Jesse's 40B with 20L sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jesse_emel

It has started. I picked up this 40 Breeder and a 20L at the PetCo at the $1 per gallon sale. I got the stand from another local reefer and gave it a fresh coat of paint.

4943206371_537dcea09f_b.jpg

I quickly ordered a overflow kit from glass-holes.com

4943793254_fd7457686e_b.jpg

Prepared the template per the instruction videos on the site...

4943793940_42ee669230_b.jpg

Just add water and start drilling. Torque super light, speed super high

4943794758_53e5e0cd95_b.jpg

Once the hole it started they say to remove the template..but it makes it hard to keep the blade wet. Next time i'll keep it on.

4943795452_2116d826bf_b.jpg

Hole finished, just a minor chip on the back side. Next time more speed and water and should be cleaner.

4943796236_8949c3a797_b.jpg

Waiting for the drill to charge and will cut the 2 holes for the inlets. I'm attempting to make this super clean. Updates coming soon....

Last edited:
Battery all charged up..... preparing to do more drilling.... Choose my inlet locations.

4943353831_ace7d5cd5e_b.jpg

Time to drill inlet hole #2

4943940024_787b24b558_b.jpg

Results.... all 3 holes drilled in less than 30 minutes

4943352929_d4ac00c584_b.jpg

Nope i was all over the 40 breeders. I was pretty focused. I happened to step in the morning the sale started. Sorry you'll have to call or visit the one in Hayden and see. But i think the sale only applies to certain tanks they carry. i can never find the 30L.

Last edited:
Yeah, I may go with a 55gallon for the sump anyways. I was just looking for info in case the one here didn't have what I wanted. I am waiting to see my skimmer before i may a decision. I want to be able to remove the skimmer if need be without breaking anything is the grand plan.

What are you planning on keeping in this tank?

lol, well I didn't know if you had a certain type of corals or anything you were doing with the tank. So I guess you are doing a little of whatever sounds good at the time.

lol, well I didn't know if you had a certain type of corals or anything you were doing with the tank. So I guess you are doing a little of whatever sounds good at the time.

I'm a zoo fan but i want to start getting more into some sps and other things that's why I'm starting tank #2. So we'll see what time and money allows for.

Good to see it getting up so quickly! Cant wait to see it up and running! Hopefully without all the problems I encountered! :) If you need any help just let me know!

Good to see it getting up so quickly! Cant wait to see it up and running! Hopefully without all the problems I encountered! :) If you need any help just let me know!

Thanks for the offer, so far so good I'm trying to be patient and think things through. I even think next i will paint the back of the tank black to hide the overflow and drill the sump for the in and out plumbing. all bulkheads and keep as much stuff outside the tanks as possible. trying to use the rule of KISS=Keep It Simple Stupid!

I'm working a deal for a T5 fixture

TEK LIGHT T-5, 36" Light
Fixture 6 x 39W lamps

4944299928_9fe6a81d7a_m.jpg

but it's not secured yet so I'm still working on it.

wow this started out fun, gonna have to watch this one. after seeing rainydave's 40B he set up, Im thinking about one someday.

wow this started out fun, gonna have to watch this one. after seeing rainydave's 40B he set up, Im thinking about one someday.

Thanks and welcome aboard.... I'll be setting it up pretty fast I hope cause i have a vacation coming up and want it to cycle while i'm away.

good job Jesse, nice and clean, I like it :)

Well i made it through day 1 of glass drilling with no mistakes (knocking on wood) tonight I'll be painting the back of the tank black and will try to better job of updating a build thread. I learn a little something with each build. I'm sure this will be no different.

Back