JIve's Custom 75g Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well its been a long time since my last update. Really nothing has changed. I'll be doing a major clean tomorrow taking everything out, cleaning it and making it all look good.

The reason, well I'm going to prepare everything for sale. Yep, I'm selling it all. I'll probably part it all out since no one really purchased complete systems. But if there is anyone that is in the market for a complete setup, please let them know mine will be going up soon (within the next week, maybe this weekend). Major deal if if can off it that way.

More to come...

Very nice setup! :D How do you like the overall look of the painted backround?? Always wondered how it looked in person as I never had the guts to try it myself. What I usually do is just buy acrylic and cut it to size then just silicone it on the inside of the tank. Very nice look, but still wanted your opinion on the paint. :)

Very nice setup! :D How do you like the overall look of the painted backround?? Always wondered how it looked in person as I never had the guts to try it myself. What I usually do is just buy acrylic and cut it to size then just silicone it on the inside of the tank. Very nice look, but still wanted your opinion on the paint. :)

Its the best and only way to go in my opinion, plus its cheap. I used a $1.99 can of black spray paint and it looks fine. Just incase I didn't mention this, I painted the outside of the tank. You'll have to do a few coats though because you need to get layer down then let it dry a bit then do another one. If you do too much at once you get globby runs. Use a flashlight from the inside out to make sure you didn't miss any spots. Worst case if you don't like it, the paint comes off very easily with a little bit of paint thinner or acetone, another bonus of being cheap spray paint, but it works and looks great.

If you did acrylic, it would be spendy compared to the spray paint. If anything, I'd put it on the outside of the tank to maximize space inside but most of all if you have it inside you may get a fine layer of water between the acrylic and the glass. If I were you and were on the fence as to what way you want to go, just go to a hardware store, get a scrap of glass, paint one side black just to see what it looks like. If you don't like it then you're only out the cost of a can of spray paint.

Sad to hear your selling it all...:( I still never got a chance to see it lol. I'm hoping to get back in the hobby soon but probably not for a few months. I'll look for the thread when you decide to part out. It sure turned out nice! Hopefully in the future you will start another system!

Sad to hear your selling it all...:( I still never got a chance to see it lol. I'm hoping to get back in the hobby soon but probably not for a few months. I'll look for the thread when you decide to part out. It sure turned out nice! Hopefully in the future you will start another system!

Yeah, we'll see. I just only have time to focus on one hobby which is photography so the reef must go.

Back