Live Sand & Rock and Water Testing Question.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

thienan253

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask for advises about purchasing and setting up a new ~75 gal aquarium. My questions are what type of sands are the most popular. I read about live sand and marine depots seem to have a lot of opinions. I really want to stay about of crushed corals sand. Second, does anyone quarantine their live rock before placing it into the main tank. I have some bad experience with hitchhikers in the past.

I'm currently reading about Neptune Apex controllers and their probes. I believe setting up the controllers will be a challenge but worth it. My question is which probes will most reefers use to monitor their tanks. pHs and temp are the two commons one, but how to test for nitrates levels? what brand are the best for Nitrates, Mg, Phosphates testing?

I will begin my build beginning of next years, can't wait. I would love to have any kind of inputs and advises, thanks.

An

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask for advises about purchasing and setting up a new ~75 gal aquarium. My questions are what type of sands are the most popular. I read about live sand and marine depots seem to have a lot of opinions. I really want to stay about of crushed corals sand. Second, does anyone quarantine their live rock before placing it into the main tank. I have some bad experience with hitchhikers in the past.

An

Most people use various grades of aragonite sand.http://www.petco.com/product/121756/CaribSea-Aragonite-Aquarium-Sand.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGooglePLA-_-Fish-_-CaribSea-_-2153529&mr:trackingCode=028C66E5-939B-E211-880E-001517384FBA&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=55967177293&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=81300841933&gclid=CM7ooZ_a0sICFetDMgodZm0Arw
If you are worried that much about hitchikers then you should start with dry rock and cycle it yourself. that way you KNOW there are no hitch hikers in the rock.
I have never used a controller on my tank so others will have to chime in there.

I use Sailfert test kits but in a pinch I have used API also. I feel most of the test kits out there (except La Motte) just give you a ballpark figure in there reading anyway. HTH

Welcome to the $$$$ pit and most addicting hobby ever. ;)

I'm using Caribsea Special grade aragonite but most all sand will work that is meant for aquarium use. Just rinse it real well before placing it in your tank. It all becomes live after a few months anyway.

Besides temp and PH, starting a new tank you will want to test first for Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. After a month or so when everything is settled down keep testing Nitrate and then Phosphate, Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium. If levels are good fish and corals can be introduced to the tank. Just take your time and test, test and test!
Red Sea is a good test kit and if you want to go cheap API is good for the money.

I'm currently reading about Neptune Apex controllers and their probes. I believe setting up the controllers will be a challenge but worth it. My question is which probes will most reefers use to monitor their tanks. pHs and temp are the two commons one, but how to test for nitrates levels? what brand are the best for Nitrates, Mg, Phosphates testing?

An

Before buying something as expensive as a Neptune Controller ($500+), what do you want it to do?

i just purchased a 75gal glass rimless tank & sump made by ocean by design on CL, i'm thinking and wait to buy two EcoTech Radion XR15w PRO, two mp10wes ( bought 1 already), hook those up on apex controller. i was able to get those equipments and tanks at ~50% off the org. price. cant wait to start the built this coming spring. that's why i asked for rf members advises.

AND...... the draining of the wallet begins! :) J/K can't wait to see the build!

Back