maxi jet skimmer mods (mesh & venturi)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Last edited:
update, i've been tinkering with a remora pro that i have modded and im almost ready to post some results, just playing with different designs right now, but i've already increased performance, but im still trying to dial in the right pump and injection into skimmer body combo for best performance.

yep, a great combo! better than a meshed maxijet. but a meshed sedra 2500 will overpower the bakpak, leave it with the stock euroreef style needle wheel.

or get an octopus bh100, it smokes the bakpak, even with a mesh modded maxi.

Where can I get the mesh for this modifacation? Would plastic windows screen work?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hey Mark are you going to be at BR this Sat? Do you think I can bring in the skimmer from my Solana and see if it's modable?:lol:

Thanks,

Jayson

I searched the site for step by step for a Coralife but could not find them... is there a previous post some one can point me towards? I'm swapping out my Coralife Super 125 for a DAS when it gets here and wanted to try the mod on the Coralife before moving it to my frag tanks. Any help is appreciated!!!

Where do you get the mesh material? I'm guessing you get the gutter guard at your local home center gutter stuff huh?
EDIT:
Oh never mind, just saw it up there, thanks!

Thanks Skimerwhisperer! I'll be trying this in a few days. Did you measure Killowatts and air intake before and after the mod? I'm sure I'll know immediately following the mod by bubble production out of the venturi... any use in widening the chamber opening either? Was wonderng what effect mesh thickness will have on the end result, one layer vs. two, etc...
Thanks again!
Bob
Marietta, GA

Hey Mark this is an awesome thread. thanks alot. I have that identical CPR skimmer on my sump now, now I HAVE to mod it :)

Hey Mark this is an awesome thread. thanks alot. I have that identical CPR skimmer on my sump now, now I HAVE to mod it :)

awesome, you will be very happy with the results:) post here if you have any Q's

Thanks Skimerwhisperer! I'll be trying this in a few days. Did you measure Killowatts and air intake before and after the mod? I'm sure I'll know immediately following the mod by bubble production out of the venturi... any use in widening the chamber opening either? Was wonderng what effect mesh thickness will have on the end result, one layer vs. two, etc...
Thanks again!
Bob
Marietta, GA

unfortunately i didnt have a killawatt or air meter at the time of modification, but i do know that the needle wheel modded maxijet 1000 that deltec uses pulles 160 lph of air, so im sure the mesh does at least that if not more like 200-250 lph. visual verification tells me it about doubled the power of the bakpak.
also, your not going to get more than one layer of mesh on the maxi jet impellar, and even with one layer you'll have to trim almost half of it off to make the pump start up without the mesh modded impellar hitting the volute cover

wow very nice man

Not really dummy friendly as far as all the stuff you was talking about adding but non to say the least impressive very impressive

I definetly would be willing to try it out on one of my skimmers

Great job man

Is it noisey or anything???

Back