My new 120 upgrade

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey I'm basically doing the same, I sold off my 100g tank & starting new. I hope to get my MBV soon, it is the first step to doing things better!

Tome to fire up a thread Scooter! (hint hint;))

Matt, I've never used check valves myself ever. I just flood the place one time...It gives you so much better memories to look back on:p Naw, I've heard bad stories about them myself, and with my luck sometimes, I rather not take the chance, but that's just me...Soon time for some new pics:D

I found a use for the second overflow: I have dual bulkheads in my overflow for the sump and the other one goes (will go) to the refugium. Oh wait, I don't pay any attention to my advice!

I have a chek valve on my return, Its been on their for about 4 years?? anyway it still works fine and I have never cleaned it. In saying that having the system worked out to where it doesnt flood out is always required

MIke

aquariumdebacle said:
I found a use for the second overflow: I have dual bulkheads in my overflow for the sump and the other one goes (will go) to the refugium. Oh wait, I don't pay any attention to my advice!

yeah, i thought about that a well and that is a possible future expansion! :)

mojoreef said:
I have a chek valve on my return, Its been on their for about 4 years?? anyway it still works fine and I have never cleaned it. In saying that having the system worked out to where it doesnt flood out is always required

which type of check valve are you using? i've seen them range in price from 16.00 up to 70.00 and some with springs and others with flappers. i wasn't sure what worked and didn't.

Matt I think your syphon breaks well be fine especially if you have more then one, haven't never had one close. Guess it couldn't hurt to use a valve though. Never have myself.

Ok - I made my lighting choices today and I also ordered everything! Don't even ask about how much I spent today - it was a little crazy.

For reflectors I went with - Lumenarc A3 Mini

LA3_mini.jpg

Last edited:
so everything on this tank is going to be brand new with the exception of a few fish and a few corals! It's quite exciting.

The live rock is currently curing in the garage. Boy, does it stink!

oh yeah - I forgot I also bought a cleaning magnet.

Supposed to be there best out there - we'll see! They definitely don't come cheap.

IMD%5C150%5CAF1113.jpg

thank ya! it should be awesome once it all comes together!

i'm still debating whether i want VHO or T5s to supplement the metal halides or if the metal halides will be enough.

Looking reallllly good Matt. Reading through this is giving me some great ideas for my 140. Hope all is working out still, and I can't wait to see some more pic's. Personally I would like to see some T5's as I was thinkin of using some:lol:

mattseattle said:
thank ya! it should be awesome once it all comes together!

i'm still debating whether i want VHO or T5s to supplement the metal halides or if the metal halides will be enough.
Ive read up some on the bulbs you got, i think you will be happy without any other lighting..I love my 14k's

yeah, i think for the main lighting it will be fine meaning the lighting i run from 10 - 6 or whatever but what about dawn to dusk type lighting? :) i know that is more for us than the corals but still. i'll probably just see how the halides work and go from there.

nasher8860 said:
Looking reallllly good Matt. Reading through this is giving me some great ideas for my 140. Hope all is working out still, and I can't wait to see some more pic's. Personally I would like to see some T5's as I was thinkin of using some:lol:

So far so good.... I'm just anxious to get some live rock in the tank along with some water and some salt. :) first i have to move the 55 gallon out of the area and level the concrete before i can put the new tank in it's place. that is going to happen next week i think. the live rock is doing pretty well cycling. i've changed the water 3 or 4 times in the past week and scrubbed the rock to get the dead stuff off. we're gettin' there!

Back