just starting and feeling a little dumb....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DIY kits for LED's are definitely the cheapest way to go? What's the dims of the your tank? I got my LED strip from drfostersmith.com but I know there's plenty of others out there. I'm an "ebay wh**e" so I got my t5 lighting w/ built in timer from there. You can also find some good led kits on ebay as well, even some LED fixtures for a decent price. Most LFS I've found from personal experience, overcharge for fixtures so if you're ok with waiting a few days for shipping then I would say I've had the best luck with ebay.

I'm new here, but Senji definitely knows what he's talkin about, and honestly everyone on this sight are tons more knowledgable then I can hope to someday be. =) Definitely go in the direction he's pointing you to, because so far i've seen, none of these people here will steer you wrong. Good luck with your build Brian!!

+1 on getting led's...
if you cant DIY then there are some reasonably priced fixtures that are good.
you may need 2 of these though for a 48" aquarium.
but if you consider the upfront cost of a mh/t5 fixture, and the replacement costs of t5 and mh bulbs every 9 months,
and the cooling you will have to do with a chiller in summer to keep the system at 78* with mh/t5,
not to mention the actual cost of power, LED's are WAAAAY cheaper in the long run..
theoretically if all is well, you dont have to change the bulbs on a LED fixture for over 50,000hrs, thats over 10 years at 12hrs a day.
imagine how much money in mh/t5 bulbs you would spend in 10 years...

here's an inexpensive LED fixture on ebay that is good.
128 Watt AQUARIUM LED FIXTURE REEFCHOICE EXTREME SPS DIMABLE | eBay

Welcome to Reef Frontiers! :) Looks like you're trying to get your lighting figured out. I personally love my T5s and MH, so now its all about the right price and amount of watts per gallon. I agree with another person on this thread that a sump is really nice. I would say good filtration is very very important. Not sure what type of skimmer you have, but that's usually where I spend the most of my money. Your skimmer is your best friend. Good luck! And everyone on here will be helpful, so you've come to the right place.

+1 on getting led's...
if you cant DIY then there are some reasonably priced fixtures that are good.
you may need 2 of these though for a 48" aquarium.
but if you consider the upfront cost of a mh/t5 fixture, and the replacement costs of t5 and mh bulbs every 9 months,
and the cooling you will have to do with a chiller in summer to keep the system at 78* with mh/t5,
not to mention the actual cost of power, LED's are WAAAAY cheaper in the long run..
theoretically if all is well, you dont have to change the bulbs on a LED fixture for over 50,000hrs, thats over 10 years at 12hrs a day.
imagine how much money in mh/t5 bulbs you would spend in 10 years...

here's an inexpensive LED fixture on ebay that is good.
128 Watt AQUARIUM LED FIXTURE REEFCHOICE EXTREME SPS DIMABLE | eBay

I would not skimp on cheaper LEDs. From what I've seen and the experience I've heard from others, cheap leds are not very effective. That being said the debate on LEDs vs. MH&T5s can swing many ways. Weighing what's best in cost effectiveness and what's best for the corals is where you have to make your decision. I've found that a lot of LPS keepers prefer MH&T5s w/ LEDs for display light, and SPS keepers LEDs.

I'm not sayings LEDs are bad, but the variety of differing fixtures out there and their inconsistent results simply mean you want to do as much research and read consumer experiences before committing to a LED fixture.

The best thing you can do is take your time, even after your tank is cycled, don't be temped to throw half a dozen fish and corals in there because it looks cool. Don't run out and buy anemones, mandarins and other specimens that need a staple environment and special diets. Stick the the easier beginner corals and fish the first year. Quarantine all you new fish to prevent an MI outbreak, buy fish that are suited for you set-up and not the opposite of making them adapt to your tank. The more time you take, the less money you will waste and the more enjoyment you will get out of this hobby. A lot of people get in and back out because of constants failures due to being in a hurry and not letting their reef mature.

The best thing you can do is take your time, even after your tank is cycled, don't be temped to throw half a dozen fish and corals in there because it looks cool. Don't run out and buy anemones, mandarins and other specimens that need a staple environment and special diets. Stick the the easier beginner corals and fish the first year. Quarantine all you new fish to prevent an MI outbreak, buy fish that are suited for you set-up and not the opposite of making them adapt to your tank. The more time you take, the less money you will waste and the more enjoyment you will get out of this hobby. A lot of people get in and back out because of constants failures due to being in a hurry and not letting their reef mature.

