Lighting for a LARGE tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SKRIZ

I am working on a 119" L x 34"W x 35" H tank. It will be a reef with 3 sides viewable. I was thinking about going with 250w mh. The iwasakis are really highly rated as far a par, and I used on ona smaller tank and liked it a lot. It was powered with an icecap. What do you guys think about lighting this tank? I want to balance bulb longevity and power consumption as best as possible. :razz:

35" Wow pretty Deep!

Hi Skriz welcome to Reef Frontiers the 250's will help on the power bill defiantly however getting good light down that far is going to be Very hard for any SPS or clams in my opinion what kind of live stock do you plan on Keeping?

SKRIZ said:
I am working on a 119" L x 34"W x 35" H tank. It will be a reef with 3 sides viewable. I was thinking about going with 250w mh. The iwasakis are really highly rated as far a par, and I used on ona smaller tank and liked it a lot. It was powered with an icecap. What do you guys think about lighting this tank? I want to balance bulb longevity and power consumption as best as possible. :razz:

35 inchs is real deep. you will need 400 watters on the low side for any sps or clams lower than 18 inchs. IMHO

I will be keeping the tank heavily stocked with fish. Later, as the tank settles and matures, I will start adding corals. I will probably make it a mixed reef, with acros.

I like the 400W in the middle idea! That way I can kinda have the best of both worlds.

How many bulbs would I need with a ten foot long tank?

As far as ballasts go, what do you think?

thanks for all your help :D

Back