My DIY Closed loop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
I will be attempting to catch 2 deadspots in my tank with an over the top closed loop setup. This addition should put me right above 5,000 gph of flow in my 75 gal.

While I wait on a few pieces to get here next week which I ordered from Premium Aquatics, I decided to get started on the plumbing this weekend and start uploading photos.

Here is the output I will be using. It is made up of PVC pipe and fittings as well as some lockline. I got some non-toxic black pvc (or plastic) paint and painted all the plumbing partly for looks, but mainly to match the pvc threaded elbow that will be sitting underwater to the black lockline which will keep the lockline submerged to prevent micro-bubbles.

Tomorrow I will begin plumbing the intake for the pump. Also I will put in the brace/shelf that will hold the pump suspended in my stand over my sump. I will also get some more blue acrylic and make a cover in the tank (like I did for my cpr overflow) so you won't see any plumbing or the strainer for the intake in the tank. This way, the blue acrylic cover will blend into the blue acrylic background like the cpr is. I hope everything works out well. I got the idea from looking at Reed's tank (the 2 nozzles out front:)

Last edited:
Cool Krish. I like it, hope it works well.
OCD has got me down. OCD in my home town.
OCD La la la la laa.
LOL Just messing with you man.
Looks cool.

OCD La la la la laa.
Looks cool.

LOL...Thanks Steve! I was going to name this thread My OCD closed loop, but decided not to:)

OCD La la la la laa.
Looks cool

LMBO!!!! :lol:
well dood your closed loop looks awesome... man i wish I had OCD or is it compulsive buyer :D .
Hey dood if you change your mind on the Tunzes you can always send them to me if you get bored... otherwise i'm gonna get jelous of Andrew :D..... just joking

LMBO!!!!
well dood your closed loop looks awesome... man i wish I had OCD or is it compulsive buyer .
Hey dood if you change your mind on the Tunzes you can always send them to me if you get bored... otherwise i'm gonna get jelous of Andrew ..... just joking

LOL...You can have them if ever I take them out... If ever they were coming out, that would mean the tank is getting drilled!:)

LOL...You can have them if ever I take them out... If ever they were coming out, that would mean the tank is getting drilled!

hmmm i wonder if that would happen :rolleyes: right now the words OCD, projects and buying are coming into my mind :lol: .... i hope you don't though your tank looks nice as it is... don't need any drilling

hmmm i think you need more flow. maybe you should buy one of those pumps from dgasmd to run the closed loop. that should just about do it

hmmm i think you need more flow. maybe you should buy one of those pumps from dgasmd to run the closed loop. that should just about do it

Shhh...Don't tell me stuff like that:lol:

I think a desiel powered water pump, the ones that sit on a tractor tralier, about 100,000 gph would be perfect. Just run a line about 5 miles out into the ocean and a really really big drain.
Heck you would even get new fish all the time. Sometimes pieces of fish, but sometimes new fish, all kinds of stuff. It would be exciting, and No cleaning, or anything. Thats what you need man.

I think a desiel powered water pump, the ones that sit on a tractor tralier, about 100,000 gph would be perfect. Just run a line about 5 miles out into the ocean and a really really big drain.
Heck you would even get new fish all the time. Sometimes pieces of fish, but sometimes new fish, all kinds of stuff. It would be exciting, and No cleaning, or anything. Thats what you need man.

LMBO!!!! yeah dood that'd be awesome... you'd be like what's that chunk in my tank ... ohhh it's just half fish :lol: .
Well as long as you put some miracle growth in your sump and dump your rocks in the ocean every weekend for about 2 hours, you'd be set :lol::lol:

LMAO!!:lol: Yeah...That might do it! I told my wife I will have just over 5,000 gph in my tank and she roller her eyes(LOL) My first ever saltwater setup when I joined RF had a whopping 1400 gph! Big improvement! I'm sure I will get bored again after this project is finished, but I will TRY to use that energy elsewhere and finally add some corals:)

but I will TRY to use that energy elsewhere

hmmm your wife? :lol: ... just joking.
you still gotta build a tank for the baby's room ;) ...he's gonna need something to look at when he wakes up cranky from a nap :D.... ohh and just get that diving suit and you'll be set.

looks great Krish. Always good to see someone put some thought into the plumbing and be willing to think outside the box (pun intended). Look forward to the update pics and the results of your efforts.

looks great Krish. Always good to see someone put some thought into the plumbing and be willing to think outside the box (pun intended). Look forward to the update pics and the results of your efforts.

Thanks Reed! Hopefully what I have in mind will come out nicely. I had another thought tonight(LOL) I'll have to think about that one a little bit first though before I go ahead with it. It would make a cool intake though:)

Just what pump are you going to use?

This one...I found a new impeller mod that will make this puppy produce about 120 gph instead of 106! That's 60 gph per nozzle if it reaches!:lol:

Naw...I had an aqualifter go bad on me this past week so I'm using a new spare aqualifter I had. As a result, I decided to order a few more spare aqualifters from Premium Aquatics and then I figured why not buy a spare return pump for my sump one time seeing things like to go bad, so I ordered a mag950 and figured why not try the closed loop with it instead seeing I need a little extra flow in 2 spots...So I'll be using the mag950 for the CL project and ordering another spare for my return if it works out well. Like I've said before, the flow is great in the tank, but I just had 2 spots that needed a little extra love. It will be used externally like how Marc over at Melev's reef is using his mag5 on the squid. I think I will put a little bead of silicone around the head of it just incase it wants to leak. Also, it will be directly above my sump, so if it does, it will just drip in there. It shouldn't leak though:)

I just did a over the back closed loop with a mag 12.
It did leak when I tested it out, before I installed it on the tank. If you do take it apart to silicone the impeller cover to the body, just be sure you don't snap the impeller shaft, like I did. Very madening. It's made from ceramic and a little brittle.

I just did a over the back closed loop with a mag 12.
It did leak when I tested it out, before I installed it on the tank. If you do take it apart to silicone the impeller cover to the body, just be sure you don't snap the impeller shaft, like I did. Very madening. It's made from ceramic and a little brittle.

Thanks Finn...I did a CL with a mag7 before. The one I tried leaked so I swapped to another one I had laying around and that one didn't. I ended up giving the whole CL setup to Andrew (ethanriley) and to this date it is (as far as I know) up and running with no problems. Hopefully all will go well:)

Thanks Finn...I did a CL with a mag7 before. The one I tried leaked so I swapped to another one I had laying around and that one didn't. I ended up giving the whole CL setup to Andrew (ethanriley) and to this date it is (as far as I know) up and running with no problems. Hopefully all will go well

sheesh ... Andrew is a lucky guy :D.
now can i use that powerhead? :lol:

Back