My 50

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks.
What I really need is some hands on camera tips.
You and me both Brother, I almost had it down with the old VHO setup but darned frustrating with my LED's. I know it can be done as watched Dang dial it right in.

frogspawn1.jpg
This is my favorite shot.

1guydude said:
Psas meeting at barrier is a camera deal
Almost forgot about this. Brie was a huge help to me a couple years ago when this event happened.

That last full tank shot was terrible.
So I talked Chase ( iroll253) into coming down and show me some tips on my camera.
Here are some of his pictures

resizedfts2.jpg

resizedfts.jpg

neongreencandycane.jpg

pipefish.jpg

tealhammerresized.jpg

warcoral.jpg

Nice pics, what were some of those tips? I'm still trying to figure out my Nikon and haven't been able to get any nice pictures when the blues are turned up on my led.

Lets see,,,

The biggest I think was the white balance.
On my D-80 I have presets. He set it on the 9900k setting and the pictures are very true to life for color.
Shutter speed is 1600
One click to the right ( I know, this makes no sense)

I think if I get some of these basics down, then I might be able to take some pictures I'm happy with

That is much better than the last batch Martin.
Is the Pipe fish the only fish in the tank?
I really like the motion the LPS add to a tank.

Set white balance in menu to highest #k light possible or shoot a white piece of paper under 20k ish light and use the photo as your preset white balance.
iso was set to 1600
Shutter speed is always changing depending on the light in the room. Thats why you notice the light meter in the eye piece moving as you move around the room.

His 240 and 50 gallon are both amazing tanks.

That is much better than the last batch Martin.
Is the Pipe fish the only fish in the tank?
I really like the motion the LPS add to a tank.

That's because Chase took them. But now that I have had my first hands on lesson, I may be able to take better pictures.
The pipefish is the only fish in the tank at the present time. I had a matted filefish in there for a while. Had a problem with majano's, but he took care of them.
I am looking for one small fish now. Must be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a little different, fairly small, and not compete with the pipefish for pods, and be a low risk for a open top tank.
I also like the motion of the corals.
That's why I do softies in my 240.

Which Nikon do you have? Mine is a D80

I got a D3100 a couple months ago....I'll have to mess with my white balance, tried it last night but couldn't get it to measure a photo for the preset manual, perhaps it was too dark.

I got a D3100 a couple months ago....I'll have to mess with my white balance, tried it last night but couldn't get it to measure a photo for the preset manual, perhaps it was too dark.

On my D80, in the white balance menu, I go to the choose by color temp, then there are 6 settings, starting at 6700k up to 9900k. Chase set it at the highest, 9900k and the difference was huge. The colors are very close. It was such a easy fix.

Took about a 1000 pictures yesterday and could only get a couple marginal ones.
I finally have this new coral off the frag plug and glued to a rock.
It was sold to me as a pumpkin pie monti.

tankpicture3.jpg

ppm13.jpg

I finally did something I was trying to get done for ages.
I found a container that works for me as a top-off container.
It was fairly cheap and came pre-made.
It's a dog food storage container made from food grade plastic.
It holds approx. 14 gallons which will last about 3 weeks total.
I also bought the Tsunami at1 top off system, with the aqua lifter pump.

qfqq.jpg

08t7.jpg

Back