JIve's Custom 75g Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

whatd ya get?

I got some Japanese deepwater zoas! Purple ones with a greenish rim and some orange/green/blue rainbow ones. Here are the pics from what I bought them. So far they look just like this but are still mad from traveling. I'll post pics of them in my tank when they're fully open.

180.jpg

181.jpg

I was staring at my rics that I have and I noticed that a lot of their balls looked to be morphing together. Well the morph moved. It was then that I noticed there were a couple flatworms on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I immediately siphoned out what I could, about 20 of them, and then I removed my rics to a tupperware bowl. I added a bunch of Melafix, prob more than I should have, and got a few more sucks to fly off. I then took a turkey baster and blasted the rock for about 5 minutes. I then removed and put into another bowl and repeated.

Well they slimed up pretty good but no more flatworm. Rics are back in the tank and looking ok considering the amount of Melafix they just had. I've never noticed any other flatworms anywhere else ever in my tank. I'm hoping that there aren't any more but from reading other posts that probably unlikely. If I see more I'll probably have to take whatever they're on out and dose separately. I'm really scared to treat my whole system especially if they're not everywhere.

If I have to dose my system, I'll prob use Flatworm Control, not Flatworm Exit. In the mean time I need to find like a six line wrasse and/or a spotted goby since they eat the flatworms.

Myteemouse has told me that he treated the whole tank at double the dose with no ill effects. But there are others who have said different. Good luck though. They can be a pain. Just ugly looking lol

Myteemouse has told me that he treated the whole tank at double the dose with no ill effects. But there are others who have said different. Good luck though. They can be a pain. Just ugly looking lol

Yeah I'll wait and if I see anymore I might go that route. If I do I'll be asking for advise from those who have gone through it.

I had them and just dropped a k3 for extra flow in there and they disappeared. There are also a lot of know predators for them. Such as certain wrasses, and scooter blennies. Might be easier and safer to try a more natural way of getting rid of them.

I'm not sure that a scooter blenny would be enough. I've never had flatworms so I'm not an expert on them. I think that a wrasse from the halichoeres family would work better and not be aggressive. Something like a melenarus wrasse. I know Barrier Reef gets them in pretty often. ARSA can get you one too and they are closer to you.

My sixline wasn't as bad as others i have heard of. My old scooter blenny picked at everything though. Might just need to fine one that likes to scavenge.

Hey Jarod, +1 on Sixline a great little colorful fish and I've never had any real aggression issues with several in my tanks over the years. One wrasse per tank with peaceful tankmates and NO DOTTYBACKS = no problem

Todd

Back