Jesse's 40B with 20L sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looking good so far. Got to love the glass holes kit. Making drilling "pretty" easy (though still nerve racking).

Tagging along for the build.

Looking good so far. Got to love the glass holes kit. Making drilling "pretty" easy (though still nerve racking).

Tagging along for the build.

Your so correct. I had a beer before to calm my nerves. The glass cutting bits I received from Glass-holes.com show no signs of wear and if anyone in the Spokane area ever needs a hole cute you know who to contact. I got 5 sizes of bits just incase anyone else needs them some day. I always see people asking if anyone knows how to cut glass.

Your so correct. I had a beer before to calm my nerves. The glass cutting bits I received from Glass-holes.com show no signs of wear and if anyone in the Spokane area ever needs a hole cute you know who to contact. I got 5 sizes of bits just incase anyone else needs them some day. I always see people asking if anyone knows how to cut glass.

I have a 48" 100 gallon AGA that I plan on starting a build soon. Don't know the first thing about drilling and plumbing, so I might need some help. I have a 20 long to use for a sump, but still need skimmer, pumps, and the works.
(and need to get rid of my big cichlids before I can even start anything!)

well keep me posted and we'll hook you up. maybe trade some drilling services of either beer or a frag. haha. I used the bits a few times now and they show no signs of wear. Should be good for a few more holes.

WOW, I was at petco just today, and had to discipline myself to NOT walk out with a 40B and 20l LOL 60 BUCKS cant beat that.
I so want to do one of these builds :)

WOW, I was at petco just today, and had to discipline myself to NOT walk out with a 40B and 20l LOL 60 BUCKS cant beat that.
I so want to do one of these builds :)

I noticed your big tank purchase thread. I'll keep my eyes on that one too. I suppose that would be a much larger undertaking than a little 60 gallon system. And will be taking a majority of your time. Tonight is paint work only. Has anyone used that spray paint that is supposed to stick to plastic?

Krylon Fusion for Plastic

I was gonna pain all my pipes black after i get it plumbed. Is this stuff reef safe? I think i remember reading some people paint parts that go inside their tank with this stuff with no problems. For me it will just be the outside piping. I should have no pipes inside the tanks with this project.

Nice build i've been setting up kind of the same set up as u only mine I only have the sump and stand half way built so far

What are you going to use for a return pump? i was thinking a dart but im having second thoughts as that would probably be over kill.

What are you going to use for a return pump? i was thinking a dart but im having second thoughts as that would probably be over kill.

I'm running a Mag 7. I wanted to make sure I didn't overpower the overflow. Don't want a flood!

Umm a Reeflo Dart is rated at 3035 gph at 4' of head. IMHO that is way overkill. Last I heard it is recommended to have your flow through the sump between 3-5 times your water volume. At most I would think you would run about 300 gph for a system this size. Just my .02 but I think a Dart would make hurricane type flow.

I'm running a Mag 7. I wanted to make sure I didn't overpower the overflow. Don't want a flood!

A Mag 3 or 5 would probably be plenty. Sorry, that's another .02. Now I'm up to .04, might as well round it up to a nickel :).

Well I did some research and At 4' of head a Mag 18 does 1150 gph. I had a mag 12 but it's getting re-possessed. The Overflow is rated at 750 gph. Since I'm splitting the return right after the pump into 2 runs up to the tank i figure the extra fittings and bends should run me about 900-1000 gph. I also plan on having a 3/4" valve at the pump to further adjust the flow. I'll do a wet test in the garage before I unleash the beast. I don't want a sand storm but i like to try to get a little better flow than some of my other tanks. And don't worry I'll report on the pump flow in the tank this weekend I hope.

so i guess you guys are suggesting a mag 9.5 or something like that i have a oceanrunner 3500. that i could use for a return pump. and the travle for the water will be about 4'

Dang Jesse, why dont you just get a maxi jet 1200 and call it good?! :)

Well trying to be a little cost sensitive. I already had this pump. it will easily do what i want it to and more. better that than having a pump that barely does the job. Besides Kevin mentioned the mag 18 and mag 12 are the exact same except the impeller size. So if i wanna down size all i have to do is get the smaller impeller.

got the back painted....

4947105680_34e3bfe5d6_b.jpg

Good thinkin! I didnt know if you were going to buy a new one or what. Guess I should have read the whole thread! The back looks good! Glad to see you're painting it black on a white door! ;) jk

Back