Jesse's 40B with 20L sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The white door is destroyed on the other side. It's heading to the dump anyway. But thanks smart ass LoL. Got the tape off now it's sitting and drying in a heated garage for the night. Rest little 40B rest for now.... BACK IN BLACK!! (ac/dc)

4947130870_b27becc6fa_b.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! Get that thing cycling already! Hurry hurry hurry! jk....We all know where hurrying gets us.... Dang salt buckets..... seriously though...hurry up! ;)

Very cool. Tagging along. Just picked up a 40b myself for the next build after the 65 I'm working on now.

FYI, from what I've found is that if you follow up the painting on the back of the tank with a product called Plastidip and spray that on, it will actually help seal the paint from any chance of getting scratched or chipped.

Do this on 4 tanks now and every one is bulletproof.

Very cool. Tagging along. Just picked up a 40b myself for the next build after the 65 I'm working on now.

FYI, from what I've found is that if you follow up the painting on the back of the tank with a product called Plastidip and spray that on, it will actually help seal the paint from any chance of getting scratched or chipped.

Do this on 4 tanks now and every one is bulletproof.

Oh sure now you tell me. I painted my Oceanic Illuminate tank and it still looks great about 6 months later. I don't ever really touch the back of the tank so it has not been a problem so far.

The 20L sump is started....

4950568080_13776b07a3_b.jpg

4950567236_afef8ca809_b.jpg

Made some more progress on the 20L sump installed 1 piece of glass for the clean area that will contain the protein skimmer and you can see the 3/4 " bulkhead. The pump will sit outside the sump for the return. I got this bubble trap from brandyrb's husband when i picked up the tank and stand. I chopped it in 1/2 and it is connected to the drain line via a 1-1/2" bulkhead. You can see i was a little aggressive with the hole drilling as i modified it to work in a much smaller sump and glued a plastic patch back in the inside. It will be interesting to see if this works when i do the wet test. I can always take it out if it fails and just install 1 more piece of glass for the return area. the fuge will also be in with the blue box all the way up to the glass.

4950595070_95686a13e1_b.jpg

4950003423_a9ccc7f732_b.jpg

4950596520_06d782ebb2_b.jpg

There is an area where the water enters the box and it only has a hole in the bottom which lets water into the 2nd 2 compartments. thus the bubbles will rise while the water goes under up and out.

A picture of the inside. Keep in mind i have not tested this system yet. But if if doesn't work it's easily removable.

4952781028_ce2447728a_b.jpg

4952189441_c5b914fda2_b.jpg

4952190021_4405bfb5b5_b.jpg

Guess i grabbed the green Krylon Fusion paint instead of black. Man I'm color bling it looked black to me. HeHe

Time to take the sump upstairs and start plumbing....

Lookin good man! No cracked glass or anything yet! You're already ahead of where I was in this process! :)

Lookin good man! No cracked glass or anything yet! You're already ahead of where I was in this process! :)

Are you FING kidding me? I guess the hole for the overflow was a little to close to the edge. At 6:45 pm I cracked the sump! I looked at your post NTSWIFT and it said 6:40 pm. I Just got home from Homedepot and PetCo for a new sump and notice you JYNX'ed me. Thanks a lot! HaHa

Well after the 1st sump broke I started over...re drilled and got as far as the overflow plumbing done. Doing away with the bubble trap it was set to close to the edge of the glass. which is where it broke. picture update.

4953424282_24e33e7c58_b.jpg

lol...I think I need to keep my mouth shut so no one else gets jinxed! Sorry Jesse! :)

No worries i wasn't blaming you i just thought the closeness to the time was amazing. It was my own stupidity that caused the crack. Hopefully doing the rest of the plumbing tonight and water test too. Thanks everyone for following along so far.

Yeah and for some reason I was thinking in my head "watch something is going to happen for saying this"....Anyway, how did the rest of the build go?

Yeah progress is a little slow. I can only work on this project on nights after work and weekends. I have about 1/2 my 3/4" return plumbing finished, but I'm talking to my wife in the Philippines who is there visiting her family. Then back to work! By the way if anyone is interested or knows anyone who wants to get into the hobby i have my old 29 gallon Bio Cube for sale here... please help me find a buyer if you can

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56518

Back