My First Mush

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
I've been whining online allot lately so I thought I would have a lighter side thread :)

Tonight I made my first blender mush and to my suprise... the fish approved bigtime!

It consists of Salmon, Scallops, Shrimp, Mahi Mahi, Yellowfin, and Nori. I soaked everything in RODI to thaw out what was frozen. Then chopped the fish into squares and de-shelled the shrimp.

My first attempt was NASTY! I added too much water and blended too quickly createing seafood Puree I wouldn't inflict on bacteria :)

The succesfull attempt I added no water and pulse blended for a split second followed by mixing with my hand then pulse again - repeat until it was pretty well chopped.

mush.jpg

mush2.jpg

Last edited:
Blender mush always reminds me of barf in a bag
1.gif
. You can't beat how much the fish love it, though....add a little Selcon and you have an extra great meal for the tank. A friend of mine and I were talking recently about making a batch of mush to split between us. She thought about using those mini ice-cube trays (something like this... Pro Cocktail Mini Ice Cube Tray), and I thought about using the plastic trays that gum comes in (like Dentyne Ice), and freezing them in those empty packs. Either way, we'd have one serving per square.

Mmmm that mush is making me hungry. Do you think it would be easy to eat w/ chopsticks? Glad your fish approve, for some reason that is one diy that I have not tried out yet. Hmmm I have tail meat from salmon, and halibut in the freezer as well as some albicore, just need a few more vital ingredients.

Just make sure you soak it in ro/di water prior to feeding and then drain off the liquid before putting in the tank

Mike

Nikki: I'll have to add selcon on the next go round. I think the small cube trays are cool. I actually prefer the bags though... come to think of it I am not sure why???

BigT: Go for it! Maybe just some shrimp, scallops and maybe selcon. Just blend very light and stri often to avoide slop patae' :) TBH the batch that turned out did look good to me :) make a nice Sushi cracker dip ;)

Mike: Sound advice. I soak all my food in ro/di but I lose allot in the screen, its messy, and some of the small bits are lost.. Do you have any clean/easy ways to strain the soaked food?

Just use a fine net so it gets rid of the liquid. Brine shrimp net works well

Mike

I've got one too :) So thaw in a seperate container of RO/DI then pour through the brine net, rinse repeat. It probably will work better than the cooking screen I'm using.

NaH2O said:
Blender mush always reminds me of barf in a bag
1.gif
. You can't beat how much the fish love it, though....add a little Selcon and you have an extra great meal for the tank. A friend of mine and I were talking recently about making a batch of mush to split between us. She thought about using those mini ice-cube trays (something like this... Pro Cocktail Mini Ice Cube Tray), and I thought about using the plastic trays that gum comes in (like Dentyne Ice), and freezing them in those empty packs. Either way, we'd have one serving per square.
Hey Nikki,
I guess you ran across the mini ice cube tray while stocking up on the Jello shots in your same link.....LOL. Party at Nikki's! Jello shots & blender mush. Mmmm Mmmm Good!
Scott

This is one DIY i've stopped doing ;)

I just cut the seafood as i'm feeding. It just created a lot of mess for me.

Fish will love it, though.

- Ilham

OMG! ROFL!!!! :lol: Oh Scott, that was too funny....I needed that!! I think one Jell-O shot would put me on the floor.....or at least acting really really rediculous. Did you know there are 4 Huge mistakes that ruin Jell-O shot parties? I don't ever want my guests complaining behind my back about my Jell-O shot parties!

Ok I curious about soaking the mush in water and straining before feeding. When Imake my mush I soak all the food in RODI water before I blend it. Then I add selcon, garlic and nori to the seafood as well as cyclopeeze. If I soak it again before I feed it and strain it won't I be soaking out/straining out the small stuff like cyclopeeze, selcon etc.? Why do I have to resoak it? I have been just thawing in tank water and feeding. Am I doing something wrong?

I get my seafood out of the gulf still kicking, but the reason we soak to remove as much additatives used to preserve the seafood as it tends to spoil rapidly without it. I see no harm in soaking first, maybe it is done afterwards to do a better job after it is all processed then strained then you add your supplements.

Back