Krish's Bahamian Photo log

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Off topic Krish, been a little busy on that island this weekend. Hear about Anna nicole smith?????????

Yeah...That a bummer! That happened in the same hospital my little girl was born in. I'm hearing all kinds of things about what happened so I guess we'll soon find out the truth.

Ron (ronj) I went out today for an hour (just in tidepools) and saw this fellow and said let me catch him to motivate you some:p He's a surgeon fish about the size of a nickel! He's going in my old 75gal to help control algae:D

nice!!! are you trying to make me jealous???:D what did you catch it with and how deep was the water????? i hope he makes it...tiny ones don't seem to fare well in captivity..make sure they feed it some vitamins with it's meals!!! Brian is right...i don't need any more encouragement:p :p i am up to my ears with tangs!!!

Last edited:
LOL! I caught him in a tidepool a few inches deep. Kinda cheating, but aw well:p Where he's going, there's plenty of algae to graze on and no other fish right now, but a few little damsels. He's still swimming around in my overflow waiting on Andrew to get here. This has been the longest 30 mins yet!:p

Hope he eats the type of algae you have!!!!!

LOL...He's not for my tank as I don't have any algae for him to eat;) He goes in the tank I showed here that had the nurse shark in it (which is back in the ocean now) to help with the algae in there:)

Ahh...Well this type loves hair algae. Many here have, "been there done that" with this specific type of surgeon fish. If this particular fish is extremely picky, his home in not more than a 5 minute drive away and will go back there:)

Oh, I am sorry, I forgot. What type of tang is it ?

Not sure of the exact species name, but I have posted pics here before of the same species. I always just called them surgeonfish (not even tangs) when I refer to this type in the wild.

It's similar to these in the links, but without all the color and the attachments show a few I caught before for their pic and put them right back in the water.

http://www.h2optics.biz/photography/images/1138s.jpg

http://www.naturalbornhikers.com/Wildlife/surgeonfish,stlucia.jpg

What type of tang is it

Krish is that a Baby Atlantic Tang??? I got a little guy that size couple of years agao that came from Reeftopia they sold them as atlantic Tangs back then. Clear with a slight yellow hue on the tail as they get older they get more yellow then turn deep blue when they hit the 5-6" mark...
I think this is what he will grow up to..

Oh, I am sorry, I forgot. What type of tang is it ?

Hey Jeff! Naw...This fish is a little different than what you are talking about. This fish never goes through that juvenile stage where it turns completely yellow like your tang and then to blue. I've caught a few like what you are talking about before (I'll go and dig them up) but this fish stays the exact same color from it's juvenile stage right through to adulthood. I have a picture saved of this exact same fish as an adult in a school I took here before, but I have to find it. When I do, I'll post the pics:)

K...Here are both fish.. :)

Attachments 1 and 2
show the tang you are referring to Jeff...Atlantic Blue Tang in the juvenile stage. I caught this for my cousins nano cube and we ended up releasing him. I have caught this same fish before during it's transformation from juvenile stage into adultdood, where he is blue like your tang, but still has the yellow tail

Attachment 3
The surgeon fish I'm talking about. I found the photo I took at Atlantis of it and this is the exact fish I caught today as well as in the other pics I posted. They usually stay in schools and will graze all day:)

Attachments

• sg.jpg
    sg.jpg
    43.5 KB
you just netted him???? i still need to figure out a way to catch some of the ones at home..there are smaller ones that i found in anlke deep water, but it is like a reef with no corals..there are rocks everywhere and they hide in them..i found the larger ones in 3-6ft deep water..they will be harder to get ,unless i can corner one.. they go behind the rocks and don't come out for a while.....do you have any ideas on a trap???

LOL! Yeah...A net!:p Those rocky bottoms are the best way to catch them in ankle/waste high water. You chase them in a hole in the rock and put your net around the entrance and then get a stick or the back of another net, and poke around a bit and let them run out into your net. Sometimes, I'll chase them into a small rock and scoop the whole thing! I made one trap out of pvc pipe and fittings, but never got a chance to try it. My friend made one out of strips of wood and chicken wire and caught all sorts of things.:)

Post 274

The Gray tang Pictures from Atlantis those guys look pretty big look like they would out grow most of our reef tanks.. Nice pictures thanks for sharing...

Hey Krish, now you're picking up some nice fish those tang's are so cool man i pick them up a lot at the wholesalers. Hey don't forget to ship for free of charge to 1111 Seabird Drive BKFD,WA:D

The Gray tang Pictures from Atlantis those guys look pretty big look like they would out grow most of our reef tanks.. Nice pictures thanks for sharing...

Yeah...They can get pretty big, but not too bad. I haven't really seen any that grow bigger than your Atlatic Blue:)

Hey Krish, now you're picking up some nice fish those tang's are so cool man i pick them up a lot at the wholesalers. Hey don't forget to ship for free of charge to 1111 Seabird Drive BKFD,WA

LOL! Yeah, I'll send you a container full:p So far, I just added a wrasse I caught today (about the size of 1 grain of rice plus 1/2) into my tank, and Andrew finally came and got that tang to put in his 75gal. Next time I go out, I will catch all sorts of fish. Anything that passes I will catch and take their mug shot and let them go;)

kewl pictures dood :) .
now go and try to get a picture of the wrasse you just put in your tank :D .. i wanna see i wanna see i wanna see !!

Back