Matt's 100 gallon Rimless OBD system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Here's that picture of my proposed mixing station. Thanks to Eric at OBD for this.

rodiswmixingstationpage.jpg

I will be making a couple of changes, up by the ceiling I'll have a tee and another ball valve for draining when I do the water change with the pipe going directly into the floor drain. I will also probably put another tee and pipe at the bottom to the drain also, just in case I need to drain either of the barrels.

Yes, it's airstone powered. Here's the description:

Oceans by Design Deluxe 26" Protein skimmer
10" O.D. w/6" neck, 10" X 6" collection cup W/
40lmp ultra quiet air pump and dual deep
water micro pore air diffuser

The pump is an Alita AL40 Linear Air Pump and the airstone is a Boss Hogg Dual Deep Water Micro Pore Diffuser

It's a beauty.

Nice!
Mike was one of the pioneers of going back to air driven skimmers when he built his "Beast" and "Beast 2" skimmers for his tank. The only issue was trying to reliably obtain the air stones for it. At the time, the company that sold the air stones had a hard time getting the right ones when ordered....

Glad to see he and OBD have found a way around that.

Cant wait to see this build up and running.....

Nick

One of the reasons I joined the forum is when I saw the huge amount of people from washington! Cool tank thread, lots of room to fill.

Any updates Matt??
Nobody here has more interest in seeing this come together than I. Well maybe you LOL

Hey im intrested...just watching though and waiting for the livestock pics down the road :)
Very nice and sleek setup u gots their!!!!

Plumbing is going slow. Had to order a bunch of valves and loc-line and fittings and so forth. I'm also going to be setting up my rodi/mixing station and running pipe, wires, and cat-5 cable about 20 feet through finished ceilings and walls and get it into my stand. A lot to do before there's water in it, unfortunately.

Plus, I have to shim the stand, because it's straddling a bearing wall that's a little bit humped up.

Seems like a lot.

As far as livestock, I've got a few ideas but need to do some research. I'd like to have a small school of either chromis's or pajama cardinals. I like shrimp. I'm going with dead rock to minimize pests, but I'm into diversity and critters in the stand. Don't know how to accomplish both, but I'm looking at indo-pacific sea farms http://www.ipsf.com/

Anybody have thoughts on that, how to get fun, interesting critters without the problem stuff?

I don't know what I'm gonna do as far as coral. I really like softies and LPS. I need to research the different kinds. The selection is a bit overwhelming! Maybe a book about different fish and inverts would help, with lots of pictures. Or a website. Any suggestions?

Anyhow, should have all my pipe and fittings this week and be ready to roll! Pictures of the process soon, I promise!

I bought a couple of barrels that had olives in them. They seem pretty clean inside and don't smell much at all. How much do I need to clean them out before I start using them? Can I wipe them down with vinegar water then rinse them out a little? Keep in mind I'm in Spokane. Not to easy to rinse them out with a hose this time of year.

RODI/Mixing barrels

OK, I exchanged the pepper barrel for one that smelled much better. I'm ready to start setting up the RODI/mixing barrels. Finally doing some plumbing!

Here's are some pictures of my pile of stuff for this part of the project.

img0113zz.jpg

Can't see the 2nd barrel on this one.

Here's a picture of just the parts:

img0114vh.jpg

Closeup of the float parts:

img0115iy.jpg

'

More pictures of the basement.

Inside of the RODI water barrel showing dual float valves and making water

img0127fb.jpg

RODI and wiring for the dual float valves

img0130jnw.jpg

Control switches. To turn off the pumps, heaters, etc.

img0131fh.jpg

Solenoid

img0132lq.jpg

Time to set up the tank! Blank slate. Custom stand from OBD (made by Peppie).

imageggpj.jpg

Custom light by OBD. 2 six puck units in an acrylic enclosure and beautiful, sturdy brackets. Wires are run through the brackets so they don't show. I wanted to have as few wires and pipes showing on the outside of the tank/stand.

imageekr.jpg

imageigkj.jpg

Gotta hook up the apex so I can see the lights in action.

Attachments

• imageekr.jpg
    imageekr.jpg
    27.3 KB
Very very NICE Matt, amazing how clean of a build one can have when you take the time to figure it all out (well, mostly anyhow) and do it right from the start. Congrats again on one sweeet setup.

Cheers, Todd

Back