Good sound advise!
I found it took just over a year for my system to really mature and settle in. Between loosing coral and having algae outbreaks. My tank is now going on three years old and sps coral is growing well now and (knock on wood) algae wont grow in it. Soft corals and leathers are more forgiving. Great for younger tanks.
Like he said, take your time and let the tank mature.

great advise...my kiddo's are already fantasizing about all the pretty colored fish they want to jam pack in there once the tank has cycled here shortly. hard for them to understand that this is not a cute lil freshwater tank. is there any perfect ideas on my first fish or two along with a soft coral or two to start with? bubble coral or frogspawn maybe??? tangs or clownfish???? or something even a little more exotic but hardy?

for now, i think i am going to start out with just a 4-bulb t-5 lighting set. so i'd need to buy a 48" set, are there any good brands or styles over the other? can't seem to jump on the LED wagon this early on in the game so i'll play it safe (and cheaper) for now with the t-5's. cheers friends. brian

id go with coralife pc bulbs then run 3 day and 1 actinic and get some moon lights and duel timers to controll them. ther is a guy selling icecap 660 for 80$ and an icecap 330 for 60$ verry good deal look for the ad that says "got lots of stuff for sale" both of these are perfect for ur setup.

start with one fish because when u thow that fish in ther its going to cause another cycle cus u added a load i wouldant put any corals or anenomies for at least 6 mos IMOP. a good hearty fish is good old nemo and they are goofy as hell to watch. mine will follow my fingers get on top of my pumps while over the tank verry sociable.

id go with coralife pc bulbs then run 3 day and 1 actinic and get some moon lights and duel timers to controll them. ther is a guy selling icecap 660 for 80$ and an icecap 330 for 60$ verry good deal look for the ad that says "got lots of stuff for sale" both of these are perfect for ur setup.

coralife bulbs are hands down some of the lowest par bulbs, wether they are pc or t5, just stay away from coralife period.
and i wouldnt tell a noob to buy and wire a 660 if his life depended on it...lulz
and if it was me, id do 3 blu bulbs and one white... just a matter of preference.

befor fish or anything this is a must. u got a 55 gal tank right. u have to put in a cleanup crew. now lets tolk cleaup crew. i think every1 here will agree stay away from hermit crabs.in my opinion they sell them so the hermits will eat all ur snails and u have to buy more.buy at least 40-50 cerrith snails 1 sandsifter starfish. also on snails stay away from turbo snails at first they are clumsy and will knock ur baby corals off around or make them dissapeer in the rockwork. and also what type of sand bed u have will have a factor on this.

also, watts per gallon is a completely innacurate way to figure out lighting for a reef system.
you want to look at par vs area, not watts per gallon.

and as for a clean up crew, IMO 50 cerith snals is WAAY too much. they are just going to die
after the algae cycle and then introduce more nutrient and stimulate more algae than they would hav eaten in the first place.
i would suggest 15-20 astrea snails, and 4-6 queen conch to sift the sand.

also, if your going to do t5's, then DO NOT purchase any other brand of bulbs then ATI or giesemann, the rest are shyte.
Tek makes very good quality but decent priced t5 fixtures, you can find them here:
SL-960035 Premium Aquatics - SL-960035 Aquarium Supplies

hmm might try to use some of those bulbs for hydro

Last edited:
most excellent advise fellas....this was all greek a couple of weeks ago...but it's starting to slowly sink in. my poor wife just keeps shaking her head..:jaw:

I agree with skimmy
I am using ATI bulbs in a Current Nova extreme pro Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro T-5 Fixtures unit.
I am very happy with this unit if you want just t-5's. I have the 48" 6 bulb fixture and run 4 10k and 2 actinic.
Astraea snails and margarite snails are great clean up crew. I have them and one fighting conch and two sand sifting star fish in a 90. I have a turbo snail and an urchin too.

It is nice to have a few LED moonlights. If you can find a unit with them, you would probably want to get that one. Also, you will want to get a unit that has a seperate plug for the actinics and the day light lights. That way you can plug them into a timer and have the actinics come on for a while before the day lights and stay on for a while after the daylight shut off.

Back