Joe's Wet Dream, A 550 Gallon Work In Progress

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

D-Day approaches.....

Hoping to hear about the completion of the stainless stand skin today, Jason will then be able to procede with the installation shortly thereafter, the hood will be fabricated after the stand is done, it will be installed later. Tracking indicates that the chiller will arrive in Kent tonight, should be delivered to my home on We or Th. Here's a photo of the gaping hole we now have to enable Jason and the gang to move the stand in, had to break out the long underwear, where's an Indian summer when you really need it?

DSC_0003-2.jpg

LOL. Joe the story followed by the pic of the "new door" is a total riot! Thanks for the great laugh. I can now also see why it is worth living on the island.

where's that picture taken from on Whidbey, Sort of looks like the Double Bluff area.. I used to live up there in the McMaster Farm house up off of Lancaster.

Island living...

Once I have my tank going I won't have to look at that pathetic view, at least the clouds this day blocked those hideous Cascade Mts. .... I know the place James, Awesome, did you know the Clydes as in Clyde Theater, that is my family...We live on the east side near Langley, no shipping/Olympic views, but we don't get the brutal storms coming down the Straits, one of them trade offs....The picture is towards Tulalip, a little to the left and you would see Camano Head, my fav part of the view... Tank wise I had the dedicated 220v, 240v, or whatever you call it put in today for the chiller, I've been mixing salt all day in my stocked up RO, I've got 550 gals so far, should be able to scrounge up another 70 gallons or so....

Joe,

I got to get down there to see ya. My in-laws live in Oak Harbor. The next time we take our kids to visit them, I can see if the wife will give an OK to stop by and see your setup. (if you don't mind) :)

How long does it take to get to Langley from Oak Harbor??

Kirk

Hey Kirk, I take it you must go around via the Burlington/Mt Vernon rt to get to Oak Harbor, we are 35 miles south of OH, about 50 minutes with the old farts on the road where there is no where to pass factor. If you took the Mukilteo ferry we are 5 miles from there, Probably about 15 driving miles from your place. you are around mill creek right, or am I thinking or someone else??? I hope the tank will be delivered soon, but it is in limbo right now, could be this Friday, coule be the next friday, or who knows, I need some kind of serious anti depressant.....

Did you know the Clydes as in Clyde Theater, that is my family...We live on the east side near Langley

Not sure unless this is the same Clyde that owned the corner service station in downtown Langley. But I do know the theater though, what else was a young island kid going to do a Friday night but go see a movie at the theater.
I thin pretty much know exactly where you are out I also lived out there in the Beachwood area for a while. I lived there from about 83' to 91' and was back again in 92 for about a year.

hey joe. i got your phone call. sorry i missed it. i was salmon fishing all day. give me a call when you need help and i will be there. i have all next week off. talk to ya soon. chad

That was my dad that owned the garage, Clyde Motors, we were next door neighbors when you lived in Beachwood, we live on Clyde Road

Cool. My dad had his cars worked on there.. Kind of funny I helped remodel that in to the Bakery turned Mikes Place after the building was sold.. Small world.

Sorry not trying to Hi-jack this thread.

I always thought it was weird Joe Clyde lived on Clyde Road. I'm glad to have one of my great mysteries of life figured out.:lol:;):lol:;)

LOL no worries about hijacking, we gotta talk about something while I am waiting an eternity to get my stainless fabricated..Where do I get these crazy ideas???....Hopefully I will have some relevant and interesting stuff to post soon...Hope to see you at the meeting Colleen, I'll be there, got to get my clam book autographed....

The Gear Is Arriving....

Jason and Eric stopped by today and delivered a few items, they are positioned to go to town on the installation as soon as the stand fabrication is completed, I did talk to the stainless fabricator and they are starting the project now, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that we will be moving forward within a week....

I did manage to snap a few photos today, as you will see there is only one thing cuter than a Hammerhead with an OM4, and that would be three of them....

Hammerhead.jpg

TripleHammerheads.jpg

Who cares, they're in my crawl space :D Actually, in all honesty I have no idea, since they are remoted I never even considered noise factors, all I looked at was performance and reliability. I will let you know once they are up and running, here's some of the manufacturers dope... ReeFlo<SUP>TM </SUP>was started in 2004 by Sequence Pumps to bring the benefits of commercial duty pumps to the aquarium consumer. Commercial duty means energy efficiency, quiet operation and maximum durability. Quiet
Sequence pumps installed near areas of relaxation and entertainment generate minimal noise levels For example, the 1/4 H.P. unit has 52 dB noise level at 10`. A normal conversation is 60 dB for reference. (the hammerhead is 1/3 HP.

How (quiet or loud) are these Hammerheads??

I think it depends on where they are placed. I have two sequence baracudas, one for sump return and one for closed loop. The sump return is fairly quiet and placed on the bottom of the wood stand underneath the tank. The closed loop pump however, is bolted to the back of the stand (center bracing) and it is loud enough that I can hear it through the drywall in the next room. It's not loud enough to drive my crazy though.

I have an Iwaki RLT 70 for my main return pump in my garage and I can hear a "hmmm" sound on the second floor. The sound is something that can be tuned out and thankfully my wife has not said **anything** to me. (yet). I don't even think she notices it. :D

Here's a photo of the electrical control panel designed and built by Jason. The module on the top is the Reefkeeper 2 controller. 6 American DJ PC100A power supply distribution centers are used to allocate the electrical load of the system. 48 switches seem a bit much, but using 6 power centers allows isolation of system components allotted to the five dedicated circuits to facilitate maintainance, and system operation under generator backup power will be enhanced. Each power supplier can handle 15 amps, with 6 available I won't have to worry about overloading any of them. Most importantly, I will have 48 purty 'lil red lights to look at...

ElectricalPanel.jpg

Last edited:
Pump Noise Issue...

Hey Kirk, I will also be using an Iwaki 70 for my return pump, along with an Iwaki 55 for my chiller and the three Hammerheads, all will be remoted in the same area, I'm trying to think of the best material to use under them to decrease vibration, seems like neoprene might be the best option, probably better than cutting up an inner tube, have you tried anything like that under your 70, or is it directly in contact with a hard surface? Have any of you folks found a better material to dampen vibration?

Back