Me, Myself, & Sherman too.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So Sherman came by tonight, helped me drink some beers (brought a nice one too) and brought me these:

CIMG7690.jpg

He made them and will probably be selling them soon. They are really nice shapes and good quality.

Also found a pretty good sized finger of hydnophora broken off, and a minor wound on the female maroon clown's forehead. The finger was at least 1/2" diameter!

New additions in QT:

Tomini Tang and a Freckled Face/Lavender Tang. I am not sure on its ID yet.

CIMG7704.jpg

It was very difficult to get any shots so this is the best of about 80 pics taken! :eek:

Thanks Jan...my assumption is that it is A. nigrofuscus, but it so hard to ID because there are several different variants.

Well my system is a complete mess today. Got home from a PSAS frag swap last night and sometime after the first lamp turned off, my controller lost its ability to control. I hand unplugged lamps, movers, dosers, etc. so I could sleep and today have spent 4 hours re-routing stuff, getting everything running and yet I still cannot control most of the equipment. I swapped a fuse out in the DC8 (first electrical outlets in the system) but still no banana.

So my kalk reactor, CO2, etc. are all offline. :( I have gone through the system several times and still cannot figure out what the real problem is. I cannot stand having stuff go South so quick and not be able to figure out the problem! Not very relaxing for sure.

Vent over.

Well my system is a complete mess today. Got home from a PSAS frag swap last night and sometime after the first lamp turned off, my controller lost its ability to control. I hand unplugged lamps, movers, dosers, etc. so I could sleep and today have spent 4 hours re-routing stuff, getting everything running and yet I still cannot control most of the equipment. I swapped a fuse out in the DC8 (first electrical outlets in the system) but still no banana.

So my kalk reactor, CO2, etc. are all offline. :( I have gone through the system several times and still cannot figure out what the real problem is. I cannot stand having stuff go South so quick and not be able to figure out the problem! Not very relaxing for sure.

Vent over.

I had a snafu like that with my controller and found fuses hiding all over the place. Have you taken the controller head apart and see if there is a micro fuse/fuses in there?

Oh yeah...already swapped them out. It ain't that. I am at the store now and just hoping nothings goes wrong. The controller was sending the wrong commands last night but luckily it wasn't actually controlling anything. This is where water volume helps. I know I can go a coule days with no real temp. or parameter problems.

Below is a series of 3 photos taken by Eric from The Shark Reef. I just don't have the capability to photograph something this small so a big thanks to Eric!!

This "thing" was found in my system on a colony of declining zoanthids and has been living in this test vial for more than two months. I have NOT opened it for any reason.

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

A couple of interesting notes:

1. The water was clean when I initially isolated this invert and now appears to have some tissue and what look a lot like feces (black dots). I believe this because they are not uniform enough IMO to be eggs.

2. It has moved a bit since being placed in the test vial, but I have never seen it move.

So my question is, what the heck is it??

Dude that is some wild sheeeeeet.

I almost want to say a tunicate, sea squirt, or sea pork but who the hell knows...

How big is the vial/mystery item?

Hey Jonathan,

Weird -- are the zoos feeling better since you took that thing away? How big is it and/or the vial? Is it close to the size of a pencil eraser or a grain of rice or what?

We're almost ready for water in the 267 gallon -- here's a pic of the back of the tank and the 3-D drawing of the lighting framework, will take some pics once we get the lights and bracket assembled and let you know how it works.

about the size of a pencil eraser. maybe 5 - 7 mm diameter.

Your system sure is coming along, but my mind can't quite decifer the second image. BAck of the tank, but it looks set into the wall. Maybe an optical confusion?

Well gosh Jonathon, I'm sure a road trip to Tri-Cities before snow flies would clear up all your confusion (until we pull out that bottle of Port that's waiting for you)! We're almost finished with the hard part so it's safe for you and Sherm to come for a visit now. :p

Yes, it's in the wall, there are some photos of the install are at this link:

http://www.canfieldreef.com/home/tank/

Struts and brackets for the lighting rack are coming from www.tslots.com

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for posting the link. Now I understand. Sort of a ventilation closet. Very nice. So where did you source the cling film? And which sick mo fo build the fuge stand? :eek: :D

Your house is looking superb. You guys should be very proud. I would love to come visit and drink your port BTW. Can't do teh driva alone though...well, maybe.

Time for a road trip for you and Sherman

Now that you mention it, yes, it is basically an enclosed closet -- our goal was to have the tank mostly enclosed with fans and vents directed to the outside. Thank goodness this was a cool summer for us since we've had our current tank lighting and chiller all dumping right into the living room. Not so bad on the west side, but summers over here get pretty hot, so not so good on the A/C bills.

The framer for our house built the shelf for the fuge out of redwood, also built the shelving in the corner where the skimmer and UV sit. Saved us a lot of time with all the landscaping and other things to deal with. Of course, we got the idea for mounting the fuge ABOVE the tank from your setup. :) We want to eventually build some sort of deck/platform with a hinged access lid on top of the sump so I can have better access to the back of the tank.

Pretty sure it's time to get Sherman off his butt and share the drive over here with you. We have two spare bedrooms now so you two won't even have to share. :badgrin:

http://www.grafixarts.com/cling_vinyl.htm is the site for the cling vinyl, but we have a bunch of sheets left so if you want to try some I bet we can make you a killer deal ! :D

????

Duuuhhhhh, all we have is queen size for the bed. I'm hoping you're referring to the cling vinyl ????? :eek:

Back