Marine Aquarium Expo 2011

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dude there is no way that I can wait until 2112. That is almost 101 years from now. Just kidding. I agree with all other posts bring it now.

BUMP for an Oregon crowd!!! Man, people would be all over this. There are a bunch of reef crazies just 2 hours south of seattle. heck, might as well stop here too.

Book a venue, fill some hotels, Put the gear on a truck, and on and on. Local club is pretty active. link
mANDINGA
Portland, OR

Last edited:
Kevin's been a busy boy...
I just now posted two inquiries:

1) to the PNWMAS forum:
http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22044

2) to our top ten potential "launch customers":
(e-mail copy/pasted below)

Hi Gentlemen,

This e-mail is going out to only TEN of you who we consider our special "Launch Customers".

As most of you already know, we have been in talks for months now with numerous people and clubs in the Pacific North West who very much want us to bring a MAX event to their part of the country. More specifically, the targeted city we are considering is Seattle, Washington. What has impressed us most is the sheer tenacity and desire so many people have expressed to help host such an event if we were to bring our show to Seattle in the near future. Numerous people have outright volunteered to help staff and coordinate such an event if we were to seriously consider bringing MAX to their area.

I have talked to most of you already and all but two of you were in favor of such an endeavor. The two dissenters were concerned about the relatively light demographics in the Pacific North West, and to that extent I must admit I agree with you. This will NOT be as large a show as the one we bring to Southern California, however as many of our "helpers" have pointed out, there is considerable populations of hobbyists in surrounding areas such as Tacoma, Vancouver, Portland, etc, as well as neighboring British Columbia and the rest of Washington, Oregon, Montana, and Idaho states.

Granted this area is much lighter populated compared to SoCal, however my personal prediction is they are far "hungrier" for an event like this and so will likely pull significantly higher percentages of people out of the given hobbyist pool to attend. We have predicted attendance to exceed 1,000 people but not more than 1,500 or so. As you know, this is a significant crowd for any consumer show in our industry. We also anticipate booth cost to be slightly cheaper than our SoCal event.

(Please keep in mind that this would be only ONE time and not a reoccurring event in Seattle. If this event is successful, we would then consider the possibility of hosting a "floating MAX" in a different city every other year, in addition to our normal SoCal show)

We are now in the process of developing a tentative date, and that is where I need your help. The targeted time period is Summer of 2011, so July, August, and September of 2011 are our tentative choices.

QUESTIONS:

1) Can you commit to such an event in summer of 2011?
- Yes (unconditionally)
- Yes (conditionally) ____________________________
- No

2) Which weekend(s) would work out best for your business?
- July 2, 9, 16, 23, or 30
- August 6, 13, 20, or 27
- September 3, 10, 17, or 24

3) Which weekend(s) would NOT work out for your business?
- July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- August 6, 13, 20, 27
- September 3, 10, 17, 24

4) Do recommend any specific venue or venue type?
- Professional Convention Center
- Expo Center or Fairgrounds
- Hotel Banquet room
- Whatever is "best bang for your buck"
- (enter specific favorite venues if known)

5) Do you have any other recommendations or suggestions in general?

Thank you for your time and efforts gentlemen. I will definitely keep you in the loop assuming you wish to be. (if not, please let us know)

Best Regards,

Kevin T. Adams, MBA
President and CEO
Sunset Promotional Services, Inc.
8072 Central Avenue
Garden Grove, CA 92844
(714) 530-1094 office
(714) 260-6660 mobile
[email protected]
www.MarineAquariumExpo.com www.AquariumPondExpo.com

Last edited:
The Tri-Cities, WA has a good size club with many active members, and even more who come out to our large events.

Mid Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club:
http://mcsac.org/

Last edited:
I would love to do it. Just a reminder when triing to promote MCMAC 2009 in the tri cities we had a lot from the whole NW and i don't think we broke 100+ people. I don't want to be the stick in the mud. I'm sure you would get support from the NW clubs. but they are looking 1000 to 2000 people a day.

Gotta start somewhere!
Atleast this gets everything in motion. Now just need commitments from people to go and/or volunteer.

Crap.... I would bring the whole family. so there is 4 for you. and if its good I might even make it for 2 days

Getting local stores in your area to support this show is also very important; as is innovative ways of bringing in new hobbyist.

Yeah Kevin said in our thread that exhibitors are the most important part of the show. So another way we can help is to let all of our local vendors know that there is an option to have a booth if they are interested.

So the next time you see one bring it up!!!!

There is a huge buzz down here in Oregon about this! Get ready for an influx of Oregonians!
Has anyone contacted THE Canada BC club(s).
SoCal may have the numbers on paper but we can turn 'em out!
We are hungry!!!

I'd be there for sure even if I had to go down to Portland to attend.

And I'd recommend bringing it to the Pacific Northwest in 2011 as you have the draw and attention now and I think if you wait until 2012 then you may loose some interest (people come and go within the hobby).

And finally I'd recommend NWMAX or MAXNW as you'd be having the MAX in this area for the people of the Great NW to enjoy.

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited:
UPDATE

Sorry, I had posted this to one of the club forums but forgot to update all of you:
Here is the latest:

Hi Everyone,

GREAT response, thank you for all your input.
We are still polling vendors to see who would participate.

Thus far this is what we are targeting:
(Info. is only tentative/preliminary IF we hold a PNW event next year)

Name: SEAMAX
Date: Mid-July 2011
Duration: Weekend - Friday exhibitor setup, Sat/Sun. Exhibit days
Hours: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm both Sat/Sun.
Booth Cost: ESTIMATED - $750 per 10'x10' (pipe-n-drape/tables/chairs, incl.)
Entrance Fee: ESTIMATED - $25 Adult, $15 Senior/Military, FREE for Kids 12 & under
Attendance: ESTIMATED - 1,000+
Raffle: 5:00 pm both Saturday and Sunday
Venue: 20,000-25,000 Sq. Ft. Indoor convention hall
Exhibitors: 50+ (Manufacturers, Distributors, Retailers, Hobby-sellers)
Speakers: Unknown at this time
Staff: Require 20 volunteers (10 full-time and 10 part-time)
I hope this helps
We will add more information as it is known.
Thank you to all those who are helping to make this show a reality!

MAX Staff

Last edited:
Ok, I've registered for three clubs thus far:

- PNWMAS (Porland)
- PSAS (Seattle)
- MCSAC (Tri-Cities)

What are some of the other major clubs in the Pacific North West?
Vancouver B.C., Vancouver WA., Montana, South Oregon, Idaho?

The more we get involved the better

Back