Joe's Wet Dream, A 550 Gallon Work In Progress

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nothing to be ashamed of, my first tank was a 40, it didn't look nearly as nice as yours, and yours is in it's infancy, it will mature into a beautiful setup...

Thanks folks, I've never attampted anything even close to this scale, I really appreciate the fact that so many experienced reefers are following my thread, I know with your help and advice my chances for success at maintaining a captive reef are greatly enhanced, best regards, Joe

Just a few more odds and ends, the first photo is of the two drilled rock rack platforms which will use acrylic rods to suspend the live rock a few inches off the bottom of the tank, each platform measures 20 inches by 41 inches, which by strange coincidence is also the dimension of the two access portholes on the top of the tank. The next photo is of the four IceCap electronic ballasts for the MH's, and the last one is of my Precision Marine 622 calcium reactor.
RockRack.jpg

Icecaps400MH.jpg

PMCalcReactor.jpg

1 HP Tradewind Chiller

Motor Freight just dropped off my chiller today, I don't believe anyone is carrying these in the Pacific Northwest, thought I'd post a few pictures of it. This is a 1 HP unit rated up to 1000 gallons, 7.9 Amps, 220v, 5 year warranty, made in the USA, no eight year old children involved in it's construction. It's footprint is 2 feet wide by 2 feet long. More info at www.tradewindchillers.com if you are interested.
DSC_0001-5.jpg

DSC_0002-5.jpg
DSC_0003-3.jpg
DSC_0004-4.jpg

WHOA !!!

Now come the big toys !!!!

Joe, you are spending some serious mulah for this project. But in the end, well worth every penny. :D

Kirk

Joe,

Could you take a picture of the only side you didn't share with us? I'd like to see what I think is your dual stage controller (thermostat).

I too am looking into this very chiller so, your thoughts once it's up and running would be appreciated.

matt

Hey guys, it is great to see things starting to coalesce after 9 months of planning. Nice to hear from you Matt, if you are interested in this chiller give Hal at Tradewind a call, he is the owner and has 20+ years of experience, he has been great about answering all my questions, phone # 760-233-8888. I'll certainly be glad to share my impressions about this chiller with you, you will get more informed info from Jason though, chillers are a whole new concept to me. Here are a couple of photos, I think this is a single stage controller, which to me means it just determines when to turn the chiller on or off, a double also controls a heater, right? I probably won't even have a heater on my system, with all the pumps etc I don't think it will ever need to have a separate heater, but we shall see...BTW, normally the Tradewind products have a 2 year warranty with an extended 5 year available at a nominal fee, for mine the extended 5 year warranty would have cost $135.00, but this is included in the purchase price if you buy it from Custom Aquatics, so the price from CA includes a 5 year guarantee, something to consider..,.
DSC_0002-6.jpg

DSC_0001-6.jpg

Last edited:
Joe,

Please tell me you have the entire system connected to an Automatic Standby Generator??

:D

Kirk

Fraid so, there's a photo of the transfer panel etc buried somewhere back in June.....7kW peak 12kW Honda gen, if they behave my fridge and TV might get a little juice also...

Last edited:
Thanks for the picture. Now I know for sure that I'm going for the Tradewind. Looks like quality and I like the Ranco controller idea. That way I can use my Aqua Controller and the Ranco. It's just nice to have back up (controller wise) for your chiller.

Ranco & AquaLogic must have some sort of agreement because Aqualogic uses that controller with AquaLogic on the cover, makes you go Hummm:?::?::?::?:

It's coming!!!

Good news at last, the CAD/CAM guy at the stainless fabricators called on Friday to finalize the skin design for the stand, he was going to do the design this weekend, the end is near, probably have it within two weeks, hopefully sooner.... Probably take a few eons for the hood, but I've got a Gieseman 3 x 250w I can hang over it so I can look at my rocks at least, oh boy!!!

Back