Matt's 100 gallon Rimless OBD system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Detrivore kit showed up and is in the tank. I'm starting to feel like I've got a reef tank! Rocks are getting color, have a cleanup crew, starting to get some gunk in my skimmer, have all of the OBD reactors hooked up and running, and have put away all the setup stuff that was cluttering up my living room. Plus, I've velcroed all of my controllers to the side of my stand and made them look pretty - Apex, Tunze Osmolator and Waveline. Still to do - order a custom-made black acrylic cover for the controllers and an acrylic viewing box to look at my tank from the top down from OBD.

About Indo-Pacific Sea Farms: everything came in live and kicking and they really over-delivered. I was supposed to get 20 ampihipods, I bet they sent at least 100. I was expecting 12 micro hermit crabs and 12 snails, and they probably sent 30 or more of each. I'm excited about the Live Sand Activator and Wondermud. I feel that will really add to the biodiversity of the tank. I'm into that stuff.

Some of the other things I got - baby bristle worms, spaghetti worms (they call them Mama Mia worms because they say they can't spell spaghetti) sand bed clams, and some coral food. Pretty cool putting all that stuff in the tank (other than the coral food - save that for later).

Everything's good. I wish the air pump for my skimmer was a little quieter, but I suppose it's not horrible. It is the loudest pump in my cabinet, though. Working on quieting it down, but haven't had a lot of success yet.

Over all, having fun and am excited to finally be at this point!

Last edited:
Great news Matt, looking forward to pic updates soon with Fish and Inverts milling about.

Cheers, Todd

This is were the pay-off begins, all that planning, building, wondering, redoing, ect., ect.
Its nice to hear you have started to add life to the tank, but you forgot the pics!!

I'm having trouble keeping my snails in my tank. Is this normal, or are they escaping because they don't like something about the water? Sometimes they go over the top and down the side of the tank. Everything else seems to be fine - 2 peppermint shrimp, the fish, and a small hammer frag that I probably jumped that gun on, though it's been in there for a couple of weeks and it seems to be doing great.

I now have 4 chromis, one is gone. I know these guys can do that.

I ran a battery of tests, here are the results. Let me know if anything jumps out.

Ammonia < .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 25 (been going up slowly, possibly need to do another water change?)
Salinity 1.025
pH 8.12
Phosphate 0
kh 7.3
Alk 2.62
CA 500
Mag 1500
ORP 291
Temp 78.5

The tank does seem a little cloudy. Skimmer working well. I have all OBD reactors up and running - pellets, GFO, and carbon.

Lights ramp up from 6AM to full about 10, with the blues coming on first then the whites. Then they ramp down starting at about 5, whites first then blues, off at 9. I'm only going up to 50% on both the blues and the whites.

I'm not getting much algae, I had a diatom bloom I guess, but it was gone in 3 or 4 days.

Anybody have any thoughts on how things are going?

Snails just do that, they climb around looking for food. Some snails are tidal, likes to move with the tide and they tend to climb up. As far as your Nitrate levels, that is probably just your live rock and sand bed haven't quite kicked in yet with the denitification. Water change would be a way to lower the levels immediately.

As far as your Nitrate levels, that is probably just your live rock and sand bed haven't quite kicked in yet with the denitification. Water change would be a way to lower the levels immediately.
Yeah, it's going to take a little longer because I used dry rock and sand.

Decided to try uploading a picture from my iPhone using tapatalk.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366911182.439347.jpg

Time for an update! Starting to get a few frags, some were given to me from the folks in the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene group I joined, and I bought a few on a group buy.

img0273yc.jpg

img0275rf.jpg

img0278jy.jpg

img0279yd.jpg

img0281fv.jpg

img0285vs.jpg

img0286vr.jpg

img0288df.jpg

Coming along. I wish the rock looked more like live rock, but it will happen. Looks pretty sterile right now.

Beautiful fish and starter corals...give some time and luv and care lol....ull have a beautiful tank!!!
Edit* not that ur tank isn't already beautiful. ;)
Did u use any established rock or sand...or all new?
D

Last edited:
Back