My 20 Gallon Long......

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well i rearranged the tank couple weeks ago and it did the trick, the damsel doesn't bother the sixline at all, infact the sixline hovers around him all the time, such a weirdo!

Couple pics sporting my new clowns from Beemer, also got a fire shrimp from him but his hiding spot is amazing.

First the male perc, hes purdy.
SDC11483.jpg

And the both of them, the female looks ocellaris to me but i'm not sure.
SDC11489.jpg

couple more pics of her for identification.
SDC11459.jpg

SDC11460.jpg

her dorsal spines confuse me the most, i've only been able to count 9 or 10 rays sugesting perc though... confused!

Last edited:
A couple quick pictures since i haven't updated in forever. I added a remora pro that has a mag 3 pump and it's rediculously huge in my display so i've been slowly trying to hide it. I am going to be upgradding this tank to a 40 gallon Oceanic Stretch Hex that i recently purchased for a kind soul off of reef frontiers :) I can't wait! anyway here are a couple pics.

SDC11640.jpg

Some frags i got from Charlie: Purple Haze, Thin branch pink birdsnest, and a neon green birdsnest.

SDC11639.jpg

FTS. Glass hasn't been cleaned in a few days but tank stays relatively clean for the small cleanup crew i have:4 hermits, 1 Cerith, 1 Astrea, 3 Nassarius.

Anyway that's about it until i upgrade the tank to the hex!

You will be happy with a bigger tank! It seems like you always want to go bigger, and most of the time you are happy with it, but there is always that upgrade that you will eventually do, and after about 3 months you will think to yourself, boy, my smaller tank sure was alot easier to take care of. ;) Not that I am saying that about this tank, I think you will definately be happy with this upgrade.

I think I heard the metalic hammer in the frag tank say "Shawn, where is Shawn, please take me to Shawn" :lol: I had to tell it all in good time!

I think I heard the metalic hammer in the frag tank say "Shawn, where is Shawn, please take me to Shawn" I had to tell it all in good time!

Lol i heard it saying that too, first time i saw your Solana i was drooling over the ultra neon color of that hammer :)

Yeah i thought i would be happy with the 20L but the shallowness that i loved is starting to be what i hate. I think I'll love the vertical height the hex will give me with still having the length of the 20L, at least that is my theory :D

My only dilema now is figuring out a refuge setup since the hex will be fairly tall with it's matching stand, so my gravity equality system won't work out unless i made a super tall stand for my 5.5 gallon which would be totally ugly! My other option is to get a hob fuge setup which means i have to convince the wife that i need to spend another $100+ /shudder the thought.

Last edited:
My only dilema now is figuring out a refuge setup since the hex will be fairly tall with it's matching stand, so my gravity equality system won't work out unless i made a super tall stand for my 5.5 gallon which would be totally ugly! My other option is to get a hob fuge setup which means i have to convince the wife that i need to spend another $100+ /shudder the thought.

What about drilling it and building a sump out of a 10, 15, or 20? I would love to help you crack a perfeclty good tank. If you don't drill it I think I would opt for a HOB refugium, hope she doesn't kick you out when you tell her. :D

What about drilling it and building a sump out of a 10, 15, or 20? I would love to help you crack a perfeclty good tank. If you don't drill it I think I would opt for a HOB refugium, hope she doesn't kick you out when you tell her. :D

LOL seriously almost died laughing.

I may have to put more thought into that, perhaps a glass-holes.com overflow and their return kit, and using a 10 gallon for sump/fuge. If i go that route i may just enlist your help :D

LOL seriously almost died laughing.

I may have to put more thought into that, perhaps a glass-holes.com overflow and their return kit, and using a 10 gallon for sump/fuge. If i go that route i may just enlist your help :D

I would love to help!

or

You can stay here awhile until she cools down! :lol:

Shawn, if you end up going with a sump I'd love to learn how you end up doing it. It is just one more thing on my list of stuff to learn with my jump into saltwater.

Yea, hard to justify spending the money for a sump when you have a HOB skimmer. As neat as it would be to do a sump in my 55gal some day I just can't justify the money. I just pretend the money I save by not doing it will just go towards a big tank some day hehe.

Back