My aqua c remora just wont skim?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

iroll253

I bought an aquac remora privately from here and it has a maxijet 1200 but i just cant get the thing to skim.. I have a mag 3 but cant test it because it wont fit in my sump section. Does the ring have to completely seal or something i'm missing? Its been on my system for about a month now and i have about a eighth of an inch of wet almost clear skimate..

btw the pump seems to be working fine. When i remove the cup there are bubbles in the chamber. Its just getting them to rise to the top thats the problem.

I had one of those a few years back and hate it. It never really skimmed for me either. I replaced it with a BP with a modded MJ1200 and that thing by far out skimmed the remora.

yes the collection cup just sits all the way down. Then i have the ring just sealing the gap the best i can if that matters. The maxi is modded with a little efficiently mounted mesh. It just irritates me. Oh well i might have to shop around for an external skimmer.

Have you tried it without the modded impellar? I don't think you are supposed to mod the impellar on those, they inject air at a different point than at the pump. I could be wrong though :)

The way the mesh is attached to the impeller i don't think it would be much of a difference, ill take a pic then remove it and let you know the results.

Yah you defintly dont want a modded mesh wheel for the remora. You want to push water through it with some force. The mesh mod is working against you.

Thanks i really didn't think about it since it was modded before being used for the skimmer.

Its not working right away but i see what you guys mean about the output.
Thanks guys. I see progress already.

there is progress but i don't think its going to be enough. I could probably fit some sort of higher gph rio how much output do you think i would need?

don't waste the money on a new pump, get a new skimmer.... +1 for this skimmer sucking, from experience.

im limited on space though i built the sump around the small size of the maxijet and skimmer as shown in my thread.

The mesh mod was your first issue (no air injection on a Remora so the mesh is pointless) and the second is that you're trying to use a HOB Remora in a sump. Is your water level that high in the sump? Or did you extend the intake tubing and lower the pump? If you lowered the pump, then that's your other problem. You'll have to go to a bigger pump that can deal with the extra head. Any energy lost in pumping the water up is going to decrease the efficiency. The pump on a Remora isn't sized to "lift" water, but to push it through the injector nozzle.

Back