My 70 gallon build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ok well after more water test and waiting a week. a few more tank mates were added this weekend.

so now there are 2 pj cardinals.(jesus and juan), 1 yellow tang (pete), 1 purple firefish goby(bullet) and 2 nameless snails and 2 name less crabs...lol

everyone is eating and happy swimming around.

I think your hermits and snails should have names. I have one hermit, he is named Bob. Snails are Snarky, Slick, Sandy, Slimey, Speedy, Snoopy, Super and Steve. One is also named Dopey (he's a little slow). I don't know which one is which, they all look the same to me, but they all have names.

ok here is some pics of the fishes..

null-7.jpg

juan,pete,bullet.

I think your hermits and snails should have names. I have one hermit, he is named Bob. Snails are Snarky, Slick, Sandy, Slimey, Speedy, Snoopy, Super and Steve. One is also named Dopey (he's a little slow). I don't know which one is which, they all look the same to me, but they all have names.

I only have 2 snails I shall call them sticky and icky..1 zebra and 1 mex super. My 2 little tiny crabs have not seen them not sure where they went. maybe behind the rocks or on the back side somewhere.

I only have 2 snails I shall call them sticky and icky..1 zebra and 1 mex super. My 2 little tiny crabs have not seen them not sure where they went. maybe behind the rocks or on the back side somewhere.

Your crabs should be Houdini and The Great Blackstone.

ok nothing overly new to report at this time but here is a pic of my saltwater mixing station. I thought i would explain this portion of what i did a little more. There is a 600 gph pump that has the hose on it to feed to the sump. It is plugged into its own power strip with a switch so I can turn it on and off. There is a 400 gph pump that is just for stirring the pot. And then the 100 watt heater..I use one of those siphons that you hook to the faucet to clean the tank and remove water for the water changes. It is really nice to have a set up with no buckets. the worst I have to do is pour my 5 gallon bottles into the tubs which is really not that hard or very messy..

My ato is pretty much the same thing minus the heater and salt. And it feeds the sump as well. both tubs set next to each other on the side of my tank under some tables.

Hope you all enjoy this section of my build. I have it was fun to set something up like this. I have never had a tank set up this fancy with all these fancy extras. I will say this spending the extra money to make your system user friendly sure makes it easier to enjoy your tank not thinking or feeling like it as a pain in the butt.

null-9.jpg

I need to setup something similar, my problem is I would like to build a 2 boxes that match my stand and canopy (one on each side) so I can hide it in there or my girlfriend would give me hell. :brick: Thanks for the ideas!

I need to setup something similar, my problem is I would like to build a 2 boxes that match my stand and canopy (one on each side) so I can hide it in there or my girlfriend would give me hell. :brick: Thanks for the ideas!

eayest way to do that is find a pair of matching end tables that you can put on each side of your tank.

how ever i would say go to the bg box store and measure out some of the palstic tubes before buying the tables.. also not that plastic tubs tend to leak phosphates. so you way want to run some gfo.

or if your rich just buy tables and take them to lfs store and have them buid you acrylic tanks that go inside them..

Looking good! love that stand! if you are still looking to increase return flow, do you have enough room in the HOB to put another one inch bukhead and drain? is there only the one durso style drain as seen in the pics? sorry I havn't read the whole thread if this was aleady brought up but if there is only one drain in that HOB it WILL fail on you and flood your floor. adding a second 1 inch drain with a gate valve and using the other for an emergency is the answer and also you will be able to increase your return flow as you mentioned you wanted to do.

it would be easy to glue a piece of aqrylic the size of the bottom of your current HOB to plug the existing hole in the middle, and then drill 2 holes side by side also.

i was sort of thinking about drilling a hole in the side of it as a back up over flow..

I would have to glue a new piece across the whole bottom and drill 2 holes and I dont think I want to do that.

on the side would work, and assuming thats a 1inch already in there you would need like an 1.5 backup if it was side-mounted. but then you could take advantage of of the full 1 inch drain which should drain around 960gph.

No pic update.. Just a story about how a fellow reefer came to rescue...

So right about the time I was going to start adding coral to my tank pow my leds quit working.. Had to order new bulbs and get them replaced.. Luck for me I ordered a few extras cause there were a few little snags as we went threw and fixed them. But now the lights have returned to being on and the tank could not be happier again.

I could not have done this with out the help of a fellow reefer Katchupoy....He saved me and the future of my tank.. cause I don't have them money's to go buy a new light set up right now.. Your awesome Thanks for all your time you spent with me helping me and teaching me a few things about how lighting works.. You rock brother....

Hmm that did not show up well...
Nice coral, from now on you are going to take full tank shot every month so you will have a record of when you had that coral.

ok here are pics from this weekend.. I put in a bit of coral thanks to Cesar..

null-25.jpg

null-26.jpg

there one more frog spawn as well but photobucket is being all weird.
null-27.jpg

null-29.jpg

null-28.jpg

Hey Hunter, this is Josh. Nice setup! The water change set up is a great idea, I think I'm going to steal it! I have a hose to fill back up my tank from my garage water storage, but nothing to easily drain it.

Also, your sump is nice...it makes me feel like i need to go find a deal on a sump and upgrade mine haha! Looking good!

Back