Joe's Wet Dream, A 550 Gallon Work In Progress

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Kirk, my wife loves my equipment, she says the more the better.

Hey Matt, I've gotta give Jason credit for the light combo, although I really would have liked to stick with my 10k's, I think they are at least partially responsible for my enviable ability to turn my hideous blue Oregon Torts into a lovely brown, I don't mean to brag, but I bet there is no one in this region who is better at breeding brown corals...

Got my ducting in place, never worked with that aluminum drier stuff, it's really cool. Now the $64 question is how long will it hold up in our pseudo marine environment, one would think that a bit of salt plus high temps would equal rapid oxidative processes, we shall see... Here's a few photos of my old world craftmanship....
DSC_0002-15.jpg

DSC_0003-12.jpg

DSC_0004-12.jpg

Wow I just read this whole thread and am completely amazed at all of the complexities of your system. It is so wonderful you have me dreaming of having something simular one day. Absolutely amazing and I am sure it will turn into a completely stunning system given time.

Wishing you all the Best.
Mark

Thanks Mark, I appreciate that, you are too kind, it's really not complicated, I just followed a few basic principles to ensure success that I have learned from others, good circulation, good lighting, good skimming, and a biga*ss fuge, these are things that can be applied to any size system, best regards, Joe

Joe. Looks good. It also looks like your canopy et.al could launch off to the Intl Space Station. (and I bet you would have better luck getting there than Space Shuttle).
:D

Thanks Mark, I appreciate that, you are too kind, it's really not complicated, I just followed a few basic principles to ensure success that I have learned from others, good circulation, good lighting, good skimming, and a biga*ss fuge, these are things that can be applied to any size system, best regards, Joe

Your welcome.. Say I was thinking last night about your light venting.. Couldn't you use something like a clear Krylon spray paint to protect against any salt damage to the alluminum ducting? I don't know if it would work it could be worth a shot or at least a beta test with another piece somewhere.

I mean Krylon makes spray paint that works on the old radiator heaters so something along those lines should stand up to any heat stress and moisture. You'd just have to make sure to get everything else taped off real well so it wasn't covering something you didn't want painted.

Great idea Mark, I know they make a line of high heat paint that people can use on automobile engines, I bet that would hold up temp wise. I'll test some on an extra piece of ducting just to make sure it doesn't flake off when it flexes, if they make an epoxy based one I bet that would be perfect...

You think you'd even have a corrosive problem Joe? To me If you have enough ventilation & the vents will suck out the moisture & cause corrosive problems internally more than externally in the ducting anyways, just replace it & fans every two years LOL!

Great idea Mark, I know they make a line of high heat paint that people can use on automobile engines, I bet that would hold up temp wise. I'll test some on an extra piece of ducting just to make sure it doesn't flake off when it flexes, if they make an epoxy based one I bet that would be perfect...

Let me know how it goes will you.. I am in the middle of a tank stand and cabinet build for my 75 and if it works I know where I'll put that paint.. ;)

220 Volt

Yesterday my electricians came out and installed a new circuit breaker tranfer panel which allowed five new dedicated 20 amp circuits to be installed for my system and will also allow me to use my generator when necessary without stringing multiple extension cords for my tanks, doing this of course ensures that we will have no power outages for years to come. The wall photo shows the placement of five quad outlets, each one a separate circuit, the two top ones for lighting, and the three lower ones for pumps and other equipment, there is also another dedicated circuit in the basement for a chiller when I get around to that.
Hi
Just thought I would let you in on a little trade hush-hush. So don't tell anyone; OK?
If you're going to use 400w MH HQI's then use 240 volt electronic ballast rather than those 120 volt ballast and you'll knock your electric bill down to just above the level of using the same number of 150w HQI's.

WOW Joe. Let me know when you turn that bad boy on I will look your way. I should see it from puyallup. Looks well thought out nice job

I know he is blazin' thoes 400's. They are casting light into the back windows of my house. Joe, we told you 2 hours a day for the first week! Now let's see some pic's. Stop playin' with our emotions!

J

The Bigger Day!!!

My thanks to Jason Gregory, Owner of Clear Fabrications, and to Eric Dustin, Owner of Veralte Aquatics. You have both made my Wet Dream a reality. Also, the fish tank is really nice.

My hood is in place and I'm on cloud 9. Photos are with the actinics alone (all 840 watts of them). The 1600 watts of MH were already turned off so my corals didn't fry, more pics to follow. Normally I do a running narration, but these pics say it all. Enjoy!
DSC_0003-13.jpg

DSC_0013-8.jpg

DSC_0015-9.jpg

DSC_0017-5.jpg

DSC_0018-6.jpg

DSC_0022-3.jpg

DSC_0023-3.jpg

DSC_0030-2.jpg

DSC_0033-1.jpg

DSC_0044-1.jpg

DSC_0040-2.jpg

Last edited: