Majestic Angelfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wgchristman,

Right now. I dunno. I think I will have to wait a couple of weeks. My wife is still giving me the "you are not spending any more money" look. Plus, will see how the budget is after Xmas. :)

Me too. I knew to stay away from fish from the Philippines as this was common knowledge, but I had NO idea that 80-90% of fish exported from Indonesia, use cyanide. Amazing and outstanding fact for anyone that is considering buying fish from this region. Yes it is a hard lesson to learn, but one that will NOT be repeated.

I only scanned the articles but they all seemed to use the 80-90% figure for the late 1990's. I think it was '97-98. So much has changed since then. This figure is not accurate for 2007. Please be careful with the topic of cyanide. The hobby/industry has become much better at weeding out the bad eggs and it no longer pays to sell damaged fish. One of the major Phillipine sources used by many of the local stores has been put through net training and does not use cyanide. I've seen video, pictures, and read numerous articles about them. This is not to say the fish they catch have never been exposed in the past. I have no idea what may have happened to your Angel, but I want to agree with Eric about all fish being prone to SDS or any number of undetectable internal problems. We receive healthier fish direct from the Phillipines and Indonesia compared to most of the MAC Certified Fish from one of the premier wholesalers in LA. We considered pursuing MAC Certification until we experienced this. There are just too many links in the chain as far as getting fish here, and having every person who handles them keep things up to MAC standards. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying cyanide use is gone. Rather, it seems its use is more isolated and poor suppliers are more easily avoided because there are so many good options and information is shared so much easier. Just some thoughts:)

Last edited:
Felt it was important enough to go back into the article and find it.

"Of all coral reef fishes imported into the U.S. in 1997, 50-60% from the Philippines and up to 90% from Indonesia were caught with cyanide.2 In recent years there has been a decrease in the percentage of cyanide caught fish from these countries, regretfully this practice has not been eliminated entirely."

As stated, this is a very controversial topic. It is politically incorrect to acknowledge the problem is other than a thing of the past. For any divers who have tried netting a fish or even used a slurp gun, you will understand why chemical collection is such a temptation, especially when a family needs food on the table or school clothes and books. It is OK to buy and keep fish just as it is OK for the museums to display rare species for publics education. All I am stating is to protect your species and keep your eyes open. Not all the stores are as considerate as the few we shop at and many are owned by very concerned hobbyists. Be that as it may, cyanide is sadly NOT a thing of the past. Again, sorry for the soapbox and if I offended anyone.

"May 4, 2006...Although illegal in most countries, the use of cyanide to capture reef fish alive is widespread, and is driven by the lucrative, growing and largely unregulated international trade in live reef food fish and marine aquarium industry. The U.S. is the number one consumer of live coral, live rock and coral reef fish for the aquarium trade and of coral skeletons and precious corals for curios and jewelry. Previous studies have estimated that most live reef fish entering into international trade and imported into the U.S. are collected with the use of cyanide, and thus are illegal."

http://www.coralreef.gov/taskforce/pdf/Decision Highlights May 2006.pdf
"June 05, 2007 ...Experts say climate change is hitting Bali's coral reefs hard, turning once vibrant diving locations into bleached shadows of their former glory. The situation has been compounded by the widespread, but illegal, use of cyanide and bombs by local fishermen."
http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,23483,21858287-27977,00.html

http://www.reefcheck.org/news/news_detail.php?id=93

Last edited:
As stated, this is a very controversial topic. It is politically incorrect to acknowledge the problem is other than a thing of the past. For any divers who have tried netting a fish or even used a slurp gun, you will understand why chemical collection is such a temptation, especially when a family needs food on the table or school clothes and books. It is OK to buy and keep fish just as it is OK for the museums to display rare species for publics education. All I am stating is to protect your species and keep your eyes open. Not all the stores are as considerate as the few we shop at and many are owned by very concerned hobbyists. Be that as it may, cyanide is sadly NOT a thing of the past. Again, sorry for the soapbox and if I offended anyone.

Well said Mike and I definately wasn't offended. Just wanted to be sure stats were not misquoted or taken out of context and then perpetuated into perceived reality. As I read through one of the new quotes you posted dated 2006 it talks about the US being the largest importer and then says "previous" studies or reports found high % cyanide caught. This is my point...these authors can quote a study from the 1960's-90's to give the perception that its all doom and gloom now. Its not perfect, we all acknowledge that, but it is so much better than the mid to late 1990's.

Last edited:
Just wondering if you had any media in your QT tank to sustain beneficial bacteria. From the sounds of everything you've said you only put in water from your display. This in itself will not have the beneficial bacteria needed to fight the waste that a fish produces. Was there any live rock or bioballs is basically what I'm asking. If not, you may have put your fish through a cycle.

Yes, there were a couple pieces of LR from my main display tank. Don't know if this is adequate or not. I would like to know what (if anything) I did wrong, so when the next time I try this fish, it will be a better outcome. Also, I have time to learn from this experience. :D

Well, from my experience, having the live rock should of been enough. Plus you had the rock in the QT for a couple of weeks prior to adding the fish. You should of been fine from that end. You may of ended up with a bad fish.

On the other hand, Barrier has had one for over a month now that looks really good. I've seen him eat and is quite alert.

Good luck Kirk.

Bricky,

Thanks. Looks like I am at least two weeks away from purchasing another fish. I will take my chances that this fish will be at BRA by then.

Kirk

Back