My 24g aquapod soon to be coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, bummer....Thats something you have to plan for every year.
Only turn your lights on for a short time. Run a fan across the top of the tank to cool the air and surface. You could also fill some soda bottles with water and freeze them. Float one in your sump or your tank to keep the water cooler. Maybe you can talk you parents into getting you a room air conditioner. Dont tell them I suggested that! lol....

Fill some 20 oz plastic soda bottles with water and put them in your freezer, can float in the water to cool it down. If you have a couple going you can cycle them from the freezer to the tank. You can also put a fan blowing across the surface of the water, which helps a lot. Turn the halide off if it starts getting too hot. My halides go off at 80 or 81*F.

how do you get your halide to turn off at a certain temp? i have a giant dinosuar ballast for my 175 watt... and ill do the bottles now lol. it hasnt been to hot but its supposed to warm up tomorrow. i Also lowered the amount of time the halide is supposed to be on...

UPDATE: yesterday i added a red mushroom to test if my tank was ready. The mushroom melted!!:( idk what was wrong, but than i asked my friend and he said it was probably my salinity. So i busted out the refractometer, 1.01!!! how was anything even alive?! so now i am going to be adding sal all week to get this tank back up to speed. 4 corals to come:D
also i have 4 inverts 2 snails and 2 hermets:)

You need the big "O" ring that they usually come with. The O ring slides up and down allowing you to adjust the height of the cup. In the pictures it is sitting in the correct chamber.

i guess i dont understand your question...
is the o ring not working for some reason??
you stick it around the collection cup,
and then move it up or down to adjust the cup higher or lower in the skimmer.

i figured out how to get it all running, but the holes eneded up leaking. So im going to go out today and get some supplies for the skimmer(plummers tape) and im also going to get my new tank :D and the supplies to make a all-in-one ref/tank

just redecided im not going to get supplies for a refuguim all in one 10g, im just going to do the original plan.
I sealed the holes and tightened the piping as far as it will go NO LEAKS:D

now i just need to figure out the skimming and bubble problem:(

this looks like its gonna be awesome! i cant wait to see it with the horsies in it!

your skimmer isnt broken in yet... dont worry about micro-bubbles they are actually harmless and will go away.
as for the skimmer seals, you might want to get like a 1/8 piece of flat rubber and make new gaskets,
if you cant find new gaskets at home despot/lowes. i bet the ones the skimmer comes with are too small/not thick enough,
hence the leaking.

how long will it take to brake in? there's no leaks, i fixed those, Last night the collection cup filled up twice with all sorts of good stuff, now the skimmer doesn't even get bubbles to the end of the stem and into the collection cup...

Gavin you are not getting consistent skimming because you have no bioload to speak of. As you add livestock it will skim more regularly. Just set it so it collects some each day and let it run and break in like skimmy said. Before long you will be getting really nasty stuff.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

so youre suggesting once its broken in only run it for about an hour a day so it actually skims?

No not at all. I would let it run 24/7. It just won't skim anything consistently under your current bio load. It will still pull stuff when it;s there to pull, i.e. after feeding. It will become more consistent as the skimmer breaks in and as you add more bio load.

Back