Kris’ 390g Drop of Ocean

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BTW. Keep a real close eye on your alk for the next few weeks. I usually test every three days until I get things tuned and stable when I mess with my Ca reactor.

Yeah I have been testing every other day. Definitely know what those alk spikes do to you :eek: have a few white corals in my sump as proof (couldn't bear to throw them away even through the tank swap, so they live on (not) in my sump).

Duane,

I am right there with you except I am only doing a 35 gallon water change. The only time my hands get wet is when I have to scrap the algae from the front of my tank.
:)

So a few circumstances brought about a change in my skimmer plans. The first being it became apparent that my budget and my dreams were not going to match anytime soon, my tank was definitely suffering from underskimming and suddenly what I felt was a great deal showed up.

Last night I picked up a lightly used H&S 250 2 x 1260 Skimmer. Got it running tonight and so far I am really impressed, plugged it in, made a few adjustment and bam we have gunk! Pictures are about a half hour after start up.

Kris,

WHOA!!

Being I have the exact same skimmer, you will love it. Where did you get it? As the 250 model is not widely available?

Kirk

Kris,

WHOA!!

Being I have the exact same skimmer, you will love it. Where did you get it? As the 250 model is not widely available?

Kirk

I bought it second hand, you do not see these type of skimmers up for sale often, so I got lucky!

Did you get it from Chad in Bellingham, Kris? I saw that he was selling his. Nice score, in any case! :)

Kris, I just finished reading this thread...amazing install....looks great and I'm jealous! I'd love to have an inwall set up some day.

My wife used to complain about the cost of the tank and the cost of my motorcycle. I told her I understood how she felt, and I was going to sell both the bike and the tank. And with all the extra money I would have, I would take up drinking and gambling...havent heard her complain about either one since.

Regarding the skimmer, is that a recirc or not? I just recently mesh modded my AF150-2001. I have a Dwyer airfow meter on the way, so I dont have any numbers...but it appears like its pulling more funk out of my tank now than with the stock impellor. As soon as the Dwyer gets here, I'll hook it up and get the numbers.

Nick

Hi Kris,

Just stopped over here to see if you had any shots of the skimmer and stumbled on your build thread :D . Looks like my old friend has found a nice new home.

I hope you are as thrilled w/ the skimmer as I was. You just can't beat the H&S for value,CS, and performance. I've owned 3 now and this is my favorite. Everything is just perfect about it. Air input to water volume,neck dia./height is perfect on this one to give plenty of skimming adjustment.Quiet and it only draws about 70w for both 1260's combined. I better stop, I'm starting to sound like I sell these :lol: .

Nice to see your tank as well, very nice looking. I see the dejardini you mentioned. They are one of my favorite tangs. I need to go back and look at the pics....Did you say you had a Naso? I had a male Blonde Naso last winter and I would love to get another someday. I would'nt mind trying to find another dussumier too. First thing first though...I need to find the crab orwhatever is making short work of my livestock...Why can't he jump out of the tank like so many of my fish????:cry:

Great tank and very nice meeting you the other night. It's always nice to talk to someone who is as passionate about the hobby as myself.

Take Care,

Chad

Kris, I just finished reading this thread...amazing install....looks great and I'm jealous! I'd love to have an inwall set up some day.

My wife used to complain about the cost of the tank and the cost of my motorcycle. I told her I understood how she felt, and I was going to sell both the bike and the tank. And with all the extra money I would have, I would take up drinking and gambling...havent heard her complain about either one since.

Regarding the skimmer, is that a recirc or not? I just recently mesh modded my AF150-2001. I have a Dwyer airfow meter on the way, so I dont have any numbers...but it appears like its pulling more funk out of my tank now than with the stock impellor. As soon as the Dwyer gets here, I'll hook it up and get the numbers.

Nick

Thanks Nick, I am rather proud of the tank. Currently we are working on the wood trim for the wall, pretty close to being a completed project.

It is not a recirculating skimmer. It has pin wheel impellers so I do not think I am not going to mesh mod and have to deal with possible start up issues.

I had to empty the collection cup last night before going to bed as it was already over half full in 24 hours and I was afraid it might start overflowing before morning. I am super impressed with this skimmer so far. I am sure it will slow down once it gets my tank cleaned up. I have been underskimming since set up so the tank is kind of dirty!

Nice!!!! That sure is alot of gunk for only three hours.
Sorry I never PM'ed you back regarding your rxtr. I hope things are settling in with it.

trido,krisfal- you can somewhat use a int./non recirc. skimmer as a recirc by the way you flow water through the sump. I always liked a slow flow through the sump to keep noise down and I believe anything more through the sump than what the skimmer can process is a waste in many ways (more noise,more power,more heat).

I think I am running about a 3x turnover on my tank right now and w/ the 250Int. I had it in a seperate compartment of the sump w/ water flow being regulated through that compartment w/ a ball valve feeding it from the ext. overflow. I have another drain taking all excess water though another section of the sump. Both sections go over baffles and return to the middle where the return pump is located. This way w/ being able to regulate flow through the skimmer section you can have more contact time w/ the water....basically you are recirculating that section of the sump...not the skimmer body.

I may have just over explained that and just made it confusing :D

O' and I have alot of Tunze stuff for circ. in the tank to make up for lack of circ. from the return line ;)

Chad

Chad, you dont have to convince me. I have under a 5x turnover from my display into my sump. The overflows have elbows forcing the water in the direction of my skimmer pump intakes. I have to assume you bought a bigger better skimmer since you've sold this one. ;)

Chad, you dont have to convince me. I have under a 5x turnover from my display into my sump. The overflows have elbows forcing the water in the direction of my skimmer pump intakes. I have to assume you bought a bigger better skimmer since you've sold this one. ;)

I have'nt bought anything yet.I would'nt hesitate to buy another H&S. I saw a A300 3x1260 for $950 + shipping last week. Someone got a whale of a deal on that one. I think if I bought new H&S I would go w/ another 250Int. I had to get rid of this one on the spur of the moment for financial reasons but I am OK now.

Right now I am thinking of getting a Tunze master recirc 9460 skimmer. I've run the small tunze skimmers but these new ones look nice w/ the tunze pump on them. Not as much adjustment on the tunze vs H&S but I tend to set it and forget it anyways.

Sorry for rambling Kris :rolleyes: , back on topic. Anymore pics of the skimmer.

Chad

Chad

We need updated tank pics. I know you've added a few SPS pieces in the last few weeks.

Back