Lighting as it relates to heat...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Handegard

Two is better!
I'm getting MH's this weekend. I'm going back and forth between 2x 175s and 2x250s.

I'd like to get the 250s, but I don't know how much heat that'll output, and I can't chill the tank... The room will be airconditioned, FWIW. It's actually be air conditioned just for the tank...

What's my best bet? Are MH's even usable w/o a chiller?

Its a 75g AGA, with no sump for now, and no chiller in the imediate future.

For now, I'm stacking all my coral on a shelf near the top of the tank, and using the PCs from the last tank.

I just responed to your PM and might shot myself in the foot.

But depending on what you want to keep, I would say go with the 250's. They can be used on none chilled tanks, but you'll have to provide some fans in the canopy for cooling more than likely and or sump area.

BTW: This is why I had the 175 avail. I just upgraded to 250's.

Last edited:
Get the 250w and put a fan blowing on the surface of the water. You will be fine.

Can I use any of these lights with glass tops?

I should have mentioned, no canopy. We will have a canopy down the road, but for now, we just have glass tops to keep the kitties out...

And I can still use a 175 potentially. How many reefers only have one tank ;)

Like I said, I had 175's on my 75g tank for about 1yr. Softies, LPS where doing great. Just started to get some SPS's and felt the 175's didn't provide the lighting dept I wanted.

With out the canopy you will need to get a pendant type mount for the bulb to hang from celling or something. No canopy makes cooling less of an issue. The Glass top is not a issue.

Reflector/Pendant:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=PF2653

Last edited:
I'd go for the dual 250's as well. I had the same issue earlier this year trying to decide on the same thing and was told I'd regret the dual 175's and wished I had gotten the dual 250's. You can get the heat down with just a cool room and fans...I did it, but you just have to be prepared to top off a bit more. I ran a total of 6 fans to keep my tank cool :oops: 3 sucking air out of the top of the canopy, 2 blowing cool air across the water and 1 blowing air in my sump. In addition, the less pumps you run, the less heat you will create so I got rid of one pump that wasn't necessary that helped as well. In the end I got a chiller just for peace of mind, but without it, I was able to get my 75gal down to about 79F. Good luck!:)

I only have one tank. Well sorta...I have a 30 temp set up housing a pair of onyx clowns. They got attacked in my main so they have a temp home. I would ditch the glass tops. They will cause heat problems as well as possible PH issues. If a cover is needed get some eggcrate from HD or Lowes.

Just realized you said no canopy...Even better for getting rid of heat! You can use egg crate on top to protect your tank from your cats as well as allow it to breathe. Here's the pendant I used on my 38gal. It was attached to my canopy, but came with eye bolts to hang it. On my 75gal, I used a retro kit:)

BTW...If you noticed, the pendant James posted a link to is the same I used. I have it off of the canopy now so if you want some closeups and better shots of it, let me know:)

The pendant james linked to is what I'm going for...

I went with the glass tops because they are made to fit my tank. I'd be worried about eggcrate, even if I cut it to just the right size, because I'm pretty sure if my 14lbs cat landed on it he'd go right through...

He's also only a concern for another month or two. He isn't my cat, he's my moms. I'm getting a new appartment (hopefully this monday!!) and she's staying with me untill December, when the place she wants becomes available.... So the glass tops won't be around long ;)

Yeah, I think pair of them will look pretty sweet. I might build a topless canopy/ shroud to hide the light from veiw if I add some VHOs, which looks uncertain at this point.

I like alot of blue, but I can totally picture the 75 with a very bright white to it as well.

Glass is awesome!!!

Check bulb selection, availability and prices. 250's generally win in these categories.

Back