Luminarcs verse Sunlight Supply

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

meitzler

fraggy
I will be replacing Sunlight Supply 400w HQI pendants with something new on a 330 gal 30" deep tank. Would like to get insight to experiences with the Luminarcs or the new Sunlight supply reflectors. I am not happy with the Sunlight pendants due to their build quality and the high cost of double ended 400W bulbs. So I am looking for a new solution.

Still hard to beat the Luminarcs. Sunlight supply has come out with thier own reflector to compete. I believe its called the Lumenmax. The advantage of a shielded glass on the outside is it prolongs life of bulb and reflective area. A non shielded lumnarc will get back splash and get damaged easier. You can lose a little bit of reflection with shield or lose reflection from back splash.

Single ended bulbs are usually cheaper and more readily available. You still have to be careful not to touch bulb with bare hands. Bare hands on bulbs leaves oil from hands and causes uneven heating of bulb. This shortens life of bulb.

Talk to you soon,
Ed:)

I have a pair of the Lumenmax 2's over my 120 gallon. I'm happy with the. I have not used the Lumenarc's so I dont have a basis for comparison. But if I had to do it over again, I'd probably make the same choice to buy what I have....if that helps any.

Nick

I have a pair of the Lumenmax 2's over my 120 gallon. I'm happy with the. I have not used the Lumenarc's so I dont have a basis for comparison. But if I had to do it over again, I'd probably make the same choice to buy what I have....if that helps any.

Nick

I have two lumenmax II's over my cube and love them, I think they are just as good or better then the lumenarcs, especially when you put the size of them into comparison....

Matt

Back