Let's Talk About ~Algae Control~

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

phosphate, or nitate.

might be such a small amount that your test doesnt, see it.

water changes, and water changes,

maybe your ROdi (if you have em) is in need of a change?

to much feeding?

something is fueling it.

red algea, that kinda looks cool, you will know when you see it,

it ways in the wind

There’re all kinda linked together, VW...
It’s hard to vote one over the other, but I’ll list my opinion in a number fashion...
1. Water- If you’re using tap water then you’re bound to have more problems than if you were to use filtered water like RO/DI.
2. Salt- If your using filtered water and then adding a salt mix that’s high in P and N content then you’re kinda defeating the purpose of the filtered water, and attempts at trying to lower the levels in your tank. And if you’re using tap water instead, then it’s twice as bad.
3. Light- If your lighting is getting old and leaning towards the red end of the spectrum, then this is a more favorable environment for algae to thrive in.

me and a select few had the joys of battleing bryopsis

witch pritty much shy of nukeing the tank is impossibel to get rid of....

water=ROdi from thefilterguys.biz
salt Tm Pro will do you good
Light must be changed regulaly.

hey that brings me to another question how often to change them (bulbs)
and what is the better salt I havnt had any probs with oceanic but what else
and I am going to go to kevs and get some chenyclean is it worth it to try ?????????????????????

I am still fighting my hair algae problem. So far I have changed to Oceanic, replaced the 50/50 actinic daylight bulbs, added mexican turbo snails, added an emperor 400 filter to help physically remove the algae (I don't continually run it because of the 2 h.reidi seahorses), will be using a tapwater purifier and reef builder when it arrives by mail, along with 10% weekly water changes. If one of these changes fixes the problem, I will never know which one, but I am sure learning a lot in the mean time. I'll keep you posted.

last time I had bad hair algea I did 3 40% water changes in the period of 1 month and it was gone I believe it is an off of another algea because it seems to start where I have had bad other algea's first

I've been battling bryopsis for several months now and nothing I do makes any difference at all to its growth. My nitrates and phosphates always measure 0ppm. I do use tap water, but my tap water always measures 0 nitrates/phosphates as well, as does my newly mixed saltwater. So I don't see the benefit of using RO/DI for battling algae. Lately I've drastically reduced feeding. I used to feed everyday, usually with frozen foods. Now I feed every other day, usually flake food. I've also been doing more water changes. Used to be once a month 25%, now it's once a week 35-40%. So far, no change in the bryopsis.

I added a phosban reactor several months ago, but knowing already that my phosphates were 0 I didn't think it would work. I was right, no effect.

I've tried several critters, none of which had any effect. I've tried dwarf sea hares (aplysia species, not dolabella which I hear are better, but impossible to find), lettuce sea slugs (they poke around on the bryopsis, but don't appear to actually eat it), several kinds of snails (cerith, nassarius, ilyanessa obsoleta, astrea, Mexican turbo, zebra turbo, Indonesian Turban, Queen Conch, red footed conch, nerite, trochus, margarita and I think one more kind). None of them touch it. Neither do my dwarf blue leg hermits or scarlet reef hermits.

The only other thing I can think of doing short of destroying the rock and all the corals living on it is to reduce the photoperiod. It's currently around 13 and a half hours per day (7:45am to 9:15pm).

The stuff even grows in my QT, which I never feed (no fish in it most of the time). Bubble algae also has no problem growing in the QT without nutrients, but it doesn't survive in my main tank thankfully.

Last edited:
bubble algae, is nothing compaired to this stuff..

I almost got it all in the sump now...
Thur water changes (with flow off) and sucking it out so i catch the spores.
Ive knocked it down almost 100% outta my main tank...

theres a large patch in the sump... that will be much eazyer to remove (and safer)

Might have bin eazyer to start over....

Good luck

DO NOT Repeat, DO NOT sCrub bryopsis with anything any time....

DO not pull it,

do not brush it

Dont touch it (with the flow on)

try it your self if you dont beleave me

bubble algae, is nothing compaired to this stuff..

I almost got it all in the sump now...
Thur water changes (with flow off) and sucking it out so i catch the spores.
Ive knocked it down almost 100% outta my main tank...

theres a large patch in the sump... that will be much eazyer to remove (and safer)

Might have bin eazyer to start over....

Good luck

You never had Razor! :shock:

_ #334
burning2nd
Anthias

My Photo Gallery

DO NOT Repeat, DO NOT sCrub bryopsis with anything any time....

DO not pull it,

do not brush it

Dont touch it (with the flow on)

try it your self if you dont beleave me

I still can't get rid of my hair algae, and I have tried most of the things that Twallace has tried. I switched to deionized tap water, switched to Oceanic salt, added an emperor 400 filter to suck up the alae when I brush it with a toothbrush, tried and lost 2 Kole tangs (no idea why), and all my mexican turbo snails died too. Could there be enough food in the frozen mysis that I feed my 2 H.reidi seahorses to be fueling the algae? I have no clue what I can do next.

Please Help!!!

One thing that I often see on message boards is bryopsis/hair algae confusion. They are not the same thing. Remedies for hair algae usually do nothing against bryopsis. In fact, apparently nothing does anything against bryopsis.

Scrubbing bryopsis covered rocks with a toothbrush just spreads the bryopsis around the tank, making the epidemic much worse very quickly. Plus it pisses off my zoanthids that are living amongst the bryopsis and they don't reopen for a few days.

no, but if i was a fish, and you were gonna give me free drinkage.... wowa!

if it wasnt gonna kill me that is....

Vodka, is the purest alcohol out there.... the russians were smart!

Back