Lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kendog261

I got a new fixture today and installed it. But to my surprise I swear that my DIY 110watts of cf are brighter then the metal halide fixture, 250w DE HQI. It did come with a 20k bulb and I was running 10k before. Is this my eyes playing games on me or what?

20 k's will give you a darker blue appearance. Give it a while for you to adjust to it. Keep a eye on your growth/color as well and see what you like better.

Yeah, you will usually see a big difference with going from 10K's to 20K's. 10K's will sometimes give you the impression that you doubled your wattage when compared to something really blue (I know it did for me). Also, keep in mind that if the 20K is new, it will have to burn in and the color will shift some so the tank may brighten up a bit for you pretty soon. Just a thought:)

Whatever you do, don't buy the reeflux 12K:p I got one because I wanted less blue going from a 20K XM and they were identical for some reason. Another member here had the same problem as well so I'd try a different brand. I'll go and find that thread for you so you can see what I mean:)

Well, since Krish used me as an example with that thread he shared, I'll share my thoughts on the XMs.

xm's are good Ken - very good in brightness, growing coral, and nice on the pocket book too. I've had them for a while now, although mine are single end xms. I've been pretty happy with them overall. My only complaint is that I want something a little in between the 20k spectrum and the 10k spectrum, but can't seem to find a good bulb that will give me that and the big boy power growing that I'm used to at the same time.

Phoenix 14ks are supposed to be good, but they may be too blueish for your tastes.

If your looking for white, XMs will probably be your best option.

Back