My aqua c remora just wont skim?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thats not the problem as fas as the "head" goes. I connected it back the way it was there is no extension compared to the stock skimmer. And yes its hob and is sitting on the rim of my sump just as it were a display. I would think it should be skimming more efficiently then on a display since my overflow is skimming the surface of the display to the sump. The problem as whisperer says and IMO is the gph needed for the injector.

Also if you look at my sump in the thread the pump is in the center and there is two drops from the display the side with the skimmer having higher baffles.

Looking at your build thread, it looks like the water level is pretty low compared to where it would be if was on the back of your tank, but if you say it's not a problem... no problem.

Ive modded it since then ive basically tried every possible thing besides a bigger pump..

I have also tried using it on the back of the display.

Thanks for the advice though i think i'm just going to look for a bigger pump for now.

Ive modded it since then ive basically tried every possible thing besides a bigger pump..

I have also tried using it on the back of the display.

Thanks for the advice though i think i'm just going to look for a bigger pump for now.

Didn't you say you already have a Mag3?... You'll get much better results with the Mag over a MJ.

You can save space by taking off the Mag's input/ouput cover and rotating it 90 degrees--then the Mag3 will stand "taller" (rather than "wider"), should only be about 3" wide--might fit in your sump then....

Or if you do use it back in your display, I'd recommend hard-plumbing connections (instead of the flex tubing)--the Mag is much heavier than the MJ and will eventually want to fall off, crushing whatever is beneath it.

I direct-connected my Mag to my RemoraPro with a (2"?) threaded PVC Union and a MPT-to-MPT connector. (just have to take the flex slip-fitting off of the Remora and replace with the MPT-to-MPT connector instead, the connect the union to that.)

I know that everyone hates Remoras on RF--but I've been using Remora (and now RemoraPro) on my 80 gallon reef for 3 years and I love it! (incredibly reliable; practically bullet-proof.)

I have tried hanging it on the back of the display and using the mag 3 for 2 days and nothing. Thanks for the tip on fitting it though.

I have tried hanging it on the back of the display and using the mag 3 for 2 days and nothing. Thanks for the tip on fitting it though.

Hmmm, that is weird! How much bio-load do you have?

I run a Remora on my 20 gallon nano project tank too--and I never really get anything off of it (maybe 1 cup full of clear skimmate/month)--but I'm running with 0 bioload right now (no lights, rocks, sand, and I couple snails....) so I don't ever expect to see much come out of that tank...

Im not sure any more but my other tank crashed to the ground and i had to force all of my live stock into that empty tank for a week and a half and it didn't skim. Yeah now i wouldn't expect much. Plus i have a fuge running. I really think it has to do with overdriving this particular injector. Maybe i just got one that needs a little extra work and is why i got it for pretty cheap.

Back