Let's See Some Macros

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I went over to Katrina's/Hooked's house today, and took some shots of her amazing corals:

Katsgranulosa.jpg

Katsbirdsnest.jpg

Katsblasto.jpg

Katsacro1.jpg

Now...this last image is an interesting one. This is an aiptasia that is growing on the side of the prop tank.....but you can see it budding off babies. That's what all those little ball looking things are. We've been told how they spread like weeds....some of us have seen them spread like weeds....now you can see how they do it:

Katsaiptasiabuds.jpg

Nikki,
You're shooting some fine looking pics! I'm using a Nikon D70 for my shots. Here is one of a blasto:

1-06-37Blasto_cr.jpg

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! Great photos!!!

Beaker Bob - that last shot you posted is awesome!

Thanks for the compliments everyone! Here is a cool shot I took last week of an Asterina starfish...the ones that are real small, crawling all over your tank and have uneven arms. I was playing around with a remote flash to backlight some corals when this star crawled across the front glass where I was taking pictures. The backlighting was like an X-ray and the picture shows the internal circulatory system!

DSCF1174_crop1.jpg

We finally bought a new camera and now I'm trying to figure out how to actually take some pictures with it.

zoos.gif

Best I can do so far.

Last edited:
Beakerbob, what macro lens are you using... you are not using the stock lens right? and lighting.. are you using a remote flash?

Katchupoy,
I'm using a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF macro, equal to the Nikon 105 micro in terms of picture sharpness and bokeh. For the shot of the Asterina starfish, I rigged up an old Vivitar 283 with a remote flash trigger held above the tank and slightly behind the starfish.

Here are a couple I just took using a different lighting source I just made:
YellowPolyps-7LOGO-MR.jpg

FeatherDusterStamen-4copy2Logo.jpg

esears - what camera did you get? Very nice looking zoas!

Back