Kris’ 390g Drop of Ocean

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I hope he's using duct tape. Thats the good stuff :lol:

How many buckets did you order? I went through four when I set up my 210. They tend to go fast during setup.

Actually he hasn't tried to incorporate duct tape OR bailing wire into this project YET, although they are his favorite DIY materials:lol::lol:

I only ordered 3 buckets of salt but I already have a stockpile here. I figure with these 3 buckets I have enough to fill the new tank twice!

Kris,

I believe Ben (classclown) tried your lift system, you might want to check with him and see why he was NOT able to use them. I think it was a design issue, but could be wrong.

Kirk

Hay Kris, I use mine every day ( The lift ). Just a heads up you may want to cut some of the cable back so when you raise it up and down you don't have the 25' of cable over lapping and making it unlevel. Its nice to lift it up when you want. I have the hood 4 to 5" above the tank to help with the warmer weather and lower it when it cools down. What I is trying to say is its not just sitting on your tank and your stuck with that.
Also Ric ( SRV ) and Dan ( danno14 ) both have the same setup. They also may give you some info.
I seen other lift system on the boards. I think Eric ( salsaking ) and Joe (Jobiwan) have some nice setups. Best of luck.

Lift?

Kris,
Tracy said you were having problems with your lift. I changed mine to a 30" X 84". If that's what you are trying to do PM me and I'll talk you through what I did.

. . . having problems with your lift. I changed mine to a 30" X 84". If that's what you are trying to do PM me and I'll talk you through what I did.

:lol:Haven't even opened the box yet! But I am interested in how you lengthened the footprint, will have to discuss with you!

This weekend did not result in a lot of visual differences. Spent a lot of time watching mud (and silicone and floor leveler) dry:rolleyes: Hope to progress on getting to texture and paint throughout the week so next weekend I can begin to think about plumbing.

Spoke with Jason on Friday, the sump is ready so I will go pick it up this coming Friday. It is going to be cool to have a real sump instead of just a tank with baffles

Last edited by a moderator:
Weekend update

Well the project is still moving along.

Got the texture complete and the wall painted on both sides. The color on the front is just a base for the faux rock design I will be doing.

Front of wall

Back of wall: painted and lift system installed

Nice and level floor: within 1/32" of an inch all around

Sump is here 60" x 24" x 18"

3 drawer media tower

Still waiting on some of the valves and other plumbing stuff to come in the mail. We will probably work on finishing up the electrical this week and getting the tank pushed in to place. I can't wait to see it in the wall!:D

Tank in place!

Special thanks to the Baloghs, Gus and Bruce for coming over to help shove it into place!

If I stare into it for a long time I begin to see a reef;)

Kris,

Nice !! If I ever can convince my wife (one day) that I need front access panel done, I will be sure to ask if your husband can do the work..

Kirk

Sand Question

So I was at home depot today and noticed they have white silica sand. Can that sand safely be used in a reef tank? I do not really want to fork out the money for live sand for this tank. I have heard of people using regular play sand but I really want white sand.

Thanks

Kris,

I have known of a few people who have use it, and had poor results. Quite the diatom bloom. I know Joe has more than his fair shareof sand, perhaps he can spot you a few bags.

Tuesday will be here before you know it!
Jason

Kris,

For my tank, I picked up 10 bags of Caribsea from Eric @ SharkReef. He gave me a good discount since I was buying in bulk.

Maybe he would do the same for you.
Kirk

Since Jason keeps asking for pictures . . .;)

The faux rock wall finish is almost done. The color will lighten a bit with time, my first sample I did a couple weeks ago is a lot lighter in color. You can see a difference from top to bottom color as the top was done 2 days earlier than the bottom. You can also see the prototype of the panels I am going to use, I had to practice with painting the ocean once:)

The bottom of the soffit and the top of the curtain wall will be capped with wood.

Here is a close up of the finish

And a few parts to play with this weekend

really pretty shows me something I could do with some time and money, unfortunately I have to much time and to little money. Really nice sump set-up.

Thanks all for the nice comments!

This last weekend I started working on the plumbing, I am taking it slow and trying to think it all out as I do not want to be re-doing it, I think I re-plumbed my over the top closed loop on the last tank at least 5 times!

This coming weekend we are going camping, but I am off work until after Labor Day so I am really hoping to wrap up this tank build during that time. I am ready to see it with water in it!

So this past weekend I had an issue with strange creatures showing up in the tank:eek:. Can anybody give me an ID and tell me if they are good or bad?:lol::badgrin::lol:

This last one is really scary looking:eek:

Back