Marine Life in the Bahamas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
I know a lot of people here wonder why a person like me, living in the Bahamas, has pretty much a bare tank (not very many fish and no corals yet). So I figured I'd elaborate a bit on how my country works and it's position on the whole thing.

As I've discussed many times before, the Bahamas is against importing any marine life whatsoever into the country. The only way you can legally import anything marine, is by getting a permit from the government which isn't an easy thing to do. They really only grant these permits to companies like Atlantis and the once was Coral World for their exhibits etc. but nothing more. The reason why they are so against it is because our country's number one source of income is Tourism. Without it, we would fall under. People come here from all over the world to enjoy our climate, food and beaches. So if they were to allow locals to import foreign marine life and they happen to dump them into our waters, then it can affect the entire Bahamas in one way or the other as a whole (Just think about how Piranha's are banned in some states). Just take for instance the recent sightings of the lionfish in shallow waters. If they happen to breed and spread, they could possibly deplete some species of fish that local fisherman rely on daily for income. Then you have to worry about introducing something into the waters that can wipe out a whole reef and result in nothing but underwater graveyards which no-one will interested in coming here to see.

With the way things are going now (ie global warming etc;.) The reefs, on their own, are heading in the wrong direction to be non-existent in the very near future which again is bad for the economy and the way of life for some Bahamians. The waters are even being fished out so badly that the Bahamian Government is in the process of passing a law that will prevent fisherman from being able to obtain conch's 365 days out of the year and will only be permitted during a few months of the year just as it had to be done with crawfish. On that same note, they prohibit harvesting any corals directly off of the reefs. The reefs are in such a bad state as it is, they don't want the locals to add to it which has become even more evident in fines and jail times that are being associated with fisherman who like to bleach the reefs to catch crawfish. And the list goes on....

So in a nut shell, that is basically some of the Bahamas postion on importing, exporting and harvesting marine life. As for my position on the the subject, it is evident how I feel about it. My tank is pretty much bare so that speaks for itself. I get ragged all the time (in good fun I'm sure) by a few buddies of mine, but they know where I stand. Yes, I do want corals. It is evident by just looking at my setup because who buys a chiller and halides for only fish and rock? It's just that these things goes with sense and I'm not interested in going to jail or having a heavy fine slapped on me nor am I interested in having someone else get in trouble for me in their attempt to sneak some over, so I have to be careful how I go about it so as to not get myself thrown in the slammer. I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on my current situation and the Bahamas' position on things, which is fine, but just incase someone does personally have a problem with me having only a FOWLR (living in the Bahamas)think of it like this...When I became a member here, I only ever wanted a FOWLR setup and nothing more (always said that) because I knew corals were something pretty much out of my reach. But after being constantly asked and pressured into getting corals, I gave into the idea so I could basically fit in and be "accepted". Since then, I've been spending money like mad and trying to perfect things so that when that "little" window of opportunity happened to open for me, I'd be ready. So far, no luck, no biggie...I never come out and just talk about getting corals on my own. It is only really mentioned when someone else brings it up which is fine. In any event, if I do happen to finally get corals, that will be great because I am really looking forward to taking on the challenge. Until then, if it offends anyone that I don't have any corals in my tank, feel free to take the chance and bring some for me:p If not, then I don't mind at all if those person's just skip past my threads...It is all good:)

Well I knew you couldn't get corals by picking them on your own. What I didn't know was that it was so hard to get corals from an LFS. I thought they would have an easier time getting them. Now it makes perfect sense to me that you don't have them and why. Never bothered me either way though. You are a valued member of our little society here. You have more good advise than most even try to give. In fact most people that have had problems with others here, have mostly pulled ALL negative aspects of everyones tank and made it plain to see. Instead of giving a positive alternative to help them fix or make the tank better. There are very few people here that are like this. And those that are like this stick out like a sore thumb.

If anyone has a problem with you or the way you do things, they are looking in the box with blinders on. They don't see the whole picture and probably don't care. It's not even worth the effort to acknowledge these people as they only see the best of the best and not the ones that are on there way up to the best. :)

It's not a contest. We all use this forum to lean on our peers. Not push them over and make them feel bad for the different ways we do things.

Thanks for the reply Ron. My main point I was trying to get across was just educating everyone on how things work here in the Bahamas and also, I'm sure there are people that will look at my location and then look at my tank and be like, "What the Heck!" "Are you kidding me!" So I wanted to formally come out and explain things (how the Bahamas operates) so incase anyone wondered why things are they way they are, I can point them at this thread and they can understand.:)

What I didn't know was that it was so hard to get corals from an LFS.

As for the LFS, they will loose their business license ASAP and be fined $250,000 if they are caught! One of my best friends father owns the LFS here and he got me the 2 clowns I have now and the tang as a gift because he knew I wanted them, but since then, I haven't gotten anything else as you can see. The only other fish was the wrasse I caught myself. Where fish are concerned, you wouldn't get introuble taking them, but when it comes to corals, the government is a bit more sensitive on the subject.

