LED fixture in a canopy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Clever

Please forgive me if this is a common question, but I cannot seem to find an answer after searching.

Is there a problem with putting a LED fixture such as the Reef Breeders value LED fixture into a home built canopy?

My plan is to set-up a 40B with a 40B sump, and I am not a big fan of the open top, light everywhere in the room look.

Thank you for any input.

Shawn

I have seen multiple canopys with that set up, you should be fine
I have an led diy with 4 heathsinks with dimensions 70 inches by 8 with a total of 108 leds, been running for about 18 months
maybe leave a few openings in the back or blind side for ventilation that's all

One thing to watch out for is condensation building up.
A friends had his Radions installed in his canopy. One unit blew. He sent it in and they told him he was sol because the unit had moisture inside. Poor guy was out $600.00 plus

I had my LEDs inside of my canopy via their wires. I rigged them so they would hang down about 2-3" from the canopy and allow enough air for the fans to do their job. You also have to be aware that if you have any fish that like to poke their heads up out of the water (my midas blenny does that a lot) they can flick water up onto the lights, so you'll want to make sure when you stop by to check how everythings doing to spot check the lights for water or excessive salt creep. The main issue was when I had to open the canopy top for big time maintenance, i'd I have to readjust after I put everything back in it's place.

It can be done, just takes a little trial and error.

hellmart or even local hardware stores like home depot or lowes sells light hangers. Just a hook with a screw on piece. I just made sure mine were rated for 20-25pds.

HTHS
-d

Actually it depends on the optics somewhat on how high they must be hung. I've got 120 degree optics on my Reef Radiance LumenTek pro 180 and have it 10-11" off the waters surface of my 40B. Excellent coverage all the way around.
aedd220dcebd265ecc83de31579529d2.jpg

I have 90 degree lenses & need to be hung higher. Really depends what you want to grow & how deep your tank is. I have had VHO, T5, metal halide, & leds. I love my evergrow IT 2060's.

I had the same issue. I wanted my t8's as high as possible. I ended up going to TAP plastic and using 1/2 plastic stock to build
a type of shelf for the fixture to slide into. Let me know if you want any pictures.

Back