kpiotrowski's 300DD

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So the theory is that the extra lighting fuels the phyto that consumes the phos? Do you have to be overly concerned then on trates as that process moves forward?

interesting, for sure. its certainly counter intuitive...but i guess it makes sense. too bad par meters are so pricey, id like an idea of how much light ive really got (although the info isnt really usefull without knowing how much i really need) i may start cranking up my lights to see what happens

yes, I have heard increase lighting can decrease PO4

Funny thing, a couple years ago I posed the question to a friend battling cyano to increase lighting just trying to think outside the box. He never and that sure leaves me curiuos.

So the theory is that the extra lighting fuels the phyto that consumes the phos? Do you have to be overly concerned then on trates as that process moves forward?

assuming you mean nitrates...thats a good one! I would have to belive that since I am seeing green skim that the plankton is being skimmed and won't have a chance to breakdown. plus the pods are having a feast too!

what are your thoughts?

assuming you mean nitrates...thats a good one! I would have to belive that since I am seeing green skim that the plankton is being skimmed and won't have a chance to breakdown. plus the pods are having a feast too!

what are your thoughts?
personally? i'd just run a few extra tests.. ask the tank what it says. :)

My tank says "psssst, kevin.....I need more corals"

I'll run nitrate and po4 this weekend, that will be 1 week. I wonder if it will suck up any noticable amount of alk and mg? I actually don't keep that acurate of numbers on those to probable notice. only test mg monthly and alk every few weeks and with my current automated dosing amounts its pretty stable.

Your tank is greedy too? :)
pH might be of interest with the extra photosynthesis too... not that you should chase it....

Your tank is greedy too? :)
pH might be of interest with the extra photosynthesis too... not that you should chase it....

good one! not that this says anything about an increase in phytoplankon, but more about general photosynthesis. I checked my apex graphs and my ph went from the 8.30 to 8.32 peak range, and shot up to 8.37,8.37,8.36,8.34 the last 4 days respectivley. hmmmm I guess maybee the peak of 8.37 and gradualy decline to 8.34 may say a little something about a phyto bloom.

hmmm, may have to run the phospahate test here in a bit. I just cleaned my skimmers to see how the color is now also.

Glad ur tank is leveling out for u man!
Kinda kool having numbers and real time read out of ur tank stats right their available.
D

Thanks spinner!

I feel like an idiot about my phosphate levels! In my previous system 120g with 50g fuge, my po4 was 0.00 to 0.02. my current system has been running 0.15 to 0.19. I know the common knowledge for sps is no more than 0.03 but I seen a chart by instant ocean that says 0.20 an exceptable high for a reef and 2.0 for fowlr.

anyones thought on where mine is at? I'm not really plauged with algea. see video and note it is less now.

I thinking is...if it ain't broke..... i have run PO4 levels as high as .2 without issue's ( with a lot of sps at that) currently my 60 cube runs around .01.

I thinking is...if it ain't broke..... i have run PO4 levels as high as .2 without issue's ( with a lot of sps at that) currently my 60 cube runs around .01.

thanks tike! funny thing is I have a gallon of gfo and inline reactors I can put it in. I really wanted to see about getting the levels down before I was slave to that if you know what I mean. gonna test soon here and see if tat light increase did anything the last 5 days.

ive had some definate problems as phosphates approach .2 . hell, im even currently experiencing problems stemming from it, so im definately following this with interest

im doing a 40% WC tonight and when my sump comes back online, itll be with new water too further diluting the issue, yet the underlying issue remains

ive had some definate problems as phosphates approach .2 . hell, im even currently experiencing problems stemming from it, so im definately following this with interest

im doing a 40% WC tonight and when my sump comes back online, itll be with new water too further diluting the issue, yet the underlying issue remains

What problems are you having? Algae?

algae, lost a real nice yellow tang...got a blue tang that shows a definate change in behavior as the phosphates climb..just a general unhappiness all around

id like to get better numbers than my test kit gives, but my hanna checkers are in postal limbo at the moment (amazon sent them by ups, but somehow the post office has them and wants an additional $9 to deliver)

I don't think PO4 is the issue with the tangs, fish can handle much higher levels then corals. I would be interested in knowing what your levels are once your hanna arrive's.............Oh and SORRY for jackin your thread kpiotrowski !!!

holy freakin.................I had to do it. dropped everything and did the hanna checker test. 0.09!!!! I haven't been below 0.15 AFTER water changes since I started this tank! ..and havn't done a water change in a few weeks. ( I tested my salt mix water and it zero)

to recap I have been running my led's at about 150 peak par at 12 inches water depth ( didn't have a par meter). my photoperiod is 0800 to 930pm, but the main period when it ramps to more of that useable peak par range is is from noon to 6pm and that is time period I increased to around 250-275 par at the same depth. my goal is 400+ par at that depth and will take some weeks/months to get there.

Im gonna keep doing what I would normaly do the next week, water change etc, and then test phosphates again.

I don't think PO4 is the issue with the tangs, fish can handle much higher levels then corals. I would be interested in knowing what your levels are once your hanna arrive's.............Oh and SORRY for jackin your thread kpiotrowski !!!

its only jacking when it takes an entire page in my book,lol. no prob! I asked for opinions on this subject where most everone belives, and passes on the same info. and the common belief is if you are not at 0.02 your gonna die :boom: lol.

Back