Late fish delivery

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wrightme43

How about this. Priority over night shipment, held 24 hours in Burbank CA. Then held 9 hours in Memphis. It was 19 here last night. I am going to take deleviry in 25 mins. It is screwing my schedule for the day. LOL
In the package.
Red Sea Regal that is eating
2 occ clowns
fox face
gramma
some fire fish
And Two Crocea clams.
My thought is as I acclimate them (if they are even still alive at all)
The ammonia is going to become more toxic and burn the gills
Plus 39 hours in the cold I think is just too much for the fish to recover from.
Any experince on this?
Any thoughts?
Any ideas?
What would you do?

It would probably be best to get the temp matched and get those fish out of that nasty bag water.

Priority over night shipment

Steve I had this happen to me last year when Arizona Corals had a moving sale well Fed-ex dropped the ball in Spokane for a extra 24 hours I lost all the corals only thing that made it was 3-4 hermit crabs...Good luck my friend but If i was you make the driver wait while you open the box in front of him to verify live stock loss It is a bad time of the year for shipping thats for sure. sorry Steve I hope it not to Bad and I hope you have beter results than i did ...Jeff

wrightme43 said:
How about this. Priority over night shipment, held 24 hours in Burbank CA. Then held 9 hours in Memphis. It was 19 here last night. I am going to take deleviry in 25 mins. It is screwing my schedule for the day. LOL
In the package.
Red Sea Regal that is eating
2 occ clowns
fox face
gramma
some fire fish
And Two Crocea clams.
My thought is as I acclimate them (if they are even still alive at all)
The ammonia is going to become more toxic and burn the gills
Plus 39 hours in the cold I think is just too much for the fish to recover from.
Any experince on this?
Any thoughts?
Any ideas?
What would you do?

Sorry to hear that Steve, but best of luck. I agree with Tom...Get them acclimated and get them out of those bags.

33 HOURS IN A BAG, & COLD?
yea open the boxes first return the deceased & adjust the temp & go for the big dump, QT everything also because I'll bet they will be weak.

Make sure you float the bags for a good 10-15 min to allow the temp/pH to stabalize some before you even open the bags. There's a good chance if opened immediately you will shock the fish. FWIW, a good dose of an ammo detoxifier wouldn't hurt instead of open and dump. Unless you have aQT that you can manipulate for salinity first. Rock and a hard place in that regard, you want them out of the bad water but in doing so you can damage them quite severely if the salinity/pH changes are large.

Cheers
Steve

I remember reading somewhere that the fish was shocked because of the same problem of traveling too long (not the temp. part that also is bad) this needs to be done carefully.

Hey Steve...Don't feel too bad. You aren't the only one...I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting on a call to see if my PBT made it here alive. Apparently, he was packed yesterday morning and was supposed to come yesterday evening, but the plane decided it didn't want to come anymore so he sat there overnight and I'm not sure if he made it here alive yet. Supposedly, my friend is un-packing the shipment right now, so we'll see. So you are not alone my friend! I wish you the best of luck even more though as you have a lot more to lose than me...Keep us posted:)

Ok here are the results. Delivery was picked up at 8 01 am. Took it home. Opened the box. Open first bag and tested temp with digital therm. 51.8 F
Not quite dead but close enough, Next bag same thing, Both clowns were all the way dead. Poured all but the totally dead into my drip acclimate bucket.
Pulled water sample and started drip to bring up temp.
Added double dose of prime. It says safe to use that much in emergencys.
Tested water. Ph 6.9 very very bad, Ammonia is a seachem test that takes 30 mins for test result. Pulled one of my tank as well for refference. The color chip turned purple in less than 30 seconds. Top out on test is 6ppm. That is represented by a intense blue color, went right past it. My reference test shows no ammonia.
The regal showed some sign of life, coral b flopped and spun around alot. As the drip brought up temp and ph, the weakest fish died all the way. Dripped for one hour. Placed the fish in the tank in my room, no inverts but a star, so I can treat on the off chance they survived to get sick. My quar tanks are already full of someone elses fish. These were to go to a tank with no livestock in glasgow so I could treat them but that was just not to be. LOL
Regal is still alive, this evening, but not right at all. His mouth is open, his gill beats are way to fast, and he is totally disoriented and unaware of his surroundings.
The clams, were gaping, and had no reaction to light, shadow, or even touch. I just brought temp up on them and put them in my tank, I just wanted to get them out. I know it was risky. Seems to of paid off though, one looks like its going to maybe live the other doesnt look so good. It is slow to open and close it also seems pale in the center of the mantle.
We will have to see. I have pictures but I have just got home from working all day and want to relax for a little bit.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate you alls opinions and thoughts.
Steve
The real bummer, is the regal is a red sea that had been eating for three weeks for Dave before he shipped it to me. It is a beautiful fish, but I dont see it surviving the night, its gills are just too burnt up. I mean it just is beating them like it cant catch its breath at all.

bummer, will you get compensated for your losses?
I think you did all you could do, I guess winter transit isn't a good idea huh?

Dont know yet, Dave has always taken care of me in the past. He had three shipments that this happened to yesterday. They were insured but fedex doesnt cover livestock or that is what they told me. Then again he ships lots thru them so they will probley take care of him. Just dont know for sure yet.

Sorry to hear the shipment was in such bad shape. For future reference, I would concentrate on the temperature and pH. The best thing to do is get them out of the bag and into oxygenated water ASAP. You are correct that acclimating them in the bag will cause ammonia burn. I prefer getting the fish out of the bag and into water that has a similar pH and temperature immediately. Then I slowly adjust the pH and temperature to match the display tank over several days. However, with a temp as low as 51F you would have to get that up to within a more reasonable level more quickly. You really don't want to bring the pH up more than about .3 a day. I believe that pH and temperature are the two most crucial parameters. I also think that putting the fish directly into low salinity accelerates recovery after transport and handling.

I wrote a two part series about updating marine teleost acclimation procedures for Advanced Aquarist online magazine. I expect to see part one in the January 2006 issue.

Again I am sorry to hear about your loss. My hope is that by writing a series of articles on acclimation that it will help reduce losses like you suffered. It is tough enough when the animals have been in a bag for 24 hours (not unusual). It is really unfortunate when they have been in a bag for almost two days and the temperature has dropped to 51F.

Terry B

Thanks Terry. I did my best with what I had and what I knew. I wish I had more time with them this morning. I had to go and work though, Still didnt get done till late.

Sorry about this Steve :( Always sad to see the animals we love die from things that could be prevented by other people.

I hope you get reimbursed or credited on your end.

Best,
Ilham

Steve - sorry you are going through this. Keep us updated to what happens.

Terry - I look forward to your articles!

Back