Katrina's 90 gallon Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaH2O

I needed an eye candy fix.

This is the Reef of Hooked/Katrina...it is amazing - including the awesome DIY neilson reactor. I thought I'd post the pics of her system that I took, in hopes that she'll post some of the great pics I know she has of her corals, and hopefully her complete set-up.

Here is a description of the system:

90 gallon AGA RR on a diy stand, canopy and side cabinet finished with oak.

20g long for zoanthid propagation. The prop tank sets on a 36" x 30" "cabinet" that also conceals the closed loop and chiller pumps and serves as a work area for fragging, water testing, etc.

2 - 250W Iwasakis on the new Icecap ballasts supplement with 3 - 110W blue actinics and 1 - 110W white actinic.

Other equipment:

DIY phosphate reactor, nilsen reactor, acrylic refugium (DIY)
Mag 12 return pump on SCWD concealed in overflow
Panworld pumps on closed loop and chiller
GEO calcium reactor
Pacific Coast CL-280 chiller
Turboflotor 1000
100 gpd RO/DI
Auto-top off and nilsen reactor plumbed into RO/DI line
Won Bros. 350W IC titanium heater
Pinpoint pH and temp monitors

Calcium reactor run 24/7 and about 2 gal of kalk dripped every night to keep my calcium around 390-400.

Approximately 16 small-med sps colonies.

Over 20 zoanthid colonies, purple tang, coral beauty, royal gramma, neon psuedochromis, 2 green mandarins, widowed ocellaris clown, purple and blue linckias, 2 serpent and 1 brittlestar, 100+ snails, NO crabs (except acro crabs)

Looks great, I'm curios Nikki did you see this system in person? If so did the Pan World pumps sound very loud? I'm considering purchasing one of them for my new 75 for the closed loop, but haven't been able to find many reviews online.

Eliyah

I didn't notice any particular pump being noisy. Katrina would be able to tell you what she thinks of them. I'm happy to say she is not going to kill me for starting this thread, and will be checking in shortly. Thanks Katrina!! :)

OH - I forgot to add...I think the 250W MH are 6500K.

Wow, nice photos--is that my tank :) I think you're a much better photographer than I am! Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, the MH are 6500K and I'm very happy with the PanWorld pumps-very quiet.

I was going to take some tank shots this weekend. I hope to have new DE lights by Labor Day weekend and I want to have some "before" photos for comparison. I'll see if I have closeups that I can post.

I just got this staghorn from Premium Aquatics

I especially like these comparison photos of my blue tort. The first one is at purchase in January 2004 and the second one is 8 months later (now)

That is quite a bit of growth...you're doing something right there ;). Thanks for the information on the pump, my main concern is getting enough pump for the closed loop without breaking my pocket book.

Eliyah

Here are a couple more coral shots that I didn't think came out very well, but here ya go....

Stunning tank Katrina, absolutely stunning. Your way to shy to not sare this one with us before.

congrates

Mike

I was quite impressed with your system Katrina. Absolutely beautiful!!! Your DIY equipment was quite amazing as well.

Thanks for posting the pics Nikki.

Thanks everyone :D

Correction on the Panworld pump Eliyah--it's a 100PXX

I dug up some more phots last night

Nikki it's really hard to get a good shot of that millepora--it's just too far from the front glass I guess.

This granulosa is my favorite although it's been a very slow grower

Last photo--this is an overall of the system. It's hard to get a good shot because the foosball table is in the way.

I still need to finish the cabinet under the counter top and I hope to expand to the right this winter. :D I want to build an oak stand (to match) with a 40 gal tank at eye level for a rose bta/maroon clown tank. The lower part will be book shelf to accomodate the stuff that's there now.

I have a Reef Optic III pendant and Sunlight Supply ballast that I plan to install over the prop tank this weekend to replace the PC lighting

My three foot tall :eek: DIY nilsen reactor can be seen on the right side of the prop tank. The Panworld pumps (yellow) are underneath the countertop.

Thanks for looking :)

Back