Krish's "Rubik's cube"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish, why did you go with closed loop might i ask. I started this tank with a closed loop but had the same problem and went back to just sump return and 2 tunzes. Actually, maxijet mod recently till now. How about closing the closed loop and ill send you my 2 maxijet mods. Cheap and works. The pumps can heat up tanks quick depending on which one you have. And the chiller will eat alot of electicity. The thing that raises a bill the most is something that heats and something that cools. Ive done a tighten down here to make sure my bill stays low. I cleared all the vents on the frigerator. :badgrin: Keep the heat low in the winter etc. How about putting a clip on fan on the water of the sump or the top while the lights on. Dont know if it has a canopy? I know grasping at straws. Youve seen my tank, so you know its successful even with the closed closed loop,lol.

Thanks Karen...:) I run 2 fans in my canopy blowing in cool air and then I have vents to allow the hot air to escape out of the top. The back of my stand and canopy is open so it breathes pretty good. The closed loop is definately my problem because if I cut it off, problem solved. I could disconnect the closed loop and go back to Tunzes like I had or Seio's like I had or even the Maxi jets, but I wouldn't like the fact that I would have a drilled tank and not be able to use it. Also, I just don't like how the thing looks where it is and I loved the old location where I was able to sit down on the sofa and look at it. So with this new Aquapod, I will be able to do just that again. I could get this cube back to how I want/need it, but that would require a lot of time of which I don't really have right now and also new closed loop pumps to make good use of the closed loop. So I'm just going to get the aquapod and simplify things a bit (still be able to keep just what I want) and make everyone happy. I'll be back with a really big tank no doubt (bigger than I've ever had) but for right now, this is something I have to do:)

Thanks for the offer on the Maxijets though...That was really nice of you:)

Last edited:
Ok...One last pic before it is torn down so you guys can see how it looks where it is. Don't mind the lighting in the tank. I just wanted the camera set to where everything in the room was the right color:)

BTW, that link on the other page to my new pod I had locked. I will probably start up a new thread later on when I get more pics to show.

Krish, are you saying your closed loop was adding heat?? i am thinking of starting a thread about that..i want to put my closed loop on my 125g..it will be outside my sump..i am worried because i also have another mag 12 for my return.

Yeah...But it is just the type of pump. My pumps are used externally, but I had one incadent with them before where I disconnected the pump to replumb my closed loop and when I re-opend the valve to release the water that had been sitting in the pump, it scolded me. At one time, they ran pretty cool, but now, I can hardly touch them. I shut off the closed loop and my chiller hardly runs. I would need to use another type of pump that runs cooler to make it work, but that would mean re-plumbing etc. :)

To me i would rather pay 200 for a new pump and be done than pay 300 a month for the electric bill from your chiller.

The old quite ones had a reputation of running hot for some reason, I bet you could re-route some of the plumbing & still just use one pump.

To me i would rather pay 200 for a new pump and be done than pay 300 a month for the electric bill from your chiller.

I agree...Just the time to re-plumb, change all the bulkheads etc and possibly with my luck, I buy another pump that does the same thing:lol:

The old quite ones had a reputation of running hot for some reason, I bet you could re-route some of the plumbing & still just use one pump.

I'm sure I can, but I'm just going to go simple one time for now with an all in one to avoid a bit of headache and save me a bit of time. I'd have to rebuild the stand and canopy as well etc. so...I really think I will be storing this tank and the sump so we'll see what becomes of it later:)

Back