Matt's 100 gallon Rimless OBD system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

myindoorocean

I had a 100 gallon acrylic reef tank 15+ years ago, but a growing family and the costs associated with that (along with the difficulty of keeping stock alive back then) caused me to abandon the hobby. Now, the kids are growing up and there's a little more money, so I started investigating getting started again. I went to a few shops in the Spokane area and one of them turned me on to this forum. I started snooping around and asked a few questions about finding a 100 gallon rimless in this area, when Mike (mojoreef) contacted me about their new venture, and the fact that they could make me anything I wanted.

Well, I decided to put all my eggs in that basket, and yesterday gave Oceans By Design a down payment on my custom built tank, stand, sump, and lighting fixture. Mike has spent many hours on the phone with me, explaining how things have changed and giving me ideas on how to proceed. I'm pretty excited to start this adventure with this awesome new store!

Anyway, here's a rough idea of what my system's going to look like:

100 gallon rimless tank - 48 x 24 x 20 high. Starphire glass on 3 sides. Coast to coast overflow, draining into a corner vertical black acrylic overflow. It's all going to be in the tank because I don't want any pipes on the outside because it's going to be in my living room. I want the whole system to be as clean as possible.

Tank will be drilled with 3 holes in the bottom to incorporate a closed loop system with 2 output pipes split into 4 outputs each, hidden in 2 piles of rocks. So, there will be 8 outlets total. Inlet pipe will be hidden in the back of one of the piles. I'm not going to have any internal pumps. I may eventually incorporate an Oceans Motions device to alternate the flow, but not right away, and possibly never. I don't want to see any wires or pumps.

Stand will also be purchased through OBD, built by a local craftsman in a mission furniture style, matching the other furniture in my house.

Sump will be the OBD standard setup, as seen on their pages on this forum. There is a big empty section, not sure what I'll do with it if anything. I may use it as an area to grow frags. I originally wanted to have a display refugium, but have decided against this, at least for now.

Lights. I will have 2 of their 6 cluster helios fixtures, built into a custom, slim, acrylic enclosure, approximately 36 x 18. I will be supported 9 inches above the water by 2 L-shaped tubular steel bars that are attached to the back of the stand. There will be hinges incorporated into the support system so the lights can be tipped up and out of the way for maintenance. Incorporated into the fixture will be their typhoon controller for automatic day and night control. I want this to be clean looking too, with as little wire showing as possible.

I plan on having approximately 2 or 3 inches of sand bed, with probably half the rock being dry live rock, and half being live rock. I like the idea of an ecosystem, and enjoy the critters that live in the sand.

Well, that's my plan! Hopefully I'll be getting the system in about a month, after it's built. In the meantime, Mojo has promised to send me pictures of how the progress is coming along so I can share them on this thread.

Any thoughts or questions? If I can't answer them, maybe the OBD guys will join in the conversation! I'll post some pics of the plans as I get them, and the real deal when they send them to me.

I'm so excited!!!

Matt,
Welcome back to the hobby! And a BIG WELCOME to RF.
There has been a lot of changes in the hobby in the past 15 yrs!!!

Isnt it nice to be able to get what you want Instead of settling for what is on the shelf!!!

I am sure OBD will surpass your expectations.
Great people and quality products.

Welcome back to the hobby and to RF. Looking forward to following along with the build.
Sounds like a fabulous system. I'm sure your going to be extremely happy with it.

Hey Matt, we can get that mesh for you if you want to add that. Let me tell you we are very happy to help you build this dream aquarium. We will definitely provide you with all the pics and drawings you will want for bragging fodder. Some of the behind the scenes things have already begun.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Cool, Eric. It's gonna be great.

Have you ever seen that mesh used? I don't really want anything on top of it, I guess it depends on what kind of fish I get. I guess it doesn't look too bad.

Got the sump and skimmer!

Picked up my sump and other paraphernalia today from the store. Pretty cool place, and nice to meet Mike, Eric, and Rebecca. I'm going to try to post some pics of the sump.

Here's the whole setup with pumps, media, skimmer and reactors.

dscn1409x.jpg

Closeup of the protein skimmer.

dscn1412a.jpg

Back view, showing the reactors.

dscn1413q.jpg

I have to say that these guys are awesome, their attention to detail is wonderful. Plus, their pricing is very reasonable, it ain't cheap but it's not near as much as some of the stuff I've looked at, and I don't see how the quality could be any better.

