Message from a Dah Idiot.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Glad your o.k. Zoos can kill you. You already know that. I think its called palyotoxin. Especially do not put you fingers in your mouth, eyes, or nose. That stuff will mess you up. Just like girls, the pretty ones are the worst. Ha ha ha exept Nikki

Thanks Nikki for posting those links at the other place Appreciate it.

Keep us updated on how you're doing! I hope it will all be good news from here on out. :)

it has now been 5 days and the swelling in my hands is staring to go down. My finger is still painfull and My headache is now a light buzz.I hope its gone before Sunday as I need to get back to work.
Thanks for listening.

MINIATUS :oops:

thats because Mike yells when he talks"

LMAO :lol:

You crack me up so much witt.

Last edited:
It has now been a week
My hands are back to normal except for the aching. Head ache has gone away. New problem is the damn Anti Biotic they have me on is playing havoc at the other end. Sorry trying to lighten the mood on this. Going back to work tonite. Thats a good thig as the wife and kids and the inactivety is driven me nuts.Thank you all for your concerns and hope some of the newer members to reefing heed about the dangers of what is in there tank.
MINIATUS :D

Miniatus, Glad your back among the living. Thanks for being brave enough to share when you make a mistake, it takes alot of courage. Steve

Glad to hear you are ok Miniatus. You are very lucky. Some people can have a much worse reaction to toxins than others do. Like in your case. It's a good thing you went and got the help when you did otherwise you may not be here with us anymore and RF is a place that welcomes and loves it's members not wishes them farewell. A friend of mine had eaten some shellfish which he had eaten all of his life, and had to be rushed to the hospital. His throat was almost completely closed when he got there and so they had to punch a whole in his throat and push a tube down so he could breathe. Apparently the doctor said he must have swallowed some of the shell by accident! Life is funny and you never know what could happen. But I'm glad to know that everything is ok.

sorry to hear about your mishap....and I agree, everyone should wear gloves when working in the reef tank, even if you don't have zoo's. I've got some pretty nasty infections in the past working in my reef tank, I cut my hand on the LR once a few years back and got pretty sick...I always wear gloves now, even for simple maintenance...

MikeS

Geeze! I bought some of those gloves about 3 months ago, and I used them a few times, because I thought I was being careful about hurting the animals. They turned out to be quite a "pain" sometimes when dealing with smaller items, rocks, critters, whatever, so I quit using them and kept my hands and arms real clean. :eek:

Boy, those little Zoas' I got from the frag swap were a pain to get glued. They rolled around in my palm forever it seems! Man did I get lucky, heh!? The gloves are still a pain though, are there any "deluxe, heavy-duty, surgical-type, fits like skin" gloves out there for us to purchase? :oops:

Thanks for the warning, really! ( I should be on my knees right now ) > Wave98 :)

wave98 said:
The gloves are still a pain though, are there any "deluxe, heavy-duty, surgical-type, fits like skin" gloves out there for us to purchase? :oops:

Thanks for the warning, really! ( I should be on my knees right now ) > Wave98 :)

Most auto parts stores have good hd gloves. The new generation of auto techs are using them.

Don

Are you using these surgical type auto"matic" gloves yourself Don?

I'm going to go down tomorrow, and get a pair, just to be safe.

> Wave98 :)

Last edited:
WOOT
Man this brings back memory. It was a year ago this happened. Im ok now but the after effects lasted for a few months. As for Zoos I dont have any anymore lol. And I always wear heavy duty surgical gloves where I putter in a tank.
Im glad to see this thread resurrected so that New people will see and learn.

MINIATUS :D

wave98 said:
Are you using these surgical type auto"matic" gloves yourself Don?

I'm going to go down tomorrow, and get a pair, just to be safe.

> Wave98 :)

:lol: No, I've been a tech for so long my hands are like a old leather shoe. I know Carquest or Napa has boxes of them for about $10.

Don

ya dood woouu !!
i always clean my tank without gloves because sometimes they anoy me, but i know i need to start using them :(.
I'm glad you are fine and all :)

Most of the new generation of "auto techs" are likely to scrap the engine if their diagnostic hook-up is incorrect, and although you would expect them to actually use these for their reef tank in an attempt at recycling, it is more likely that they would go back to "grandaddies" telescoping magnet for those "hard to reach" spots! :p

I really like blue though, especially for the "grass". Now I just need an orange "goat". A nice 1970 "Judge" would suffice here so long as it comes with a functional "hood tach"! :lol:

Thanks all, > Wave98 :)

Back