Joe's Wet Dream, A 550 Gallon Work In Progress

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Joe you seriously need a label maker.:D .......How is your stainless coming along? Glad to see the system taking shape.
Scott

Hello Scott, you are right there, it's not just the electrical, I need to have all the plumbing labeled at both ends and mapped out also so I can deal with anything topside or below. The stainless skin for the stand should be ready next week with any luck, the hood hopefully some time while I'm still alive....

Joe,

I have a thin piece of foam between the wood and the pump. It does help soften the noise quite a bit. First time I've used Iwaki pumps. I was just to NO noise with my Dolphin pumps.

While you are waiting for the stainless, you might wanna create your labels. I know the waiting is killing you; it did me when I was waiting for Jason to deliver my tank. But I tried and get all the little errands and tasks completed before the tank came, cuz once it is delivered you want have enough time in the day to devote to it. :D

Here we have a pic of the Love of My LIfe.... (and that's my wife next to it)

BCBubbles.jpg

Your wife must love you alot to pose next to a skimmer. My wife would think I was crazy if I ask her to do that. And she is prolly right. :rolleyes:

The Ultimate Pre Filter

I won't miss the multiple power strips tacked up under me tank, that's for sure...

Next for your viewing enjoyment is a prefilter system designed and built by Jason, this is a Clear Fabrications signature product, it features simplicity and flexibility, and the quality of construction is second to none. In basic operation it reminds me of the wet dry filters of yore, all of the water flow from the tank overflow system is directed through the prefilter and is diffused to pass evenly throughout the chosen media, direct flow has been proven to be much more effective and efficient than the passive diffusion commonly employed by throwing a bag of whatever in your sump. Media choices for the three compartments could include prefilter pads(coralife has them in 50 or 100 microns), carbon, phophate and silicate absorbents, resins, etc. Here is a photo of the unit, followed by a couple of views of a some of the features. It measures 18" high (not including the valves) and 14" square (w & l).
FilterBox1.jpg

This next photo shows the two valves that can be used to adjust flow if desired, note that they are gate valves, the cheaper ball valves commonly seen are fine for "on/off" use, gate valves allow a fine control if minute adjustments are needed.

FilterBox2.jpg

This photo gives a better view of the removable drawers with their black plex handles. Every edge on the drawers and the rest of the unit has a fine bevel, Jason has some crazed idea that people don't like cutting themselves on sharp plexiglass...

FilterBox3.jpg

Last edited:
Joe I hope that you're keeping the back room Tarp closed up tight...It's getting a little chillie out side.... :) Hopefully Ken will get things going and we'll be able to get the tank rockin soon...
Talk to you later
Eric

Joe/Scooty,

You think that is alot of pipe, wait until Jason pulls out all of the bulkheads and accessories to plumb this sucker. :):):)

Kirk

This is definitely one for the pros, I couldn't imagine trying to DIY something on this scale with my limited ability. Just to give you an idea of the scope of the plumbing involved here is a photo of Eric carrying the plywood base that sets on top of the stand, each hole represents a bulkhead for various returns, drains, closed loops, etc, I think the big oval is for the CL returns.
TankBottomTemplate.jpg

Sometimes I try to justify the money & things we do just for our pleasure, I can't imagine why would anyone want so many holes in a tank but then I just drink a few cold ones & forget that was ever a thought!:lol:
Maybe one day I'll understand WHY but for now all I can say is Kool!:eek:

I'm not really doing any work, I'm just taking the credit. My thanks to Ladonna, Eric, and Jason. Here's some photo's of the guys doing all the work and their delivery vehicles...
DeliveryVehicles.jpg

The next Photos are of the tank unloading process.
UnloadingTank1.jpg
TankUnloading2.jpg
TankUnloading3.jpg
These shots are of my mini sump/refugium.
SumpUnloading1.jpg
SumpUnloading2.jpg
And here we have the tank and sump perched on my front porch, taunting me, no make that torturing me. I'll talk to the stainless fabricator tomorrow, hopefully the stand will be completed in the near future so Jason and Eric and the Corn Fed Boys can move the tank and stand in and assemble this setup...
TankSump.jpg

Back