I know in some countries corals are considered weeds by the locals. Is that the same basic Idea in the Bahamas?

I know in some countries corals are considered weeds by the locals. Is that the same basic Idea in the Bahamas?

Basically, but not the kind they love to smoke:p They could care less about a reef and many times you'll see people putting their hands all over the reefs and stuff, standing on them etc and they look the other way if they knock a coral off of the reef. All Bahamians care about is the fish. Other than that, a reef is just a place you can go to find fish...

Last edited:
well you know i come from Mexico :p so i know what you mean by not being able to get corals, it's just way to hard and who wants to end up in jail with a dead coral anyways :D:p.
I don't remember how did we even start with the whole coral situation in your tank but ohh well i guess for everyone is the next step.
Well i guess if i ever go there i can try smuggleing a piece of coral :D :p ....... hey if i got into the U.S. with a Canadian I.D. i can get you a coral :lol: :lol: .
No but seriously i know what you mean and i think your tank looks awesome with or without corals dood :).

Its fine man, I dont care wether you have coral or not. I know you will be happy with corals, and when you find some they will do just fine in your tank. No biggy to me at all. I have this strange rule, I fail to enforce it alot, but after a little bit I do remember and apply it.
Take a imaginary hula hoop, and put it around me. Anything in the hula hoop is my problem and I am allowed to deal with it. Anything outside my hula hoop is somebody elses problem and I dont need to deal with it.
I am not in charge of anybody but Steve. Even then just barely. LOL

LOL...A guy in a skirt would never work:p Corals are cool :cool: The Bahamas is cool :cool: The laws are weird, but for a reason. In do time if it is meant for me, it will happen...If not, I'll just put on my goggles and experience the real thing so I win no matter how you look at it;)

If not, I'll just put on my goggles and experience the real thing so I win no matter how you look at it

ok now you're just rubing it in :p:D .

LOL...A guy in a skirt would never work

how do you know? :lol: ...... hey if we saw you in green why not a guy in skirt or may be just a leaf in there and that's it :lol: :lol: .

ROFL! I ain't Tarzan Gabbs:p and about me rubbing it in...I'd never do that. I could switch it up and say you guys are rubbing it in because you guys all have corals and I don't and tease me about it as well:p

Krish. I sit slack jawed that anybody would rag you,if anybody deserves corals the effort you put in this forum and your attitude would surely move you to the front of the line,id bet theres not a member here who wouldnt hesitate to send a letter to your fisheries minister recommending a permit for you,get the name and address and ill send mine right now

Krish. I sit slack jawed that anybody would rag you,if anybody deserves corals the effort you put in this forum and your attitude would surely move you to the front of the line,id bet theres not a member here who wouldnt hesitate to send a letter to your fisheries minister recommending a permit for you,get the name and address and ill send mine right now

LOL...Thanks Steve:) The ragging I get is all in the name of fun and games...I think :confused: Yeah, I wish I could find a way to get a permit. If I had a choice though, I'd rather have a permit to export stuff. Not for a profit though because I would never make anyone pay for anything I would send them, but I'd love to share with you guys what I have here in my backyard. I think that would be so cool for you guys to be able to say, "I got this from the Bahamas" You never know man...Anything can happen. Life has no guarantees:)

Last edited:
krish75 said:
LOL...A guy in a skirt would never work:p Corals are cool :cool: The Bahamas is cool :cool: The laws are weird, but for a reason. In do time if it is meant for me, it will happen...If not, I'll just put on my goggles and experience the real thing so I win no matter how you look at it;)

Put on Brewski googles and you dont even need to leave the front room!
You'll be able to see all kinds of stuff in your tank! :lol:

ROFL!!! To hell with that!!:p It's pretty sad, but all I really see when I look in my tank is my own reflection in the empty spaces :doubt: Pretty shabby for someone living 2 minutes from the beach :oops:

ok krish, i guess i am going to have to set up a coral tank just for you. I have a 75 just sitting around waiting on me. I am not sure I could duplicate that rock scape you had but i will try. I will set it up as I get time and will post pics for you to tell me how you like it and what changes it needs. I will load it with frags from my tank and some i get given to me and when you get that window of opportunity I will send them to you. hows that sound. perhaps once it is cycled we can get people from here to send some frags to stock it.:D

ok krish, i guess i am going to have to set up a coral tank just for you. I have a 75 just sitting around waiting on me. I am not sure I could duplicate that rock scape you had but i will try. I will set it up as I get time and will post pics for you to tell me how you like it and what changes it needs. I will load it with frags from my tank and some i get given to me and when you get that window of opportunity I will send them to you. hows that sound. perhaps once it is cycled we can get people from here to send some frags to stock it.

Sounds good man....Would it be too much to ask you to pop a Tunze wave box in that tank?:p

krish75 said:
Sounds good man....Would it be too much to ask you to pop a Tunze wave box in that tank?:p
sounds good just send it over......

Back