermaid with muriatic acid.

The viewing room is about half-way yarded out! I have picked up the ingredients for our fish food so that is squared away, and getting together a testing station so members can test any food samples they may bring.

One of the big questions I have is whether or not to use chairs. The room is big enough for theater style rows, but I am not sure that is the best way to do it. I sort have a mental image (don't laugh!) of everyone crowding around the presentation table so that everything is clearly visible.

Anyone have thoughts on that? Does anyone in the club have access to a bunch of folding chairs? How about Eric?? :D

NEWS FLASH: I have started to clean the glass. :rolleyes:

What is the usual process for food? I have an idea of what will be served, and I can do most of it myself, but perhaps other members want to bring something? Does the club provide anything like paper & plastic, or sodas?

I am shooting for a deli platter, fruit platter, Sherman's wicked salsa and SCOOPS, cookies, cake, & chocolate fondue. I'll also provide plenty of ice. Any other suggestions?

Answers:

A few chairs would be nice for those who need them. The rest generally mill around and don't sit anyway. I'm remembering a meeting at the Shark Reef. The chairs weren't really used that much.

Food: Just let me know what you want the club to bring and it will be provided. The club definately will bring sodas and paper plates or whatever you need. Just let me know. :)

Well, we can scare up a few chairs. I do have some, but just not enough for everyone. To be honest, I feel strange asking for the club to supply stuff when I get it all at wholesale, but I know my wife will be ticked off if I pull the whole tab.

Well the other thing is we dont usually have a huge spread at a regular meeting. You don't have to put on a big spread. Keep it simple. :)

Screw you Dang...no way. I would rather poke my eyes out with a Foxface Spine. Take that vote back I tell ya! :lol:

I hope you can make it out for this meeting!

Evite

Is out; let me know if you did not receive. I sent it twice; as there was an error message within evite program...

As always; members only; however you can always join at the meetings.

Please PM your email address so it can be added to evite and you will be sent the details.

Colleen, your message box is full!

I saw the comment on the evite about how far we are, and I fully understand. It is a long way for many people, so I have extended the "visiting hours" to allow for a better time window. We will let this meeting run long and anyone is welcome to come early. There will be a lot to discuss both within the meeting topic and in general about captive reef design. Everyone who visits my system comes away with new ideas on how to manage their aquarium big or small. You do not have to be here for the presentation to come and enjoy the company of fellow aquarium enthusiasts.

If you are coming by Ferry, we are about 20 minutes from the Kingston ferry and 20 - 30 minutes from the Bainbridge Ferry, depending on traffic. There is also a glass tank system for sale in downtown Poulsbo. I think it is 125 - 150g and if they get their act together, I will have flyers at my house.

Tage's system is well worth the visit as well. He has a sweet display tank upstairs and a nice equipment room in the basement. It is very interesting to check out and see how things can be set up mechanically to give a really nice quiet display and still run heavy equipment. He also has an unusual top-off/water change system that although I don't fully comprehend, is working well at automating these tasks in a manner that keeps salinity stable. He is, in some manner, topping off with slightly saline water while removing water and making up for evaporation.

Hope to see you all here!

PSAS Meeting January 19th, 2007

Hi - Tage here.

Jonathan and I discussed the possibility that some of our members might be interested in seeing my reef setup, and I'll be more than happy to show off "my stuff". I live about 5-10 minutes from Jonathan and will be able to take about six people at the time in my car. Depending on interest and timing of the program(s) at Jonathon, I'll plan on making (at least) a couple of trips during the afternoon. My downstairs fish room is quite small, so about six persons at a time is ideal.

The setup is basically a 350-gallon system with a 180-gallon viewing tank upstairs and a 125-gallon refrugium and 60 gallon sump downstairs. The present tanks are about three years old, and - as you will see - I am outgrowing space and in the process of expanding the upstairs with another 120 gallon, all SPS tank.

See you all on the 19th.

Tage

Yeah I talked to Eric and he said he would have his store all stocked up. Both stores are about 10 min. from my house.

Thanks for offering up your houses Jonathan and Tage! I really want to see some of the custom equipment and unique set-ups.

For all the non-kitsap county PSAS members, our two LFS's have never been better. Mario at Ocean Reef Aquatics has his store looking great and has an excellent selection of foods and equipment. Eric at The Shark Reef has a new location and has been getting some amazing fish. I think everyone will be impressed with the prices with either store. I know they will both be stocked up and prepared.

Sounds like great fun. Jonathan, are you sure that you wouldn't like people to bring some of the fish food ingredients? You could tell us which ingredients you need and we could bring those and/or cash towards the ones you already have....more ingredients, more people preparing, you could make it like a participatory cooking class....just a thought. :)

No but thanks for the offer. All the food items are already in-house and I don't want to get involved with herding cats. :D I will take steps to prep things in advance, so the actual food making will be mostly my big mouth. One of the points I am trying to make at this meeting is how PSAS members can prepare healthy, simple, and inexpensive food for their fish, and without adding extra pollution.

I will discuss a basic recipe that can be purchased at any grocery store while doing your own shopping, an advanced recipe using some items available within the aquarium hobby, vitamin augmentation, particle size, and feeding practices.

I do want participants to bring their favorite dry food so that they have them in hand during the discussion. We will do a couple of nutrient tests as part of the presentation, and I will have a station set up so you can test your own food as well.

We have all borne the burden of fouled water, nutrient rich enough to create algal blooms, bacterial blooms, stress for inhabitants, and even disease. There are so many causitive factors from the quality of top-off and water change water, to temperature, filtration, lighting, and feeding. Feeding is a primary area of "self improvement". Anyone, regardless of budget, can refine their feeding practices to lower incoming pollution, save money, and have healthier fish and corals.

Jayson asked a question on the Evite about bringing anything:

Chairs would be a good idea. I dont expect a whole lot of sitting around to be honest and I think people will prefer to stand during the presentation, but it would certainly be nice to have some on-hand.

Stay tuned to this thread as Colleen and I will discuss a variety of meeting issues and we will post if we need anything more.

Thanks for the offer Jayson! :)

Like JEDIMIKE said, both the Kitsap LFS are looking great. If you come by ferry (either Kingston or Bainbridge) you will have to pass right by Mario’s shop, Ocean Reef Aquatics. Mario is also well stocked for the meeting. The shark reef is not far from hwy 3 if you are driving. And you should check out the new shop.

I would like to know if we are going to have a swap as well or if any of you out there has any coral for sale. If you do, please let me know and if you can post some photos.

But as long as you are on the Kitsap side, you should check out the LFS. I think you will be very impressed.:eek2:

Back