Jesse's tank build!(omg pls help =P)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

elos/tunze system is the way to go man, you'll be enjoying that system 10 years from now...
it just hurts more to start up, but the savings will pay for itself down the road.
that bm150 will be great for an elos 120xl:)

if u can resist the temptaion then u have more patience than i do and i hope it goes good for u.

I ordered the tank and stand today. Ended up going with a 34 inch height after doing some "practice reaching" on BR's frag tank(it stands 55 inches tall). I still may need a spotter for the stuff all the way in the back, but I should have no problem reaching most areas.

Mark-
Yah the BM150 will be rocking, the HH not so much lol. No biggie though.

Apparantly the stand is whats going to take the longest, so thats why I had to order it now. I should be putting water in it on Aug 31st. Now Im going to spend the next month thinking about aquascaping. So many options for a huge rectangle.

Time to go daydream about the new setup =)

Peace

Mark-

Im planning on running 2 x Black vented lumenarcs W/250 w pfo HQI ballast, and reeflux 10k's suspended from the ceiling. Id like to fit some T5's in there too add some blue, but anyway I can think of adding them would detract from an overall clean look to the whole setup. If the infiniti's were about 500 dollars cheaper, that might be a decent option, but I still wouldnt have the light spread that the lumenarcs would give.

Mark-

Im planning on running 2 x Black vented lumenarcs W/250 w pfo HQI ballast, and reeflux 10k's suspended from the ceiling. Id like to fit some T5's in there too add some blue, but anyway I can think of adding them would detract from an overall clean look to the whole setup. If the infiniti's were about 500 dollars cheaper, that might be a decent option, but I still wouldnt have the light spread that the lumenarcs would give.

Jesse,

Our buddy Bricky here on the board is currently designing the lighting for his Elos 400g custom. I was at his place last night and it looks sweet. He's welded a frame together that he will skin later and it holds 3-lumen arc 3 mini reflectors, 2- de sunlight supply/pfo type reflectors, and 8-54w T-5 retros. Its got all kinds of other tricks as well. This hood will be hung over his tank. You might PM him and see if he could post some pics. I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to help you fabricate one if you like the idea.

Cy-

That sounds pretty slick! Ill drop him a line for sure. Well see how willing he is to help someone with no "metal" experience =P

Peace

So heres my current shopping list. Let me know if theres anything you think I should change. I want to order things soon so I don't get stuck with something being out of stock, or me not being able to return something for a replacement in time.

Flow:2 x Tunze 6101's with a 7095 multi controller W/Magnet holders
Lighting:2 x Black lumenarc W/Glass shield, hanging kits, 10k reeflux
Chiller:pacific Coast CL-600
Return/chiller pump:Ehiem 1262

Everyone seems to agree on lumenarcs, tunze, and ehiem being quality, but the Pacifict Coast chiller seems to have mixed reviews. Most of the complaints seem to be about past models however. They seem to have a great price point. Since its Seattle I doubt it will have to run all that often, but I want in just incase. I want this tank to be as set-it-and-forget-it as possible.

Any suggestions before I empty out the rest of my bank account? =P

Peace

So heres my current shopping list. Let me know if theres anything you think I should change. I want to order things soon so I don't get stuck with something being out of stock, or me not being able to return something for a replacement in time.

Flow:2 x Tunze 6101's with a 7095 multi controller W/Magnet holders
Lighting:2 x Black lumenarc W/Glass shield, hanging kits, 10k reeflux
Chiller:pacific Coast CL-600
Return/chiller pump:Ehiem 1262

Everyone seems to agree on lumenarcs, tunze, and ehiem being quality, but the Pacifict Coast chiller seems to have mixed reviews. Most of the complaints seem to be about past models however. They seem to have a great price point. Since its Seattle I doubt it will have to run all that often, but I want in just incase. I want this tank to be as set-it-and-forget-it as possible.

Any suggestions before I empty out the rest of my bank account? =P

Peace

What are you concidering for ca and alk additions?

Don

I have a CA reactor that I got from Jesshimom & Szidls when they took down their tanks. They gave me some schuran media with it. I have not set it up yet though so I have no experience using one. I just need to pick up a small feed pump for it.

I will use my ACjr from my current tank for the controller. Ill have to pick up a dc4hd to accomidate the chiller and one of the lights. Ill also pick up a ranco to control the tank temp, and let the AC jr act as a secondary check. Although I won't have the redundancy of a PLC, I can alteast have the AC jr sound an alarm if things get out of range, so I can know immediatley(as long as me or my roomies are home).

Hi Jesse,

Couple suggestions. The CL-600 is an older version of a 1/4hp model. It doesn't incorporate a replaceable fuse and is a preety ugly creme/white color. The newer 1/4HP CL-650 is a better quality unit, with the fuse, and is a slick black that will match your setup. (If these are being relocated style obviously becomes less important.) Pac Coast also has a new SL or SeaLine line of chillers that are even more affordable and seem to perform well. We have a few out there in operation and are happy. You might do a little further research on them as an option.

2. Bulb selection. If you can't supplement w/ t-5's you may end up changing to reeflux 12k or pheonix 14k as the DE reeflux 10's are usually not so attractive by themselves. (Hope I am remembering correctly about you using DE)

Cy-
For the time being, the chiller will be visible. Eventually Ill order a stand to conceal that, my ballasts, and other misc junk, but for now they will have to sit on the side. Have you heard anything about the noise on the sealine chillers? They sure are cheap.
For bulbs, I am using SE, but overdriving with a hqi ballast. Originally I was going to RL 12k's but after seeing the colors on your display and frag tank I changed my mind. I also heard numerous reports of less then stellar growth with rl 12ks, but I must admit that I will miss the blue tinge.

Peace

A little over 3 weeks till I can start setting this bad boy up:D:D!!
I have a few more things to decide on, mostly related to aquascaping, but here is the other issue that I have no clue about really:

CA Reactor:

I have never run one of these before, and only vaguely have a clue as to how to use it. Right now I have a regulator, a reactor, some schuran media, and a co2 tank.
My current understanding of how they work, is that you dial in the ph in the reactor so that your effluent reaches a certain ph(not sure waht it is), then run the reactor for as long as needed on a timer to match your daily consumption? Am I close? Do I need a PH controller as well? I have my ACjr that monitors PH, but if you think I should have a secondary controller for safety reasons let me know.

Peace

Jesse,

I'm wondering if you received the pictures of my canopy that I've built? All I have left to do is powder coat it, skin it, and then fill it with lights.

Matt

Matt-

That is a really slick canopy that youve built, thanks for taking some pics for me. I definitley want to see the completed rack. How much does it weigh? Are those pfo pendants you have there between the lumenarcs? I had been thinking about hanging one of those pendants and running a 14k or 20k bulb for extended viewing after the main lights go out(or maybe full time if I really liked the blended look). What bulb combo did you plan on using?

Peace

Back