~~May 17th 2008 Photography Workshop @ The Shark Reef~~

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

today !!!!!

I'm planning on going strait to bed as soon as I get home this morning,

if I can get up in time, I'll be spinning by (maybe a little late)

Russ

I hope everyone enjoyed the meeting. I just couldn't make it for more than one reason.

Here are some examples of my pictures that I have taken.

Sorry for the WATERMARK everyone. EDIT:problem Resolved!!! Thank you for keeping them on since I was the Sponser and it's local and such. Wasn't trying to do anything FISHY.:lol:

I hope you all enjoyed the little information I gave. And for those of you that stayed and got a picture I hope you enjoy them. I figured since the raffle diddn't happen I would just give everyone a picture (not framed) for showing up. Jonathan, and those of you who stayed for the presentation if you didn't get a pic stop by and I will give you one if you would like.

Last edited:
Thank you Eric for taking time to share your expertise to us all. I learned a lot of techniques to use with my simple point and shoot camera. I especially learned how to use some of my great underwater settings that I had never played around with!

Here are some of the shots I took.....can anyone find the ONE picture that I took outside the tank????
]

2501389954_b262c2a2fe_b.jpg

2501390336_abd9c44a9d_b.jpg

2501390788_49bd2eb8a8_b.jpg

2500562657_e6d25ee194_b.jpg

2501389262_65fb34108d_b.jpg

2501388868_047a28b34f_b.jpg

2500560077_0699c33ff6_b.jpg

2501386524_f43010bcdb_b.jpg

2500555997_efed32c9ee_b.jpg

2501383774_effbc99bcc_b.jpg

2500554165_5b09320314_b.jpg

2500608765_c244b6a22d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics Randy. I am really glad I went to this meeting as I resolved to change the way I think about photographing my tank. Really, the top-down box is giving me fits and I could have just gotten and underwater housing. Anyway, Using some of what I learned, I did turn out a few decent pics. The biggest thing for me was to take the pics in a larger size so that whenI crop I get a better quality image

You can still see some reflective issues in these but they are the best i took and I am pleased with my personal progress in such a short time.

This is a difficult color to get well...

CIMG6397_edited.jpg

While typically difficult to shoot in moving water, these came out pretty good:

CIMG6399_edited.jpg

CIMG6401_edited.jpg

CIMG6402_edited.jpg

CIMG6404_edited.jpg

CIMG6407_edited.jpg

I'm sorry I couldn't make it,

I worked graveyard sat morning, and again this morning.

I couldn't sleep for Sh*t today with the heat, so I didn't get up when I was hoping.

maybe I'll spin by one day with my camera and pick Eric's brain

After seeing the cameras others brought, I am probably going to get an underwater camera, but in the meantime, I modded the top-down box to deal with the reflections:

Image1-1.jpg

topdown2.jpg

You can see I fit it with a lid so that the lense can project through the hole. Moved the mount lower as well. The lid has rails on the underside so it stays put.

I also laminated a thin piece of black acrylic on the back side so virtually no light can get in. This really took care of the reflection issues. :)

top-down3.jpg

Here is a photo taken with it today:

weastrock051808.jpg

Another tip I learned at this meeting was to shoot in a much larger size and then crop pics down. I Had been shooting in 600 x and switched up to 3000+ x. Seems to be an improvement!

I will be posting more pics in my tank thread soon:

Me, Myself, and Sherman Too

Last edited:
Hey Eric,

Remember those kind of gray zoas I got from you?

ericzoa051808.jpg

All they needed was a little light! :lol:

Hey Eric,

Remember those kind of gray zoas I got from you?

ericzoa051808.jpg

All they needed was a little light! :lol:

Nice!

That is actually what I buy them as too. They say they are blue zoos but most the time when I get them they are grayish. If you check out my website you can see some pictures of them all colored up. BUT, I can't put my website name on threads out of my own forum so just look it up.

Looks like your mods on your box worked very well!!!

Hi guys, this is Devon, Kris' Son. I was there with my Nikon D50, and she had brought her Pentax K100D. I'm going to post up some of the shots we both took during the trip. I had great fun, and it helped me to understand why the aquarium shots always looked so flat and lifeless when I took them.

Clicking on photo will take you to the photos page where you can click "All Sizes" and see larger versions

Kris' Shots - Pentax K100D

Well, since I couldn't fit all photos into one post, here goes part two, with:

Devon's Shots
(Forgive the watermark. This is my living and I've had shots stolen, I now watermark everything.)

Yeah Dang, that sunset started the size of a fingernail. Remember when Steve bought it at the Coral Farmers Market?

well, those last pictures just make me look stupid. :rolleyes:

Well just like reef tanks, photography also has a large learning curve, at least now we have digital so we can get instant feedback. My first SLR was film with totally manual adjustments. I used to keep a log of all the settings for each shot, so once I developed the picture I could see what worked and what didn't. It is so nice with the DSLR I can instantly see what I got. Just keep practicing and learning.

What you see posted above is the best of our shots. We (my son and I) each took almost 200 shots and only had a dozen or so each we felt were worth posting. We did a little editing (mostly cropping) but one thing we did was add a red filter during the editing phase and it made a big difference to every shot. Eric's comment on the red filter making everything "pop" was one of the big lessons we both took away from the session. I believe a "real" red filter will soon be on the shopping list, although the one we used during editing did a remarkable job.

Last edited:
Back