Next step, get the tank and stand. I decided to make the tank 6" longer, so it's going to be 54 x 24 x 20 high. I'm guessing that's about 120 gallons, is that right?

They're drawing it all out on CAD for me, then they'll send pics of the tank and stand for me to approve, then they'll start building it. Should be about a month before it's ready, I'm thinking.

I need to experiment with posting the photos. It's not allowing me to import them into the site, how do others do that? In imageshack I set it as 640x480. Is that wrong?

Attachments

• DSCN1409.jpg
    DSCN1409.jpg
    50.6 KB
  • DSCN1412.jpg
    DSCN1412.jpg
    39.2 KB
  • DSCN1413.jpg
    DSCN1413.jpg
    64.2 KB
Last edited:
I use the IMG code from photobucket to post pics, haven't had a problem. Sounds like it is going to be a sweet setup!

Thanks reefgeeker! I think I got it to work.

Yeah, it's going to be a sweet setup. Can hardly wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thought I should update my thread a little. I've picked up my tank, stand light from Oceans by Design and they're beautiful! Here's a picture of me in the store.

img0016lm.jpg

The tank ended up being 54" x 24" x 20" high. That works out to be about 112 gallons.

Some other details about the system:

I'm using a eheim 1262 pump for the return, and a Waveline DC10000 for the closed loop (I think). Eric from OBD is looking into the possibility that this pump might not be great as an external pump, though I've seen that people use it both ways. The instructions that came with it say submersible only, but I've seen conflicting things on the web. I really want to use it - it comes with an external controller that controls the volume and has a feed button that turns it down for 15 or 30 minutes then automatically turns it back up again when the time is up. I guess it's very quiet and doesn't use much power, because it's DC.

I got a Tunze Osmolator for my ATO and I'm running tubing from the furnace room in the basement where my RODI tank is going to be. Because it's so far an has to pump up about 10 or 12 feet, I had to buy what they call a switched socket outlet, that the osmolator can control instead of the little pump that comes with it. That way I can use any pump, which I've chosen a mag 3 pump.

I'm going to have a barrel for RODI water and a saltwater mixing barrel in the basement. I've got a PDF of how it's going to work, but I can't post that here so I'll have to try to convert it later. It's basically going to be run by one pump, an Iwaki MD40 RLT, and lots of ball valves. Plenty of power and head pressure to pump up to my tank. I'm going to run a pipe in my wall directly into my sump for water changes. Additionally, I'll be running the ATO tubing, a cat-5 cable, and an extension cord to plug into the switched outlet. The other end of the extension cord will have the mag 3 plugged into it. I had an idea for this that I think would be kind of cool. When I'm doing a water change, I can unplug the mag 3 and plug the Iwaki into the extension cord, then refill the sump using the tunze to shut off the pump when it gets full - sort of a remote control. Then I can do it by myself.

I'll use the cat-5 to connect my neptune controller to my network, so I can monitor my tank from my computer or iPhone. I have to admit, a lot of the fun in this for me is the geeky tech-stuff.

I'm going to use dead rock, here's a couple of pictures of what it's like:

dsc0005ps.jpg

dsc0005ps.jpg

I got 4 boxes of this stuff, about 200 pounds. I think I'll have too much, but I can always put some in the sump. I'm not planning on having a huge amount of rock in the tank, want to do 2 islands, kind of a valley look. Not sure if I'm going to add any live rock to seed the tank, or if I'm going to get detrivore packs from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms - : : : : Indo-Pacific Sea Farms : : : :. I also got a couple of bags of sand.

Well, that's a start. I've got to get some pipe and fittings for the plumbing under the tank and in the furnace room, then I have to actually run the pipe up to the tank. That's going to take a little while, but I hope to post some pictures with my progress.

I do have a picture of my RODI and Saltwater mixing barrels:

img0167eh.jpg

Hey all, let me know what you think!

That is an awesome system in the works Matt, and turning into a great build thread as well.

Cheers, Todd

Wow....this looks sharp!!!
I will definately be tagging along to see how things go!!
OBD looks like they do good work!
Even if Mojo is involved....

;)

Is your skimmer airstone powered?
Could you give some details on it?
What are you planning on keeping in the tank?
Nick

Back