Lost Creek 270

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

yes Rob, the corals are doing well. I also had one of the infrequent, brief visits this morning by somebody you'd remember. He shows up every 2 or 3 or 5 weeks or so! He was out for about 45 seconds this morning...I think he's grown some! KD

Awesome, I wish we still had ours.

I had a 'different' experience with my tank maintenance last night; So picture me up on the 2-step ladder up to my armpit gettin' after the coralline algae on the very bottom edge of one of the ends, sort of watching TV with a beer on the table. The power went out. Total darkness, like that only found when you're spelunking, and utter silence like in a long snow cave....then the giant sucking sound as the display partially emptied into the sump. And the power did not just jump back on like it usually does. So I'm perched up there balancing on one foot....well crap! So I thought about the bucket at the foot of the ladder with various algae-slop and fragged coral cast offs, and made my plan to get to the floor w/ out hurting myself... and it worked! I dried off & found one of the night-time viewing LED head lamps we keep next to the tank and I had light; found the beer and finished it, I was done cleaning for the evening I figured. Power on in about 15 minutes. It was funny weird!

Such a good feeling when things work like they should tho. I remember the first time my power went out and I was down there with a flashlight just watching the sump fill up. When it didn't overflow I went to the fridge and grabbed............................ a beer........................................lol.

I had a 'different' experience with my tank maintenance last night; So picture me up on the 2-step ladder up to my armpit gettin' after the coralline algae on the very bottom edge of one of the ends, sort of watching TV with a beer on the table. The power went out. Total darkness, like that only found when you're spelunking, and utter silence like in a long snow cave....then the giant sucking sound as the display partially emptied into the sump. And the power did not just jump back on like it usually does. So I'm perched up there balancing on one foot....well crap! So I thought about the bucket at the foot of the ladder with various algae-slop and fragged coral cast offs, and made my plan to get to the floor w/ out hurting myself... and it worked! I dried off & found one of the night-time viewing LED head lamps we keep next to the tank and I had light; found the beer and finished it, I was done cleaning for the evening I figured. Power on in about 15 minutes. It was funny weird!

Thanks for sharing, great story and visuals! :)

OMG . . . you guys and your beer! :becky: That was a great story Kevin, and yeah, I'm glad the beer wasn't perched on the fish tank with you and wind up in it. That was a great ending.

OMG . . . you guys and your beer! :becky: That was a great story Kevin, and yeah, I'm glad the beer wasn't perched on the fish tank with you and wind up in it. That was a great ending.
Oh I would NEVER put the beer up on the tank....might upset the pH or make the fish drunk or the coral spawn or whatever in the eventuality I knocked it it! Heaven forbid!

Yeah, me too. I don't think beer has any documented benefits for the inhabitants of a fish tank. Now, the owner of said fish tank . . . . . . well, that's another matter.

"Originally Posted by LostCreekReefer: I would also be interested in some frags of your various corals....looks like I am going to do a major overhaul of my coral situation soonish!"

From Charlie: Why you gonna do that Kevin?

Just the huge size of some of my SPS corals limits use of some of my 'prime' real-estate on the top and sides of my rock piles. I also have multiple-multiples of 2 kinds of green mushrooms (Rhodactis sp I think) that can easily be thinned/removed saved for somebody else(?) which will really free up some space. Doing both will reduce algae traps in my tank and WAY improve my water flow overall...I will post this over on my thread, too.

This just seems like a good time to get this clean-up done as I've been wanting to for a long time, never worked up the gumption to do it. I have fragged the Acropora on the right side of the tank (medium brown base w/ blue tips leaning out on the side of the tank). The difference with frags originating in your own tank and frags acquired from friends-fish store-internet, is the fact that the home-fragged large coral in my tank already is acclimated to my water and they just keep on-a-growin' like nothing ever happened....not the usual 2 - 3 month wait and see what happens, that I'm used to. I think.

Attachments

• 2013-01-05_21-19-04_28.jpg
    2013-01-05_21-19-04_28.jpg
    66.6 KB
I am taking some current pictures and figuring out photobucket. This the display and I'm getting readyto do/doing some algae clean-up.

Before I get going, Full Tank:
2013-03-03_13-54-25_204.jpg

WOW I like Photobucket! Thanks so much Charlie for walking me through it for the umteenth time!

Right end:
2013-03-03_13-52-46_552.jpg

2013-03-03_13-54-10_760.jpg

Left end:
2013-03-03_13-53-39_91.jpg

2013-03-03_13-53-53_517.jpg

Just plugging away at things. Maybe I'll measure some water parameters, too! :jaw:

Are those actual pictures that I see? Wow......................... what a novel concept ;).

You are welcome Kevin. Tank looks really good by the way.................. you learn well...........................lol.

Back