Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lookin great Matt. Keep it up and it will be wet before you know it. :D

Eric
Oceans by Design
1055 Andover Park E
Tukwila, WA 98188
206-575-5006

Matt,
It is nice to see you are making progress on your custom build.
You must be very excited to see your vision taking form.
I'll bet there will be very few... Wish I ...... Should have......... Could have. In this build!

Great looking water/change/mixing/storage. System you have set up.

Picture of the WC pipe, ATO tubing, cat5 cable, and power cord for the ATO from the furnace room coming out of the wall behind the tank.

img0143oo.jpg

There is an unbelievable number of things to do before I can get water in this thing. I think I counted 15 things I need to plug in, just in the stand. That doesn't count the stuff n the furnace room. Plus, I think I have about 75 PVC fittings to take back that I bought and didn't use!

Never bring back fittings.....
Store them someplace, and keep a good inventory of what you have left over....
You will use them eventually.....

;)

Nick

Yeah, but when you need them next, it will most likely be a "Need-them-right-this-very-now-no-time-to-go-to-the-store" kinda thing....

Its your tank, and they're not cheap....but I've almost always wound up using left over fittings later....

Nick

Wow this tank is gonna be really nice. I can't wait until we close on our house. I'll be doing some very similar stuff on my build. I love the WC pipe and stuff hidden in the wall. Great idea.

Ready for water. You can see the 3 holes for the closed loop. Rocks this weekend!

img0155fi.jpg

Couple pictures of the sump and plumbing

img0156lg.jpg

img0157iz.jpg

The white pipe coming down into the big chamber in the sump with the tee on it is the one I'll be using for water changes. Turn a valve downstairs and the syphon will start, I'll let it drain until it stops, which I figure will take out about 20 gallons or so. Then, I'll change valves and pump the saltwater back up through the same pipe. I'll plug the big pump downstairs into the wire that runs to the Tunze Osmolator, so when it's full it will turn it off. That way, I can do the water changes by myself.

The flexible tubing is temporary, at least for the closed loop. I bought a Waveline dc10000 for the closed loop pump, but it's not able to be adapted to PVC fittings. So I'm waiting for the dc12000 which is a little more powerful, and is able to be plumbed into PVC. Plus, it's going to be apex neptune compatible. At that point, I'll have a dc10000 for sale. Perfect for a return pump I'm thinking!

Wow this tank is gonna be really nice. I can't wait until we close on our house. I'll be doing some very similar stuff on my build. I love the WC pipe and stuff hidden in the wall. Great idea.

Thanks Eddie! I put a lot of time and work into plumbing it into the furnace room. I figure it's worth it, though, it's going to make water changes so much easier! Eric from OBD helped me a bunch figuring that out.

Last edited:
Great job keeping it clean Matt. Can't wait to see it with water in it.

Eric
Oceans by Design
1055 Andover Park E
Tukwila, WA 98188
206-575-5006

Back